• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Mixology and Cocktails!

What is a goid drink to make w/ spiced rum? ...

I was out on the island earlier, and I brought home some Siesta Key Rum, the spiced rum, but I am not a rum drinker normally ...

I mean, I never thought rum and coke was all that inspired ...

Ideas?

I mix spiced rum with apple cider and cinnamon but that's totally a fall drink.  I'm not a big fan of the spiced rum so much.

I am a fan of tequila and yesterday was tequila/mezcal day!

These are my go to summer drinks for BBQs.  My friend named them the Rawkstah 2 years ago after I was making them on the regular.  I don't know the exact measurements, but here goes a guesstimate
.75 oz of smoked Mezcal (I use El Buho)
.75 oz of blanco tequila
6oz raspberry lemonade
6oz tecate
lime wedge
hot pepper powder sprinkled in
salted rim optional...
glNjPa3.jpg

Sometimes I go all out with this and muddle the raspberries and lemon juice myself, but the Newman's Own raspberry lemonade works well, Simply lemonade is too sweet for me. 

the second cocktail I made last night started off as a tequila old fashioned but got a little more complicated along the way.
2oz anejo tequila
splash of OJ
orange bitters
angostura bitters
a splash of luxardo
a splash of grenadine
topped with seltzer water
garnished with orange peel and homemade boozy cherries
PSySJQz.jpg

The Hot Pepper said:
Oh just being nit picky. Simple syrup sounds like a better ingredient than sugar water, old bartending tip. ;)
Gotta be careful whose syrup you use. I had a bar back thay thought it was a 1:1 ratio. Needless to say that made for an interesting night. Had to remake it on the spot

I like to squeeze a bird's eye pepper in my drinks, works really well with vodka based cocktails. All these posts sound good , probably making me more of a lush thant I already am!!!

Here's an easy one I've been imbibing recently.  I leave out the orange wheel.  Drop a bird's eye in

I've become hooked on Campari as a splash in jst about all drinks I make

[SIZE=medium]Rol and rye[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Aperol mellows the dryness of rye in this highball. Up for a stiffer drink? Use Campari in its place of Aperol..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Makes[/SIZE]1

• [SIZE=medium]Combine 1 1/2 ounces Aperol and 1 1/2 ounces rye or bourbon whiskey in a highball glass filled with ice. Top with club soda and garnish with an orange wheel.[/SIZE]

I scavenged some green black walnuts this weekend and finally got around to cutting them up last night to start a batch of nocino.  This stuff has to sit in a sunny window for the next couple months but it is oh so worth it. I used white whiskey to make it instead of vodka/everclear, a piece of cinnamon stick, cloves, turbinado sugar, and lemon peel. 

9tVRnx3.jpg

<<<<<<<To teh googler down the rabbit hole of nocino!!!  

ps ~ care to elaborate on what this is/what drinks you finna make with it?  :)

Nocino is a black walnut liquor, Nocello is the lower alcohol, sweeter version (tastes like syrup to me).  It is fantastic for sipping on its own, or I've had it mixed into whiskey drinks.  I like it with a little bit of orange rind or lemon rind.  I've put it in coffee before too.  I've never had store bought nocino, but I saw it at Binny's the other day. I'm afraid to try it because I've tried store bought nocello and its pretty awful. I got hooked on homemade nocino when I used to go back and forth to Milan all the time.  I've always wanted to make it here, but could never find green walnuts.  If you know anyone with a black walnut tree Smoken I will gladly take the green walnuts off their hands, I'll even come clean them up outta the yard and get rid of the ones that I can't use! 

On another note, I had this stuff called mirto while in Sardegna (homemade again), its made with a berry similar to a blueberry, if I ever own a house with a yard, I'll probably try to plant that if it will grow where ever I end up. 

Rawkstah said:
Nocino is a black walnut liquor, Nocello is the lower alcohol, sweeter version (tastes like syrup to me).  It is fantastic for sipping on its own, or I've had it mixed into whiskey drinks.  I like it with a little bit of orange rind or lemon rind.  I've put it in coffee before too.  I've never had store bought nocino, but I saw it at Binny's the other day. I'm afraid to try it because I've tried store bought nocello and its pretty awful. I got hooked on homemade nocino when I used to go back and forth to Milan all the time.  I've always wanted to make it here, but could never find green walnuts.  If you know anyone with a black walnut tree Smoken I will gladly take the green walnuts off their hands, I'll even come clean them up outta the yard and get rid of the ones that I can't use! 

On another note, I had this stuff called mirto while in Sardegna (homemade again), its made with a berry similar to a blueberry, if I ever own a house with a yard, I'll probably try to plant that if it will grow where ever I end up.
Interesting. Never heard of it, but might need to give it a go. My sister has about 30 black walnut trees at her new place. I could fill the bed of my pickup with them.

After reading a few more recipes for this homemade nocino, I think I goofed these two jars.  I don't think they'll necessarily be bad, but almost every other recipe I've come across now talks about adding a simple syrup in instead of the sugar in the jar... I translated this recipe from one of my favorite Italian sites/blogs

1 litre of pure alcohol (90 proof) 
~24 green walnuts
6 cloves
some lemon peel the recipe says 3 little pieces of peel
200 ml mineral water
~6 inch cinnmon stick
500 g of sugar (about 2.5 cups)

-wash and dry the walnuts, quarter them and be careful not to let the insides leak out
-put them in seal able glass container add the cinnamon, cloves, lemon peel, and alcohol. Close the container and put it in a sunny place for at least 45 days, shaking it up a few times a day.
-After 45 days make a simple syrup with the water and sugar
-filter the alcohol from the walnuts and spices slowly add the cooled syrup to the alcohol.
- bottle and keep in a dark place, or keep in a dark bottle.
-it can be served at room temp or chilled in a refrigerator  

Just stumbled across this thread. Thanks for starting it Rawkstah! Been doing some research on cocktails over the last few days.  Got to love timing… 

Posted an Old Fashioned in Ajew's whose drunk thread.  Haven't had one of these in a long while. Can't beat a classic.  

Rawkstah said:

We have black walnut trees growing everywhere in my area when is the best time to harvest. Glad to send you all ya need!! :)

Back