• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Moved to Germany, but it's alright

So, I and the wife moved to Germany a few weeks ago so I could accept a very nice job offer. One of the hardest things was to give away all my pepper plants - I had bhut jolokia, tons of scotch bonnets, fatalli, etc.

Today's my birthday, and my wife messaged me a little earlier saying she got me something special.

I came home to find a huge Habanero plant!

I can't say how happy I am! Germans don't seem to like hot and spicy food - it's a real novelty here. The only place you can find something relatively spicy is at an Indian or Thai place, and they still tone it down for the average German. I knew this coming here, and plan on mail-ordering tons of hot sauce..

Anyway, I just had to share my joy. :) I haven't posted much lately due to the move, nor have I kept up with how people are doing, so I appologize.

- Eric

Sickmont said:
cool. time to hook up with Chilliac for some plants and seeds, bro.

Hell yeah. Just need to find a permanent place to live, first. :)

The place we're hoping to get has a full balcony. The grow season is probably pretty short here, which may help or hurt.. Will have to see..

- Eric

Welcome to Germany. Be sure to get in touch if you need any seeds or whatever. The season here is shorter than in most of the US, but still long enough to grow some decent plants. You are right, you are most likely to find hot food at asian places, but spicy food is becoming a bit of a fashion over here, you get chili this and chili that, but most isn't that hot. There are some really good online stores for hot sauces etc though.

imaguitargod said:
DEAR GOD! WHY COULDN'T THAT BE ME!!! TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!

You'd love Germany. Bunch of carnivores. If it moves, kill it and eat it!

My wife found some true Scotch Bonnets in the market the other day.

Funny, when she bought those, and when she bought my plant, she was warned over and over and over again that it was VERY VERY hot. They looked at her funny when she said she still wanted the peppers/plant. hehe

Anyway, let me know if you ever have the chance to visit. I'm in Bavaria, specifically I'm near Nürnberg. I'll have a guest bedroom. :)

- Eric

Chiliac said:
Welcome to Germany. Be sure to get in touch if you need any seeds or whatever. The season here is shorter than in most of the US, but still long enough to grow some decent plants. You are right, you are most likely to find hot food at asian places, but spicy food is becoming a bit of a fashion over here, you get chili this and chili that, but most isn't that hot. There are some really good online stores for hot sauces etc though.

Thanks!!!

Where exactly are you? I'll certainly hit you up for seeds, assuming I can get a good balcony.

Have you had any luck growing any of the super-super-hots? Like jolokia, fatalli, etc? They seem to need a really long season.

Let me know what sites I should see for sauces! I was just going to rely on UK sites, but if there are local sites, that would be a bonus!

- Eric, happy to know another chilehead in Germany

elequin said:
You'd love Germany. Bunch of carnivores. If it moves, kill it and eat it!

Anyway, let me know if you ever have the chance to visit. I'm in Bavaria, specifically I'm near Nürnberg. I'll have a guest bedroom. :)

- Eric
Let's not forget about the beer ;)

I'll definitly hit you uup when I'm in the area (hopefully next spring).

imaguitargod said:
Let's not forget about the beer ;)

I'll definitly hit you uup when I'm in the area (hopefully next spring).

I haven't had a bad beer here. Kellerbier, dunkel, pils, helles, everything is good.

I'm going to Oktoberfest tomorrow. :onfire:

I love it here, except for the lack of scharf food!

- Eric

Alright, I'm still sorta training for Oktoberfest, so I'm drinking my wife's weight in beer.. (thank gawd not my weight - I'd never get there!) But I have to stop checking this board at some point.

I hope to stay up to date here, although since I'm still in a hotel and haven't found a permanent home yet, my connectivity will be spotty.

Good luck everyone with your peppers, and I look forward to reading your stories!

Chiliac, if you're anywhere close to Bayern, we need to hook up. :-)

Alabama Jack, good luck sir! Wish I could have visited you when I was still in town!

GuitarGod or whatever you call yourself these days (hehe): man, visit me when you can - you're going to love this place, as long as you bring your own hot sauce. Even if you don't feel like bringing any, I'll keep a good stock, so ... come visit. You rock star, you.

- Eric

elequin said:
Thanks!!!

Where exactly are you? I'll certainly hit you up for seeds, assuming I can get a good balcony.

Have you had any luck growing any of the super-super-hots? Like jolokia, fatalli, etc? They seem to need a really long season.

Let me know what sites I should see for sauces! I was just going to rely on UK sites, but if there are local sites, that would be a bonus!

- Eric, happy to know another chilehead in Germany
Chiliac, if you're anywhere close to Bayern, we need to hook up. :-)

I'm in Halle, that is about an hour and a half south of Berlin, probably about 3 hrs from where you live. But that's cool, I don't mind travelling and I'm sure we can hook up for a funny weekend or sth like that soon! Just get settled first and make sure you got a biiiig balcony for lotsa plants!

Here are the best sites to order hot stuff from in Germany:

www.pepper-king.com (my fave)

www.pepperworld.com (close second)

Both have a good selection, but I think the sites are in German only, so if you need any assistance, let me know!

The growing season and climate isn't too bad here. I just harvested some Nagas yesterday and 7Pots and Habs are almost ready for picking! The secret is to start early. I start around x-mas. The season would be way too short if I started in May when the last risk of frost is over, of course.

elequin said:
I haven't had a bad beer here. Kellerbier, dunkel, pils, helles, everything is good.

I'm going to Oktoberfest tomorrow. :onfire:

Ein Prosit, Ein Prosit, Gemütilchkeit!

i726CE9FB-3CB4-44DA-BAAA-7D75A533688C.jpg

iF12B5A61-E7E5-4778-8A25-8A00506C2122.jpg

Going there seems to be like a dream coming true for a lot of people abroad. I've never been there and I doubt I'll ever go there tbh. :)

I almost got lost in the Black Forest in Germany as a young teenager trying to do something sneaky out of my parents view. I know... it could only happen to me. Anyway it's a lovely country.

rainbowberry said:
I almost got lost in the Black Forest in Germany as a young teenager trying to do something sneaky out of my parents view. I know... it could only happen to me.

Next time try to hooking up with a guy who has a good sense of direction

It wasn't a nice stocky German man though *sigh* It was sneaking off with the cheap Camel cigarettes from a vending machine and dark rum that was soooo cheap over there. Blame my brother, he introduced me to all that then acted like the 'angel kid'.

Back