• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My Chilli and Garlic Jelly

I love this jelly its sweet and sticky and got a lovely kick. You of course can do more/less Garlic and chillies to your own taste.

Ingredients
  • 2 Heads of fresh Garlic
  • 12 super chillies
  • 5 Scotch bonnets
  • 1kg Cooking apples roughly chopped
  • 2 Tbsp White wine vinegar
  • 450g white granulated sugar
  • 1 Tsp of sea salt

GardenApril2011001.jpg
Using a food processor whizz up the garlic and chillies to a paste. No need to peel the garlic or de-seed the chillies

GardenApril2011002.jpg

Transfer the paste to a large/preserving pan with the apples and 1 litre of water.
GardenApril2011004.jpg

Bring to the boil cover and simmer for 40 minutes until all the ingredients are very soft.
GardenApril2011012.jpg

Spoon mixture into a jelly bag and leave overnight to drip.
GardenApril2011013.jpg

Next day put the liquid, Vinegar,salt and sugar in a clean pan.
Stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat and cook at full rolling boil for about 10 mins until setting point is reached. Can take a bit longer depending on the apples and pectin levels. One batch is never the same I find.
I keep a saucer in the freezer and put a few drops onto it, poke it with my finger and when it ripples its ready to pot.
Pour into hot sterilised jars and you are done.
jelly004.jpg

It doesn't have a great colour granted but its nice stuff anyway.
icon_lol.gif

Interesting. Almost looks like apple butter. :)

How's the taste and what did you do with the leftover solids?

First you taste the sweetness, then the garlic which is quite strong then the kick from the chilli. It does melt in the mouth well too. I just put the leftover solids in the waste.

I like it with Pork and is great with pigeon too.

Interesting. Almost looks like apple butter. :)

How's the taste and what did you do with the leftover solids?

Sounds really good!

I make a hot sauce where I strain all the solids out. I call it "silky" because it's so smooth. Anyway, I spread the strained out solids into a thin layer and pop into the dehydrator. Once dry, I grind into a powder.

Something you might want to consider and experiment with when you make your next batch. :)

Back