• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MoA Jamaican scotch bonnets....

so...as a few of you know that when i came on here.. one of my mission was to be able to acquire some pods and or seeds of JAMAICAN SCOTCH BONNETs.... others came along to help me with seeds (smokemaster, midwestchilihead, jamison and GreenTea) but i had a hard time growing them due to various reasons.it was my first grow..

so anyways.. along came a guy name Steve954 who introduced us to the MoA (ministry of agriculture) Jamaican scotch bonnets...

again i am truly humbled and glad i am able to grow this pepper

got a couple germing in jiffy pucks.. and a couple in my aerogarden....
A8C9E3BC-3294-470E-8F73-B5DBE99692B2-2331-00000120D12149FF_zps98c86893.jpg

please feel free to post comment.. especially those who was honored to get these seeds....

and without further a do!!.. let us start a progress chart on this MoA Scotch bonnet pepper!!

At the end of my season.  Lots of pods, but not a single Grade A shape in the bunch.  But what a wonderful smell and flavor.  Will plant these again next year.

Got plenty saved in the freezer so am stocked for the year!

These were my best MoA pods this season.  No A pods there, but some bonnet characteristics.  No Scotch Bonnet
plant I have ever grown has produced true bonnet pods.  It just may be that my grow technique / climate  doesn't
favor them so much.  Not sure if I'm doing bonnets any more or not, will have to parse my grow list carefully since
I'm going down to 30-35 plants next season:
_DSC2285a_zps69b03f86.jpg

Another decent pull from the Scotch Bonnet, MoA - WalkGood:
_DSC1607a_zps62f38951.jpg

Fun thread - Good job everyone !

As long as they taste like bonnets, that is all that matters.  I had some A pods, but not a lot.

My bonnets did much better than I thought they would do.  The two plants I started last October seemed to be sitting still and the others were out pacing them.  Once I got them in the raised bed, they took off.  Love picking pods from the upper canopy.

I will cut back on the MoA that I grow next season as I am buried in pods.  Thanks to Greg's care package, I will be growing a red bonnet next year.

Today I got a call from STEVE954 in Fort Lauderdale Florida. He was the one to introduce the MoA Scotch Bonnet to all of us if you didn't know that already. We talk quite often probably about twice a week.  He doesn't have the means to post on here besides his smartphone which we all know is a PIA especially posting pictures.  He's still kickin ass and takin names down in SoFlo and has tons of MoA Bonnets going along with a few other strains.  Steve sent me a few pictures to post on this thread for him and all of our viewing pleasure.

STEVE954's backyard MoA garden.

Some up and coming A Grade MoA's.

Check out this BEAUTY!

As you can see he's still poundin em out!  Wonderful job buddy!

Yeah, great job, Steve!  

+1 Jeff - looks aren't everything   ;)

Jamison
Thanks for sharing the pictures from Steve.  He sent me a bunch of the seeds almost a couple of years ago which I spread put to a lot of the folks up here in the Seattle area as well as a few folks overseas.  He sure is getting nice shaped pods.

They look very similar to MoA Bonnets but unless they came from the Ministry of Agriculture (Bodles Research Center) in Jamaica or are direct descendants of seeds grown from them or others who received them then no.   They look like a Scotch Bonnet should and very nice though for sure!

I can't wait to grow them out... i've been looking for a real scotch bonnet for a few years now. The red scotch bonnets I've grown didn't have the same pungent aroma like these yellow ones. Thanks Jamison, i'm glad to see they look like a scotch bonnet should. I thought those pods I used for seed had a distinct bonnet and size to em. I'd love to do a side by side with the MoA bonnet.

I've grown MoA bonnets for a few years now, but had not much luck getting "true" bonnet shapes due to the cooler temperatures here in New England during early summer. That changed this year when we set up a mini-split in the house and had the outside heat exchanger blowing warm air onto the raised bed with the Bonnets a few feet away. Here's this year's results...
SANY1786.JPG

Back