My 4 year old Jalabanero plant

here is my Jalabanero Hybrid plant that is now 4 years old. Numerous buds have started on it and I can't wait to have peppers early!

DSCN1340.jpg

and here is a one year old Habanero plant, it also has lots of buds starting on it, it barely grew any peppers last year I hope that is a different story this year.

DSCN1339.jpg

Dale got me some of those seeds last year!(jalabanero)

I LOVED it. Fantastic hybrid. I still have powder, but no plants this year.:(

I'm not familiar with Jalabanero, but it sounds great and the pod pic is sweet. Gotta put that on my list.

bigt said:
I'm not familiar with Jalabanero, but it sounds great and the pod pic is sweet. Gotta put that on my list.

PM me your address and after some peppers have grown I'll send you some seeds.

What do you do when it gets too cold outside just put it in a basement? Also if I plant mine in the dirt could I expect them to survive the winter if trimmed? Nights don't get too cold here in So. Cal, but I'm not sure if it would survive the winter in the ground or if I need to dig it up.

skealo said:
I've never heard of that. Sounds like an outstanding pepper. How's the taste?

The taste is great. Much hotter than a jalapeno, just a hint of the c-chinense citrus flavor. Mostly jalapeno flavor.

Overwintering is easy in southern Cal, just cover them if it is going to frost or freeze with a blanket. Probably won't happen too often!

Badger said:
That Jalabañero is one funky lookin' plant - did you cross-pollinate it yourself?:shocked:
Yes, I cross pollinated a Jalapeno Plant with a Habanero 5 years ago. This is the soul survivor from that cross.

skealo said:
I've never heard of that. Sounds like an outstanding pepper. How's the taste?
It's a nice cross taste between a Jalapeño and Habanero

LGHT said:
What do you do when it gets too cold outside just put it in a basement? Also if I plant mine in the dirt could I expect them to survive the winter if trimmed? Nights don't get too cold here in So. Cal, but I'm not sure if it would survive the winter in the ground or if I need to dig it up.
The first year I put it in the basement and used regular florescent lights to give it enough light. Once it was warm enough out I put it outside. The second and third year I brought it into my store I own (Video Game Underground in Toledo) and the window front faces South so I had some awesome greenhouse style lighting going on to keep it alive all winter long. Any night it dips below 50 I have brought them inside. So if you're in S. CA I wouldn't think it would get that cold out there but I could be wrong. I trimmed the heck out of the plant the first year I kept it over the winter and lightly trimmed last 2 years. I potted up once and stuck a knife in the ground at various places to stimulate the roots when I left it in the same pot.

Hey Web! Glad to see you staggered back to us for an update. The plant looks great. Have you thought about crossing it again to furtur the heat and look more?

Web_Of_Hair said:
The first year I put it in the basement and used regular florescent lights to give it enough light. Once it was warm enough out I put it outside. The second and third year I brought it into my store I own (Video Game Underground in Toledo) and the window front faces South so I had some awesome greenhouse style lighting going on to keep it alive all winter long. Any night it dips below 50 I have brought them inside. So if you're in S. CA I wouldn't think it would get that cold out there but I could be wrong.

Ok I was concerned that if I put my plants in the ground it wouldn't make it over the winter, but the avg. temp. for my area in the winter months is around 55 with record lows in the upper 40's. I have lots of other herbs like, mint, oregano, that survive over the winter and I do nothing at all so hopefully the peepers will be ok too.

Thanks for the info.

Herbs like oregano and sage are 50X heartier than peppers. And it is statistically impossible to kill mint. Not the best barometers to use for peppers.

Don't get me started on mint! That stuff is invasive and should have a warning label on all seed packets and live plants . Never never never plant unless potted.

Kevin

Mint is the vegetative version of tribbles.

Truly though Web, that jalabanero was awesome.

I actually added those in with my ripe red jalapenos for powder. They upped the heat but left the flavor intact. WOW.

Back