• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking My first smoked Brisket

With foil I'm not agreeing with the time, just the middle step part. I usually don't even foil!

They say at 225 3-2-1 is for fall-off-the-bone, and 5 hours is more of a competition rib. A lot of consumers like the fall-off-the-bone, or they think they do, because that term is tossed around as being the best. "mmmmmmm they were fall-off-the-bone good."

Me personally, they have to have a chew, but be able to pull away. As Mixon says, "When you bite, you want that half moon shape, but you want to pull away without any tug." If the whole rib comes off, or strips of meat lengthwise, I don't like it.

Of course that is my preference. Eat it how you like!

Ha! Cooking for kids and fam... do you ever cook it your way, and tell them they can have it their way next time? Or is there always some middle ground? Orrrrr is it always their way?! :lol:

Haha! And Jay has a house rule of no cast iron on the stove. Give him some lessons. :rofl:

Smoked a nice pork ass this weekend. Came out nice and the even had some leftovers for a change . I did purchase a Maverick thermometer and noticed why my shit was cooking so fast . Not that I am complaining but will help in the near future . 

My boy the spice master 

photo_zps1e814f3a.jpg

He takes much better pics than I 

photo_zps55fe598b.jpg

photo_zps446ae42f.jpg

photo_zpsea22a19c.jpg

photo_zps0153ec0d.jpg

Tender as the night . Cooked a 6 pounder for about 6 hours until it hit 200 inside the ass :)

Looks awesome! Have you pulled it at 190 before? That is usually where I pull it then let it sit unwrapped most of the time when I want bark them use 2 forks to shred/pull. Makes we want to unthaw a pack from the freezer! Nice work!

Wow, that looks awesome!

The "knife slice" is misleading and makes it look dry because of the solid edge. Next time just give it twist or a whack and let it fall apart for the pic! :D I can tell it's moist though. Nice herbal bark to boot!

The Hot Pepper said:
Haha! And Jay has a house rule of no cast iron on the stove. Give him some lessons. :rofl:

Happy wife happy life.  You gotta pick your battles.  Of course, when no one is home I use all my cast iron on the stove even if I don't need to.  I also run around drunk with my undies on my head.

JayT said:

Happy wife happy life.  You gotta pick your battles.  Of course, when no one is home I use all my cast iron on the stove even if I don't need to.  I also run around drunk with my undies on my head.
My wife sent me a text saying she was upset that all this food was getting cooked while she was away....I was like it is any different when you are here!

Nice lookin butt Jamie!
Next time throw a couple on there and I'll head your way with some beers.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
My wife sent me a text saying she was upset that all this food was getting cooked while she was away....I was like it is any different when you are here!
Great story! My wife says the same thing, but different.

When doing brisket I start by applying Dijon mustard my beef rub some Greek spice smoke with cherry and hickory or pecan mix at around 235/240 to and internal temp of 175 remove from smoker place in 4 layers of butcher's paper or foil with foil method I add a little Apple juice and beef broth wrapped tight and into oven at 235 to an internal temp of 196 place in cooler wrapped in towels to rest for 3 hrs if using butcher's paper finish to internal temp of 200 allow it to rest in cooler for 2 hours rest period is very important otherwise you'll have a dry brisket. Slice and destroy!! :)

But do not use regular butcher paper for heating up, it has a chemical coating/bonding agents etc. that will end up in your meat. Use PINK.

Pitmasters have adopted this for brisket. They started using it to dress baskets and trays but took it a step further since you can cook with it. Only buy PINK or from a BBQ source, and make sure it says uncoated and can be heated (or smoked with). Usually pink is the signifier.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NC5S6OM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00NC5S6OM&linkCode=as2&tag=thehotpepper-20&linkId=NAJQOPOKZ2R45A4E

Back