• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hybrid Moving with pepper plants cross country?

Might be moving to the upper midwest later this summer. Have a core group of twenty different peppers in 5 gallon containers that I intend on taking with me if I do go. Figuring I'd just throw them in the back of the U-haul and jet.

I'm sure this is probably not cool w/ some branch or department of our gov, but say I get pulled over and they wanna check somethin out- could happen for various reasons- anybody know of any laws or think someone will trip out over it? Other than the "what kinda plants are these?" I know shipping/ bringing stuff into CA is pretty regulated- pests that are only seasonal in the midwest can live year round in some parts of our state, and they wanna keep that stuff as quashed as they can... and for whatever other reasons- just wondering if anybody has any input. Wanna know in case I go!

One thing going for you is a lot of the bourder checks are not manned as often these days.
At least at dark thirty and on some guys day off...I'd think Ca. maybe Ariz. and texas would be the only states line they might make you open a truck-bunch of illegals in the back etc.
Carry a tarp if you are using an open trailer so you can cover the trailer before hitting the bourders.
If you are using a U haul truck just put stuff in front of them so you can hide them but still get to them with minimum unpacking-the lighter boxes etc. .
San Diego sun to cold , snow,rain and mud half the year...

Your only talking about a few days drive or so ,box them up.

Never had anyone check what I had in a u haul truck before and I've been on a few cross country moving trips with friends.
Maybe with homeland security it might be different now-don't know.

I think you would have to be really unlucky or doing something really stupid to get them to empty the truck out to see what is in it.

Like the truck smells like skunk weed and your halides are too bright shining through the crack of the door at night. :)

I think they just take the plants if they catch you at the bourder even after saying you didn't have any plants.
Tell them the guy at the nursery that sold you the plants said they were ok because they were inspected or something so you just took them for a ride.
Maybe call a few moving companies and act like you want an estimate for moving your stuff-ask about moving plants...

Get some tall boxes that fit your plants and close them up before hitting a bourder.
They mail plants all the time in boxes I'd think an open one would be cool for a day or so.

Thanks SM-makes sense, pack it all lin the front and go... Crisis averted, ain't got anything else I'd take there other than the twenty peppers, so I should be good!

I moved from Michigan to Washington with a large moving truck. Never got stopped, even when I went through the toll booths or the weigh stations. I'd be more worried about the stuff in back shifting and or falling on the plants! There is always some of that transpiring on a long haul like that.

I'm in Texas ..... don't remember concerns about plants crossing in . I think there may be about some live stock. I do remember going to Ca and them taking all fruit and plants.

Peace, good luck , and have a safe trip !
P. Dreadie

pepperfever said:
Where in the midwest are you going to live?

Wherever I run out of gas! :lol: Nah, not sure yet. Maybe Wisconsin, or somewhere west of there. Still figuring it out.

Nightmared last night about overheated plants in a U-haul. Good to know some of you have done it- thanks all for the input!

Minnesota is west of WI and lots of great things here, good place to grow peppers. More wildlife than you can imagine unless you live in big city. Lakes, rivers, fishing, what's not to like?

pepperfever said:
Minnesota is west of WI and lots of great things here, good place to grow peppers. More wildlife than you can imagine unless you live in big city. Lakes, rivers, fishing, what's not to like?

Well being a Packers fan Jackie, I can come up with something I'm sure ;):lol:

pepperfever said:

More lakes in Wisconsin than Minnesota. Look it up.

I'm just saying...

:cool:

LMAO @ maligator...SSSSHHHHH!!!!! We tell the tourists that the state bird is the loon...we know it's the mosquito. Yeah well as far as more lakes, the ones in MN just got tired of counting so we only claim 10,000. J/K All in good fun, I've been known to root for a cheesehead if the Vikings are out of the playoffs.

mwm...Wiconsin has snow too!

Shoulda posted this earlier I guess. Been getting by, but that's about it. The day after I posted this, I get a call out of pretty much nowhere. A few meetings later- long story short, got a pretty sweet probably long term gig starting up Thursday!

Thanks again for the input though- hopefully if and when I do load a U-haul I can narrow it down a bit more than twenty pepper plants.

Sweet, so your not leaving SoCal after all! Funny how things work out when they need to, it just wouldn't be the same talking fishing and peppers with you living well anywhere other than Pacific beach or Ocean beach ya know. If I was moving that far I might take one maybe two plants max and just start all over from seed when I got there. Good luck to you Scott where ever you may land. Nice people are universally welcome worldwide.

Right on PRF I appreciate that bro, thanks! I'm gonna be pretty busy for awhile now- hopefully will be able to get some fishin' time in!

Back