• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Monsanto makes highly hybridized seeds available to home gardeners

grantmichaels said:
"they have to squeeze every god damned dime that they can out of it before this patent expires"

i think they're doing OK ...

i understand what it means to be a public corporation ... and i also know about new (public benefit) plan b corp's in baltimore (do you? *very* interesting, imo) ... i'd like to see more ag companies fall into this new type, plan b ...

so, are you totally anti-heirloom ... do you think it's wise to allow genetic diversity to dwindle? ... do you know how inbreeding works in terms of resilience and durability of species etc? ...

i dunno dude, i have a decent science education (admittedly now 15 yrs antiquated) myself and i have questions ... and you sound so sure, which boggles me ...

its an understatement to say that monsanto is doing OK, they make billions upon billions every quarter.

Ive no clue what a plan B coorporation is or what their aim is.

i am not anti heirloom at all. not sure what made you so sure that i am in the first place.

in no way does proffering GMO products hamper or hinder in any way the genetic diversity of what ever heirloom crops you are worried about, in the same way that F1 hybrids produced for the last 100 years have not hampered heirloom seed stocks, im not sure how they could. 

before my friend passed, he was working on launching stuffstr.com, and the new plan b corp's are VERY interesting ...

it's probably the best take-away from this thread, lol.

i don't know what to say about M ... i think i "get it," though, and i'm not sure i'm a fan of the increasingly centralization of all things in life - which is exactly what mega-corp's are doing ...

i'm generally against aggregation, consolidation, and centralization ...

who knows? ... i hear your point, but nothing about it makes me want to "buy local" any less, and help M any more ...

I have read debates over Monsanto they can get pretty heated and nasty each side making there point but neither backing down.
Eventually it turns into an argument brawl.
I am glad its remained civil here thats one of the things I like about thp very little drama here.

i don't know about all that, but i know that if i really lean on QQ about it, then i'll have to do work on my end ... and i'm not interested in heaping that on either of us - a form of respect, i guess ...

a wise old lady once told my mother, "confrontation is commitment" ... it's a good one, applied liberally ...

i won't usually bark up someone's tree unless i'm willing to see it through, and in this case i'm not really in a position to go all cray-cray on M and GMO ...

i think the scenario around GMO is nuanced, like our discourse ...

we've got kids in programs tasked w/ figuring out how to secure food for an ever growing WORLD population, and GMO is going to be a big part of it ...

i'd like to see more private money going into securing the diversity of varieties, though, and corp boards won't want to spend the money ..

What I don't like is being tied or bound to any company for any reason. If I buy something I should be able to use it - all parts of it - including seed.  Fighting to own what may come from a product you made is just asinine to me - like a nursery suing me for planting an almond tree and then planting more almond trees from the almonds said original tree produces.  Like they own the tree and all almonds that come from it forevermore?  (just my opinion)

I don't believe it's right that food is a commodity that's designed and bred to be incomplete (GURT aka terminator gene?) so that you HAVE to go back to the same source for more seed every year.  Ya it's business, but that business is fucking up nature and crosses my ethics wires.  That's kinda like the crack dealer giving you your first rock free.  (again just my opinion)  There have been multiple studies showing this exact model has greatly contributed or caused a lot of the agricultural problems in India and South America over the past 50 years.  Keeping the poor people poor.  With seeds and food.  Bad juju man.

Does it not make sense that if enough GMO crops (with say, terminator genes) interbreed with 'natural' or 'heirloom' crops that maybe just maybe that terminator gene might actually cross into the heirlooms and then that species eventually becomes extinct?    

Isn't the loss of a good percentage (maybe 50% or more by some accounts) of our biodiversity a real danger?

Do we really need to bio engineer bacteria or scorpion genes into tomatoes?  Is the resultant plant that much better than the 1000s of tomatoes we already have?  (total guess being used for example, I've no knowledge or proof of bacteria and/or scorpion genes being inserted into tomatoes - you should get my drift)  Further are you completely confident that the resultant fruit from these hypothetically engineered tomatoes is going to be totally safe for consumption?

I get that everyone needs to make a buck.  I don't get how many bucks need to be made or the manner in which their made over and over again.  When did satisfying share holders become more important than ethical agricultural leadership and feeding the world?  I don't blame Monsanto and agree there are far more wicked companies out there (ADM).  But come on man!  That hsit just ain't groovy man!  :)

*Not trying to front the tinfoil hat here - I'm trying to learn.*

grantmichaels said:
"they have to squeeze every god damned dime that they can out of it before this patent expires"

i think they're doing OK ...

i understand what it means to be a public corporation ... and i also know about new (public benefit) plan b corp's in baltimore (do you? *very* interesting, imo) ... i'd like to see more ag companies fall into this new type, plan b ...

so, are you totally anti-heirloom ... do you think it's wise to allow genetic diversity to dwindle? ... do you know how inbreeding works in terms of resilience and durability of species etc? ...

i dunno dude, i have a decent science education (admittedly now 15 yrs antiquated) myself and i have questions ... and you sound so sure, which boggles me ...

There are issues with heirlooms. Mostly inbreeding. I'm not a fan of this company. However, why are farmers buying their seeds rather than using their own?

Probably because places like McDonald's and Walmart impose requirements that food meets their spec, right down to strains and bloodlines and methods of growing etc ...

I believe I read or have heard otherwise that Cargill makes all of their meat to McD's spec, and that 80% of the ground beef served commercially in the States is actually Cargill beef at it's origin ...

Of course, it's always because people, like I always say (about everything) ... we collectively want a hamburger to be a consistent experience each time we buy one to feel secure, and we want it to be as cheap as possible ...

I don't know ... these are tough problems, certainly ...

I believe we're to believe that if we don't feel poor, hungry, low-industrialization peoples elsewhere, that there will be more and more groups akin to Somalian pirates ...

Again, I don't know ... and I certainly don't feel like I have the answer.

I do know that the pro-science crowd that gathers around my sister's FB account are pro-GMO Boulderite's ... and that doesn't fit the rest of the Boulderite traits ...

Time will tell, I guess ...

grantmichaels said:

i don't know what to say about M ... i think i "get it," though, and i'm not sure i'm a fan of the increasingly centralization of all things in life - which is exactly what mega-corp's are doing ...

i'm generally against aggregation, consolidation, and centralization ...

yea and thats completely understandable, so why do folks have to make shit up about monsanto?

i completely get that folks are against corporations and capitalism, and are entirely naturalist in general... but what i dont get why folks have to lie and distort to push their point of view.

it COMPLETELY invalidates any argument they make when they are so clearly dishonest if not outright lieing.

its like the gun control folks. i respect the ones that OUTRIGHT say that they would like to repeal the 2nd amendment far far far far more than the ones that wave bloody shirts and plead for "common sense" this and that.
its all bullshit, just be clear what you stand for, dont couch it in bullshit.
SmokenFire said:
What I don't like is being tied or bound to any company for any reason. If I buy something I should be able to use it - all parts of it - including seed.  Fighting to own what may come from a product you made is just asinine to me - like a nursery suing me for planting an almond tree and then planting more almond trees from the almonds said original tree produces.  Like they own the tree and all almonds that come from it forevermore?  (just my opinion)

I don't believe it's right that food is a commodity that's designed and bred to be incomplete (GURT aka terminator gene?) so that you HAVE to go back to the same source for more seed every year.  Ya it's business, but that business is f**king up nature and crosses my ethics wires.  That's kinda like the crack dealer giving you your first rock free.  (again just my opinion)  There have been multiple studies showing this exact model has greatly contributed or caused a lot of the agricultural problems in India and South America over the past 50 years.  Keeping the poor people poor.  With seeds and food.  Bad juju man.

Does it not make sense that if enough GMO crops (with say, terminator genes) interbreed with 'natural' or 'heirloom' crops that maybe just maybe that terminator gene might actually cross into the heirlooms and then that species eventually becomes extinct?    

Isn't the loss of a good percentage (maybe 50% or more by some accounts) of our biodiversity a real danger?

Do we really need to bio engineer bacteria or scorpion genes into tomatoes?  Is the resultant plant that much better than the 1000s of tomatoes we already have?  (total guess being used for example, I've no knowledge or proof of bacteria and/or scorpion genes being inserted into tomatoes - you should get my drift)  Further are you completely confident that the resultant fruit from these hypothetically engineered tomatoes is going to be totally safe for consumption?

I get that everyone needs to make a buck.  I don't get how many bucks need to be made or the manner in which their made over and over again.  When did satisfying share holders become more important than ethical agricultural leadership and feeding the world?  I don't blame Monsanto and agree there are far more wicked companies out there (ADM).  But come on man!  That hsit just ain't groovy man!   :)

*Not trying to front the tinfoil hat here - I'm trying to learn.*

it ALL comes down to patent rights, and patent infringment. why should any company produce IP if it can be copied without recourse?
without the valuable products brought to market by these firms, farming and agriculture in general would be far less productive, and rely more heavily on the evil pesticides you folks loathe. 

monsanto never sold products containing the so called terminator technolagy.  however i find it humerous that folks simultaneously complain that GMO crops are contaminating the wild with this and that GMO gene, AND complain about the non existant terminator products.
Dulac said:

There are issues with heirlooms. Mostly inbreeding. I'm not a fan of this company. However, why are farmers buying their seeds rather than using their own?

because they make more money with monsantos seed stock. most farmers like us all,  are just petty capitalists

queequeg152 said:
without the valuable products brought to market by these firms, farming and agriculture in general would be far less productive, and rely more heavily on the evil pesticides you folks loathe. 

I would submit that I do not think the products brought to market by these firms are that much more valuable than what we've got on the tableau.  Further I submit that these very products are far more dependent on those very pesticides and fertilizers said vendors sell for acceptable yields, and that those also harm the environment.  I rebel at being grouped into 'you folks' but I do not deny loathing pesticides.

It has been shown than proper crop rotation can easily outpace factory agribusiness production in the right circumstances, and I'll spend some time finding the studies to support that claim should it become necessary.  What I'm mostly saying is that ADM & Monsanto & the rest are total greedy f**king bastards - no better or worse than any other company in the agri business gov't supported conglomerates - and that through their greedy bullshit patent crapola have conspired to limit and impede natural biodiversity for profit and gain - to the ultimate loss for our global race.  

Among the first rules of running a profitable business is to eliminate competition.  No wonder they defend their 'patents'.  Stop acting like it's an act of science that should be revered - a bunch of stoned hippies could likely do the same given some time and proper conditions/generations.  The bullshit comes with the genetic splicing, and we really need to take a long sober look at IF that is really necessary before those crops get out into the biosphere.  Oh wait.  too f**king late...

I also take issue with your generalization of most farmers being 'petty capitalists' brother quee.  Most farmers I know are only trying to hold onto their family farms and their way of life.  Sadly most of those people bought into the county extension office's version of 'what they need to do' a few decades ago - and nearly all of them are bankrupt and gone or a very thin harvest away from being so.  And when the bank forecloses on their land who buys it?  Agribusiness of course.  Cause we all need to consume corn and soy products that have been synthesized into a buncha other foodstuffs they never were meant to be.  Cause otherwise hungry children right?

rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow...

edit: my apologies.  this stuff has effected my family in a personal way so I'm not speaking from an objective viewpoint here.  

i don't know the answer, but i have definite reservations about exerting unnecessary pressures/influences on the biosphere ...

really, though, i'm pro vasectomies and tubals over genetic modification experiments ...

#ERRTOOMANYCONSUMERS

SmokenFire said:

I would submit that I do not think the products brought to market by these firms are that much more valuable than what we've got on the tableau.  Further I submit that these very products are far more dependent on those very pesticides and fertilizers said vendors sell for acceptable yields, and that those also harm the environment.  I rebel at being grouped into 'you folks' but I do not deny loathing pesticides.

It has been shown than proper crop rotation can easily outpace factory agribusiness production in the right circumstances, and I'll spend some time finding the studies to support that claim should it become necessary.  What I'm mostly saying is that ADM & Monsanto & the rest are total greedy f**king bastards - no better or worse than any other company in the agri business gov't supported conglomerates - and that through their greedy bullshit patent crapola have conspired to limit and impede natural biodiversity for profit and gain - to the ultimate loss for our global race.  

Among the first rules of running a profitable business is to eliminate competition.  No wonder they defend their 'patents'.  Stop acting like it's an act of science that should be revered - a bunch of stoned hippies could likely do the same given some time and proper conditions/generations.  The bullshit comes with the genetic splicing, and we really need to take a long sober look at IF that is really necessary before those crops get out into the biosphere.  Oh wait.  too f**king late...

I also take issue with your generalization of most farmers being 'petty capitalists' brother quee.  Most farmers I know are only trying to hold onto their family farms and their way of life.  Sadly most of those people bought into the county extension office's version of 'what they need to do' a few decades ago - and nearly all of them are bankrupt and gone or a very thin harvest away from being so.  And when the bank forecloses on their land who buys it?  Agribusiness of course.  Cause we all need to consume corn and soy products that have been synthesized into a buncha other foodstuffs they never were meant to be.  Cause otherwise hungry children right?

rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow...

edit: my apologies.  this stuff has effected my family in a personal way so I'm not speaking from an objective viewpoint here.  

the GMO crops i am aware of use far less pesticide than their conventional counterparts, this is a fact. 
compared to the wholsome organic farms, conventional GMO farms use LESS pesticides per unit of land.
however what they use more of is herbacides, why? because they are spraying roundup instead of plowing under the soil every year to control weeds. why? because plowing weeds under with furrow plows or what ever plows they use... causes huge issues with soil erosion and dust and what ever else... it probably costs a shit load too. 
with the roundup and other herbicides used in post emergance  cases, they just plow the surface and spray turned up soil prior to planting.
also its important to note that glyphosate is very low toxicity to mamals. its also important to note that application rates of glyphosate is far higher than many of the far more toxic herbicides that are used at far lower rates.... so its not necessarly a bad thing that some farmers spray more glyphosate per acre than they would otherwise. 

conventional agriculture is not meant to be the end all of efficiency. i think you misunderstand the business aspect of big farming.  simply put...they are producing the most they can with the least amount of capital.

there are a SHITLOAD of systems that could far and away outpace conventional large scale agricultural practices with respect to land efficiency, however they will likely come nowhere close capital efficiency... that is to say, they will not generate as much money per unit of capital invested in labor, consumables, etc.
sure when food prices increase, there will be more interest in further increasing the land usage efficiency. 

what monsanto does, i would argue,  is in fact an act of unbridled business acumen combined with cutting edge science.  i would argue that what they come up with should infact be admired, as they create a whole lot of new technology, and not just with respect to GMO seeds. See monsantos "seed chipper" 

by "petty" capitalists, i was referring to the fact that almost all farmers are trying to turn a profit, and grow/expand  so they can make more money... like all of us.
the "petty" adjective was a friendly jive, meant to poke fun or juxtapose the supposedly evil farmers against the wholesome and entirely altruistic organic farmers.

lol i love amazon... All this talk about plowing and weeds piqued my interest.

i bought...

The War on Weeds in the Prairie West: An Environmental History
 for 8 bucks just now.

incase anyone else is interested, ill post the link. just click on the used selection. new the book is 30 bucks... a costly sum imo.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1552380297/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i love these small paper backs... you can beat them to death in just a weekend if you have the free time.

check out project Azorian if you are so inclined... its another good cheap used book you can get for like 6 bucks on amazon.

fair enough, i think i agree w/ this. who should be responsible for saving genetic diversity, though? i think it's important, and i don't think it's getting taken care of well. i guess there's always boycotting, but i think the more we allow power/resources to aggregate, the more closely it needs to be held to acting in the best interest of people, and not necessarily the stock returns and executive bonuses of mega-corp's ...

#OccupyAg?

grantmichaels said:
fair enough, i think i agree w/ this. who should be responsible for saving genetic diversity, though? i think it's important, and i don't think it's getting taken care of well. i guess there's always boycotting, but i think the more we allow power/resources to aggregate, the more closely it needs to be held to acting in the best interest of people, and not necessarily the stock returns and executive bonuses of mega-corp's ...

#OccupyAg?

what exactly is jeopardizing genetic diversity? pollen is not like the flue... or what ever... its range is quite limited. its quite trivial to isolate ones breeding areas from cross contamination.

queequeg152 said:

what exactly is jeopardizing genetic diversity? pollen is not like the flue... or what ever... its range is quite limited. its quite trivial to isolate ones breeding areas from cross contamination.

in a practical sense, if an exceedingly large amount of square acres are taken by the same M crops, there's that much less diversity ...

most things in life seem to fit the model of "everything in moderation," and i'm not prepared to go "all in" on pissing in the face of MoNat over something we're just barely beginning to understand ...

i mean, i love tech advancement, but i'm not (what i consider) foolish enough to bet the house on it straight away ...

i think what we're seeing in superbugs from engineering abx should be warning about what might come behind influencing the biosphere ...

there are plenty of arguments to be made about monocultures, but i dont see what it has to do with GMO technolagy?

regarding super bugs/weeds, as ive said many times in other threads... these can be managed quite effectively with simple techniques such as refuge planting.
http://www.monsanto.com/products/pages/refuge.aspx

regarding super weeds, these have to be managed by an all of the above technique... timing, plowing, alternating herbicides and new technology. single modal herbicides are the most venerable to resistance. super resistant weeds have been around for a long long time, far before glyphosate came into existance.

i'm past the weeds and plants to the things that consume the food (us, other animals, us again because of animals)) and the effect the process has on things we can't yet measure - most notably the ocean (plankton etc) ...

i think there's a lot to be said for brazen discovery, and little to be said for brazen roll-out/deployment ... personally, in my experience, anyways.

This news is relevent to the discussion:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/16/us-food-aid-climate-idUSKBN0LK1PO20150216

TL;DR

"Some 75 percent of the world's plant genetic diversity has been lost since the 1900s, the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has reported, as farmers shift from local varieties to genetically uniform, high-yielding crop breeds."

"About 75 percent of the world's food is generated from only 12 plants and five animal species, the FAO has said."

"The 25 percent of seeds for food crops not held by small farmers are preserved in gene banks, researchers said."

subsistence farmers should worry about diversity of crops... not the guy in Nebraska riding in a million dollar combine.

yea i get it, but i dont think this is news to anyone. from what i can tell, the article is referring to cultivars, not native species of plants. with that in mind it makes perfect sense does it not?

some 75% of all the worlds automobile diversity has been 'lost' since the 1900's as well. shit moves on. i would argue that the plant breeds we have today are far and away more resilient vigorous and disease resistant than they were even just 50 years ago. it does not mean that the genes encoding for particular resistances have been lost though.
yea it sucks theat those cultivars were not saved in some seed vault, but its understandable why they dissapeared... i mean do you really want to grow some bullshit tomato variety from the 1900's? fuck man i dont.... i want something that's had its genome sequenced, and the genes encoding for this and that virus resistance CLEARLY established, and labeled on the seed brochures...

yes its a shame that we rely on  monocultures for the vast bulk of food production, but we are producing a shitload of food as a result of it.

imo there is much more odious shit going on within organized agriculture. just look at the massive algal blooms.

Back