• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Mushroom Hot Sauce ??

I did a search but found nothing on making a Mushroom hot sauce. 
I have some pearl oysters growing and got the idea of making some from them. Going to keep them in Vinegar till I have enough. Don't want to cook them since their delicate. Mushrooms are natural MSG so should make a nice flavour.

There's mushroom soy sauce, some Chinese mushrooms and chilies in oil used for cooking, and a brand name, Tutto Calabria Hot Spread Sauce, which is a paste of chilies and mushrooms and some other veg in oil. I'd go the paste route. I'm sure it's good on crostini and hot subs too, like a tapanade.

tutto_calabria.jpg

While I've never made hot sauce out of mushrooms, I have made hot sauce for mushrooms. I used Red Hungarian Wax, and ripe cubanelles. Lots of garlic, some vinegar and a little sugar. It balanced to be mildly savory, and fairly smooth taste. it had very little heat though. it was slightly thinner then ketchup. tasted very good on the sautéed Aborted Entoloma.

Similar ingredients may work if you were to try and make a sauce out of hot peppers, and mushrooms.

Back