• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mulch color...42% increased yeilds...

It sounds great Nat, especialy for the commercial farm. If their claims of a 42% increase in yeild is to be believed a farmer would be mad not to use it.
I think it's use by the average pepper head would come down to cost and availability but other than that it seems like a great addition to the garden bed.

Novacastrian said:
It sounds great Nat, especialy for the commercial farm. If their claims of a 42% increase in yeild is to be believed a farmer would be mad not to use it.
I think it's use by the average pepper head would come down to cost and availability but other than that it seems like a great addition to the garden bed.
I'm going to try to get my hands on some of the red stuff. If I have any luck, I'll post it here.

Looks very Encouraging Nat theres a few company's in the u.k selling something very similar and ive seen trials of it in shropshire looks like it was winter greens,Kale and Savoy cabbage they where trialling it with :rolleyes:

I'd rather hear from someone who has used it than from the manufacturer as naturally they will put some spin on the results, I am always dubious when I hear unsupported allegations like these. the following quote is from a book in my pepper library - Peppers: Vegetable And Spice Capsicums by PW Bosland (Paul Bosland of NMSU Bhut Jolokia fame) and EJ Votava:

"Plastic mulch can affect the microclimate to change the growth and development of pepper plants. The mulch surface colour affects the growth and development of bell pepper plants. In areas where late summer or autumn plantings are possible and soil warming is not beneficial, a white-surfaced mulch is often used. Pepper plants growing over red mulch are taller and heavier as compared with plants grown over black and yellow mulch (Decoteau et al 1990). Mulch colour did not affect leaf area per plant. Darker colours of mulch (red and black) reflected less total light and far-red and red light and also warmed the soil more than yellow and white (Decoteau et al 1990).

White mulches can modify the radian energy levels entering a foliage canopy by increasing the soil surface reflectance. Gerard and Chambers (1967) reported that reflective coatings increased the yield of bell peppers over irrigated bare ground plots. Dufault and Wiggins (1981) reported that plants grown over white mulch were shorter, fruited earlier, and produced higher overall yields than unmulched plants. Reflective mulches increased earliness and yield."

there is more, much more, they go on to discuss aluminium mulch, plastic, spraying reflective coatings onto paper mulch etc. what do I use? sugar cane mulch. I grow in terracotta pots. the mulch is very light in colour so reflects light back up into the foliage, helps reduce heat and breaks down to add to the compost. it's also a little difficult for snails to traverse.

Red mulch has been popular with tomato and pepper growers for many years. I've used it for a few seasons but I can't really tell how much it has helped

POTAWIE said:
Red mulch has been popular with tomato and pepper growers for many years. I've used it for a few seasons but I can't really tell how much it has helped

If you can't "really" tell if there has been an improvment there is something not right, IMO.

I remember this coming up around march when the northern hemisphere people were planting out... Did anyone trial it?

RS

If I had two identical greenhouses and the same plants and growing conditions with red mulch in only one greenhouse then I could tell you how much it helps but I don't so I'll trust the experts to do the science.

Both I and a friend tried the red plastic and neither of us could see any difference. Another thing, the supposed benefits of reflecting the red light back to the leaves (which the plastic manufacturers claim) is negated once the plant gets larger, since the leaves block the sun from reaching the ground. It does help with weed control, especially when the plants are smaller and have not shaded the ground.

Mike

Good info. I will use the black foil next year for two reasons:
-I can't find the red foil here and
-I do not really think it'd pay off for me, especially after having read what Mike and Potawie said!

My girlfriend's mom grew tomatoes for the first time ever this year. She ordered a kit that came with a red plastic cover that goes on top of the pot + seedlings. She only had one red plastic mulch thing but 2 pots worth of tomatoes, so I can vouch for the red plastic actually working. The pots had the same tomato varieties, but the ones with the red mulch produced more, larger tomatoes than the un-mulched pot.

Honestly I thought she was crazy for covering the top of the pot w/ a sheet of red plastic, I figured it would cook the roots. But turns out it works, at least for tomatoes.

I'll continue to use red plastic in my greenhouse and if I see the ecocovers locally I'll definitely try them in my garden

A red covering would do the opposite. It would reflect red light away from the plant. Right?

As opposed to mulch that would reflect it up at the plant.

Here's a good read on plastic mulches
http://www.plasticulture.org/fg_wavelength.htm

"Wavelength selective films are designed to absorb specific wavelengths of the sun’s radiation and thus change the spectrum of the sunlight passing through the film and/or being reflected back into the plant canopy. These light changes can have a marked effect on plant growth and development. For example, the use of greenhouse selective films can change plant height, internode length, time to flowering, bloom size, and aid in disease control. For field production the major effects are warming soil temperature to hasten early growth, blocking weed growth enabling a reduction of herbicide use, increasing color saturation of developing fruit, and increasing carbohydrate transport to developing fruit. Additional benefits to crop production may include modifying air temperature, light diffusion, humidity in a greenhouse and insect monitoring and feeding disruption"

chilliman64 said:
I'd rather hear from someone who has used it than from the manufacturer as naturally they will put some spin on the results, I am always dubious when I hear unsupported allegations like these.
If I read the information correctly, the testing was done at Massey University trial field in Palmerston North, New Zealand in 2006. While I've never heard of this University, I have trouble thinking that any University would lower themselves to advertising for a commercial product unless they were convinced that it was a good product. The numbers come from the University's testing, not the Manufacturer.

Am I seeing this wrong?

Back