• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting My first mash

I had to post this up because I'm so excited about it. I decided to start a hab mash to make my first hot sauce later with my own recipe instead of one given to me.

To make my mash I used
125g carrots
500g habs
45g pickling/canning salt
2/3 cup whey from greek yogurt
water to top it off
a jar of pickles
marbles
cheese cloth
paper plates
plastic wrap (I used glad press and seal)
airlock

IMAG0062.jpg

Empty your pickle jar (Save those pickles to nom on!!!) and cut a hole in the lid to hold your airlock

Chop the tops off the habs
IMAG0064.jpg

And get your food processor!
IMAG0063.jpg

Mince up your habs
IMAG0066.jpg

Then grate your carrots
Didn't get a pic of this

Get your marbles
IMAG0067.jpg

Then boil them while you also boil your pickle jar to make sure its all sterilized

I cracked 2 marbles boiling them
IMAG0069.jpg

Wrap up those marbles!
IMAG0070.jpg

While working on wrapping these add all your ingredients to the jar.
IMAG0068.jpg

Cut some discs from the paper pates and cover them in plastic wrap. I don't have a picture of this but imagine its sort of a seal to keep the mash down but can fit through the opening on the jar easily since its flexible plastic.

Now you're left with this!
IMAG0071.jpg

Let it sit for a couple months and make a nice hot sauce!!!

I definitely plan on it! There are already lots of bubbles in the jar and the airlock.
I figured I'd weigh out all the stuff and post it up since I'm making a hot sauce with it later and I know everyone here loves a good documented hot sauce! :D

I'll be adding more later. I just went with this because I spaced when I went to the store and didn't get more ingredients. I'll be trying to make a fruity hot sauce.

BTW, you don't have to boil the marbles. You could some No Rinse sanitizer like you use in homebrewing or you can use a bleach water solution and rinse well with pre boiled water. Your marbles are then safe.

Nope, not mold Hammer, as thebat said it's Kahm yeast. will not do anything bad to the sauce I have seen it several times. Just skim it off when your ready to sauce it up and go for it. You actually could even leave it in and nothing would come of it as it would be killed off when boiling.

Yeah, I'll just skim it off when it comes time to open the jar. Nice thing about having an air lock is you don't have to keep the jar cracked and its as easy as set it and forget it! :) It's amazing how much developed in the short 4 day time period though.

Nice start, thebat. I'm checking this out as someone offered up a bowl of fresh habs (in the middle of our winter here) and mash seemed like something fun to try.

I have a couple questions-
What did you use to tie the cheesecloth? looks like wire?
if you use the cheesecloth and marbles in the jar to weigh down the product, do you really need the plastic-wrapped paper plate? I'd think that liquid would leach into the plastic, no matter how tight the seal. Might be a little difficult trying to remove a soggy paper plate?

Looking good. I'll keep watching~

Nice start, thebat. I'm checking this out as someone offered up a bowl of fresh habs (in the middle of our winter here) and mash seemed like something fun to try.

I have a couple questions-
What did you use to tie the cheesecloth? looks like wire?
if you use the cheesecloth and marbles in the jar to weigh down the product, do you really need the plastic-wrapped paper plate? I'd think that liquid would leach into the plastic, no matter how tight the seal. Might be a little difficult trying to remove a soggy paper plate?

Looking good. I'll keep watching~

Yeah, I used twist ties with the coating taken off. I didn't have any cotton twine or twine you would use for wrapping up a chicken or turkey. Otherwise I would have used that.

I used the plate because of the opening of the jar was smaller than the inner diameter of the jar (use canning jars of a larger size so that the opening is the same size as the inner diameter). That made it difficult to get the marbles to spread evenly over the mash to hold it down. So I remembered that when making a seal with a tube you can use rubber washers quite effectively. I applied that to the jar, the plate was the support piece that would hold the rubber washer in place and make an equal seal around the edges. The plastic wrap was the rubber washer to make the seal. The plate could fit in the opening and the plastic wrap could flex to conform to it and than open up again and seal the edges.

I don't mind working to remove a soggy plate. I have about .5" excess plastic around my plate that is about 2.5" (opening of the jar) so that is about 3.5" of plastic wrapped plate sealing the jar and holding the mash down.

that'll drill, as we used to say in the oil field. Just don't want to get the seal so tight that the CO2 bubbles can't get out. Just enough to hold the largest portion of the mash down but I think you get that. Can't wait to see the sauce at the end of the run. Hardest part now is going to be resisting the urge to crack open the jar for a taste before the time is up.

Cheers

I appreciate this. I would like to see how you incorporated the airlock. I know, I've read, "drill a hole". I'm not that adept to make assumptions. The other thing is your "layers". I get the sterilized marbles keeping the peppers "wet". But then you mention paper plate disks and plastic wrap. That is the layer between the peppers and the weight (marbles)?

I didn't think you'd get Kahm yeast (so soon?) using an airlock. I'm getting ready to try my first mash soon. So, again, appreciate these threads and sort of apologize for asking perhaps obvious questions.

I'll have to re-read the thread about fermentation. Did you need the "yogurt juice" or is that just an accelerator?

1 I appreciate this. I would like to see how you incorporated the airlock. I know, I've read, "drill a hole". I'm not that adept to make assumptions.
2 The other thing is your "layers". I get the sterilized marbles keeping the peppers "wet". But then you mention paper plate disks and plastic wrap. That is the layer between the peppers and the weight (marbles)?

3 I didn't think you'd get Kahm yeast (so soon?) using an airlock. I'm getting ready to try my first mash soon. So, again, appreciate these threads and sort of apologize for asking perhaps obvious questions.

4 I'll have to re-read the thread about fermentation. Did you need the "yogurt juice" or is that just an accelerator?

1 I didn't have a drill bit large enough to fit my stopper that came with my air lock so I drew a ring around the stopper and used a chisel/punch to make a cut out of it. I then used sealant to seal around the stopper. I'd suggest getting a small grommet (the size of the base of the airlock tube that goes into the stopper) and drill a hole. That way you don't need to go buy an extremely large drill bit you'll only use a dozen times.

2 The "layers" are between the marbles and the peppers, making sure they stay submerged as to not grow mold.

3 I got it quickly because I used too large of a jar thus creating excess air space at the top of the mash to the mouth of the jar. That had just enough room to allow some of the kahm yeast to settle in and grow before the fermentation pushed out all the oxygen.

4 The "yogurt juice" which is whey is an accelerator. Just like a hooch from sourdough or the liquid from a kimchi. It gets the whole fermentation process kick-started in a couple hours as opposed to a couple days with a natural fermentation.

It's no problem to answer your questions. I know for whenever I start something new (even this) it's incredibly helpful to have pictures and descriptions to follow along with. That and if I document it I can see all the steps and if something goes wrong, help people and myself avoid it in the future! :D

Back