• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My first Chipolte powder

My Biker Billys have been turning like crazy.

So I decided to try my hand at Chipolte powder!

Chipolte was the main reason I even grew these guys.

Started out by puttin them on an expanded metal rack I made to make it easier to transfer and such.
IMG_0333.jpg

These were some thick pods!!
IMG_0344.jpg

I smoked em with Oak and Mesquite
IMG_0348.jpg

For a long time!
IMG_0364.jpg

Ready to dry! :dance:
IMG_0382.jpg

All ground up!!
IMG_0405.jpg

I am very pleased with my first batch!
It tastes very true to Chipolte!
I wouldnt change a thing....well, except to make more!! :drooling:

Kevin

So, did you taste one before you dried them? They look awesome. That powder looks good too.

I hope to be doing some habaneros here soon. Hopefully they will turn out as good as yours look.

Thanks guys!! :cheers:
I thought I had gotten them way too dark, but once I ground em up the color was great!

RPM, of course I had to munch a few before I dried em! ..YUM!

Fireman, I used a mason jar to grind em, attach your blender blades ...super easy!

:cool:
Kevin

very nice color and I bet the aroma is outstanding....

way to go Kevin...

CHIPOTLE, not chipolte!!! :)
Looks good but to be critical, I would just call them smoked jalapenos. Chipotles is a buzz word today but true chipotles are smoked dry in large outdoor pits over several days and done in traditional Mexican ways with traditional woods

Thanks everyone! :)

AJ, you are correct sir...The aroma is heavenly!!

Prodigal, I also use the silica packs that AJ recommended!
But, having your pods super dry before grinding is essential

:cool:
Kevin

looks :dance: awesome. what temp were you running on your smoke? i'm still waiting for my second flush of penos to turn. i think this round is going in the smoker after seeing this thread.

CHIPOTLE, not chipolte!!! :)
Looks good but to be critical, I would just call them smoked jalapenos. Chipotles is a buzz word today but true chipotles are smoked dry in large outdoor pits over several days and done in traditional Mexican ways with traditional woods
JALAPEÑO, not Jalapeno.
I'm getting me a smoker and making some rip off chipotle!!! ;)

Back