• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

My favorite hot sauce

Hey y'all,

The other day I noticed that I was down to my last bottle of this stuff....

http://www.hotsauce.com/The-Cheech-Mojo-Mango-Habanero-Hot-Sauce-p/1972.htm

It's not really hot at all, I could drink the stuff, but man its got great flavor and there's nothing that I don't put it on. Trouble is I wish it did have more heat and the closest joint that even carry's the stuff is about an hour away.

So here's my riff. I've hacked this sauce before many times but this one I reckon is the closest yet to it but with more of the hotness I like to be liking.

5 orange store bought habs
1 mango
8 oz shredded carrot
1/4 chopped medium size yellow onion
5 cloves of garlic
1 C of cider vinegar
1 C water
2 T brown sugar
2 t sea salt
2 T tomato paste

Got ever 'thang in the pool less the tomato paste and brown sugar and simmered it for about an hour.

Gave it the whir n' stir with the boat motor and then added the tomato paste and brown sugar.

This was tasting most hot blue and righteous!

Filled and capped the bottles while hot and inverted. Nice.

Put this sheeit on ever 'thang y'all!

96strat said:
Let me send you a couple types of sauce to try out. Andrew

Very much obliged for the offer Andrew but if I bring any more sauces or chile's into the house my dear sweet wife will go jihad on me. Half my pantry is overrun with hot stuff and she's put a moratorium on me until I use up what I have.

The onliest reason that I got to make this sauce was because she's out of town on 'bidness.

Just made this for my first hot sauce TB! Nice easy recipe and I had all the ingredients but only 4 red habs left so I cut down some of the other ingredients (except the garlic) and had to guess on the mango cause I only had frozen cubes. Used the gas burner outside, not sure what the fumes from this would be like but best to get good habits early to avoid trouble and strife I guess.

Nice heat and just a touch of vinegar flavour balanced by the garlic, no chemically taste that the habs I used had raw - smells awesome cooking too! Thanks for the recipe!

10877983575_0e456d5956_z.jpg

(edit to add photo - don't have any bottles as yet and I'm not planning to store this so the plastic coating on the lid shouldn't be a problem.  Don't know if the okra pickles that used to be in the jar are actually from Texas or not, I got them from USA foods in Melbourne)

Holy Crap. I have seen tons of sauces, recipes, methods, etc. etc. etc. But this is the first time I have actually wanted to replicate one. I will be making this. If i can only find a friggen mango. Hey, FD!

Nice idea!
Usually i do my basic sauce (pretty raw and to be consumed within hours) with garlic, onion, black pepper, salt, sugar, hot peppers, tomato puree, evo oil.
It's very simple and fast (wich is critical... Sometimes i choose to go out just within an hour or less and only then i choose to make the sauce!  :onfire: ).
I  want to try also with lemon juice but maybe an exotic ingredient like mango should be a better idea!,

I am lovin' this sauce loooooong time.

However, I have a mild allergic reaction to mangos.

It doesn't happen all the time but when it does my lips burn and swell up a bit.

If you haven't eaten mangos previously, I seriously advise that you proceed with caution and try just a little bit.

And don't ever eat the skin.

With the 4 reapers in there that should light you up like a pinball machine on 220v.

Nice.
The old man just text me and said he put it on his hotdogs and could only take one bite lol. Might have to tone it down a bit next time but overall this recipe has a great flavor!

Back