• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My 2014 Las Vegas grow Log

Hey everyone thought it would be cool to show you my 2014 grow list.  

-Giant White Habañero
-Pink Tiger
-Carolina Reaper
-Bhut Jolokia (Red)
-Bhut Jolokia (White) 
-Bhut Jolokia (Chocolate)
-Brown Moruga
-MOA Scotch Bonnet
-Pimienta De Neyde
-Red Savina
-White Devils Tongue
-Ají Pineapple
-Brainstrain (Red)
-Naga Morich

I started these my seeds mostly in peat pellets and in a Jiffy Seed starting tray. I also used a heat mat to keep them nice and happy. They all sprouted within two weeks and I kept them under artificial light 24/7. After a week under the led grow light I transplanted them into 16oz Dixie cups filled with Fox Farms, Calcium (from eggshells), and magnesium (from espom salts).

Now I put them near a window during the daylight hours and put them under the LEDs all night. This will hopefully accelerate their growth.    

If you guys have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to post.

Here are the little babies :D

tGS9YQC.jpg

kke4BEn.jpg

8Tuv2pL.jpg

AGRFjKV.jpg

Wp1sO8b.jpg

vTQK0p7.jpg

X8ucn4c.jpg

7ib0wrK.jpg
 This one suffered some damage during transplanting and I didn't think she would make it but kept it under the lights and it looks like she will pull through  :)

ta0d45A.jpg

So Purple  :surprised:

EV8ksgC.jpg

Sorry couldn't post all my pictures but here's my album if you are interested. http://imgur.com/a/FKFl8

Nice healthy looking plants. Awesome that the brown Moruga will pull through too. It's amazing how resilient pepper plants can be. I've got three plants now that probably should've died but pulled through and are doing great. Good luck on your grow!

Thanks MeatHead, Ive had my fair share of scares after a long day and coming home to check on my seedlings after they have endured a long day, in their dry soil  :P. They look really sad and droopy and about to die, then I water them over night and in the morning they are as happy as clams. Lol. 

Hey Javi! Looking good! Post some pics of the big ones and the bhut.

The MoA seems overwatered, but everything is doing great.

Let's hope we can have a good year here in Vegas.

-Walt

Vegas_Chili said:
Hey Javi! Looking good! Post some pics of the big ones and the bhut.

The MoA seems overwatered, but everything is doing great.

Let's hope we can have a good year here in Vegas.

-Walt
Thanks Walter, I was wondering why it looked a bit yellow when I was taking pictures. 
Since then it has gotten greener :D so that's a plus.  

I know you're anxious to see how the peppers look so here is the pics of the Bhut Jolokia and a few of the others. 

6l1hXws.jpg

1f3H0jc.jpg

W5diy8V.jpg

3wfbvBo.jpg

VojICoE.jpg

Some of the Gnarly ones are starting to ripen  :dance:
Here is the Trinidad Scorpion with one pod lol. Is finally starting to turn  :)

wUJg2TG.jpg

4WpqHOS.jpg

Okay here is an update on my glog. My plants are getting close to 24/7 lighting either from the sun or LEDs.

They all seem to be growing quickly and everyones happy exept for my White Devils tongue they passed away a couple days ago. 

The Moruga Suffered some damage during transplanting and I believe that has somehow affected how it is growing. It is only about 1" tall and already has a fork. Im happy and i hope it grows like a dwarf plant. :D 

Here is the pictures of my plants, I've placed two plants in each picture to cut down on uploads. 

EcScirq.jpg

2wTbjMh.jpg

kaHp1fK.jpg

Gqy2o52.jpg

QfQl6yp.jpg

5zAI895.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality I couldn't figure out how to take a picture of a dark plant :P 

Spicegeist said:

Wow, that's a lot of pods, nice work! 

I'm guessing that's an assam bhut/bih jolokia based off of the pale coloration of the pre-ripe pods...

Just in case you want to read up on it:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/41582-the-bih-jolokia-story/
Thanks for the complements and information on the assam bhut/bih jolokia and they do have pale pre-ripe pods. 

And I can't take all the credit for these pods I received the plant when it was already budding from Vegas_Chili. 

Devv said:
Looking good!

Are these inside all season? That Vegas heat is brutal!
Thanks Devv,

The peppers will remain indoors for a couple months and then I plan on transitioning them outside.  I wont have space in this room, it would look like a forest lol.
I am planning on making some sort of shade cloth tent thing to protect them from the brutal sun. I hope the heat doesn't burn them up, but we'll see. 

I'm in south Tejas, we run 95-100° from May to Sept. sometimes hotter, but not Vegas heat.

I use a 30% shade cloth once it gets above 90°, it helps quite a bit. But even in the garden I had to water every day, that got old... Last year for the first time I used containers for 8 plants, 5 gal plastic buckets. I couldn't keep them watered and moved them to 20 homemade grow bags, that made a huge difference.

Good luck this season!

Devv said:
I'm in south Tejas, we run 95-100° from May to Sept. sometimes hotter, but not Vegas heat.

I use a 30% shade cloth once it gets above 90°, it helps quite a bit. But even in the garden I had to water every day, that got old... Last year for the first time I used containers for 8 plants, 5 gal plastic buckets. I couldn't keep them watered and moved them to 20 homemade grow bags, that made a huge difference.

Good luck this season!
That's very similar to what I plan on doing. Any tips on using the grow bags? 
Oh and i'm interested in how you made the grow bags?

I'm planing on either using 2,3, or 7 gallon pots. I have like 3 dozen 7 gallon grow bags that I got from a yard sale but they are used and I rinsed them off today. The only issue I can think of is sanitation and the handles are ripped because the sun dried them out. 

And I did a quick search on the craigslist and found this shade cloth for 10 bucks http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/for/4276836430.html
I am going to check it out tomorrow and stand under it to see if it would be adequate for my application. 
Any thoughts?

Devv said:
Can't beat a $10.00 shade cloth, mines 20x40', paid $160 for it, a good investment, hoping for 5 years of use.

Here's the thread for the homemade grow bags, it cost me $5 per 20 gal bag. This is a weed site, but the info is golden:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=262977

Keep it green!
Wow thanks Devv!!!
I wanted to get some grow pots that were smaller than 7 gallon because i want to conserve on soil and expenses. I think I will break down the grow bags and sew the material and make some smaller grow pots  :surprised:. Im thinking maybe 2, 3, or 5 gallon bags.  

Mighty Mouse said:
Wow thanks Devv!!!
I wanted to get some grow pots that were smaller than 7 gallon because i want to conserve on soil and expenses. I think I will break down the grow bags and sew the material and make some smaller grow pots  :surprised:. Im thinking maybe 2, 3, or 5 gallon bags.  
If they're outside, the larger the better. Do you own or apartment? 5gal was way too small for our summer temps. They were hurting everyday, after a soaking the day before. I was home by 3PM and they were mas sagging. They just won't do it in high temps unless they have a large container...

Devv said:
If they're outside, the larger the better. Do you own or apartment? 5gal was way too small for our summer temps. They were hurting everyday, after a soaking the day before. I was home by 3PM and they were mas sagging. They just won't do it in high temps unless they have a large container...
No actually I still live with my mom so I have a back yard for the plants. Thanks for the info on the 5 gallon pots being to small. I guess i'll have to stick with the 7 gal pots and just have to buy more soil lol. :P 

Thank you again  :)

Update So the plants are growing pretty quickly and here are some updated pictures. 

The kids can't wait to go outside. I always catch them looking out the window.
Fts4xSn.jpg

bLVJbA7.jpg

I had an accident he jumped off a table.  :rolleyes:
rpk5vfA.jpg

opad9n5.jpg

IupajaZ.jpg

I don't know what the term is for the tri-tip seedlings but here's one
xeBzRpY.jpg

tTQii1P.jpg

OFrustM.jpg

This is the plant that I hope grows like a dwarf. If it stays tiny i'll keep it indoors 
q8UJ7Q9.jpg

UasSwSh.jpg

Devv said:
Plants look good!

Yeah I knocked 8 plants off a chair a few weeks ago, they were in a box and I removed one upsetting the balance. They handled it well ;)
Thanks Devv. 

This accident happened because I had a big sheet of white paper on a table top that was smaller. I picked up the cup with the plant and then when I set it back down onto the sheet of paper I made the mistake of setting the cup down on a section where there was no table under it and I let it go. I surely thought it was going to die but it looks like it will be fine :)

January 20 2014 Glog update photos. Just taken this morning :D

The Pink Tiger is the tallest in the bunch.
wN6j7SR.jpg

qcs6cy6.jpg

Starting to grow a bit and leaves are spreading fast :)
sgJXL6C.jpg

8hLQWHP.jpg

ZXBKzKM.jpg

And on another note I picked up the shade cloth and it measures roughly 12' x 15'
I'd Say its a steal at $10 and right about 5.5 cents / sq. ft.  :P

All my plants are still getting close to 24/7 lighting about half and half from the sun and LEDs, respectively.

Back