• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

My go-to sauce: "Where There's Smoke, There's Fire!"

Looking for some input from the pros here on any improvements or suggestions.

I am also very curious about the possible shelf-life on hot sauces.

"Where There's Smoke, There's Fire!"

15 Habaneros, seeded and diced
15.5 ounce can of sliced peaches in light syrup
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 cup white vinegar
Liquid Smoke
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp paprika
1 Tbsp black pepper, ground
1 Tbsp cumin, ground
1/2 tsp coriander, ground
1/2 tsp allspice, ground
1/2 tsp ginger, ground

Mix everything in a blender or food processor. Liquify! Add a few dashes of Liquid Smoke to taste. Bottle and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before using.

This is good on everything. Not too much heat, but plenty enough for all but the true Iron Tongue. I also like this because it is very easy to make changes.
Want it sweeter? Use peaches in heavy syrup. Less sweet? Drain peaches off of the syrup.
More smoke or less smoke is super easy with the Liquid Smoke. If you want a more subtle smoke, you could use smoked salt and paprika instead of the liquid.

Also... takes about 15 minutes to make!

Ditch the liquid smoke. If I bought a hot sauce called "Where There's Smoke, There's Fire" and the smokiness was liquid smoke, I'd feel cheated. Sounds like a chipotle sauce. Smoke the peppers.

cooking and bottling hot kills nasties and pH keeps new from growing(vinegar helps lower pH) I would say get a pH tester to make sure you are under 4 and cook/low boil for 30 minutes(some say 20 is fine). If just for yourself and friends pH test strips are cheaper but I recommend http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/item/850051/pH/-pH-Pen%3A-Large-Display-with-ATC. Lime or lemon juice also lowers pH and can add sweetness.

cooking and bottling hot kills nasties and pH keeps new from growing(vinegar helps lower pH) I would say get a pH tester to make sure you are under 4 and cook/low boil for 30 minutes(some say 20 is fine). If just for yourself and friends pH test strips are cheaper but I recommend http://www.sperdirect.com/cgi-bin/item/850051/pH/-pH-Pen%3A-Large-Display-with-ATC. Lime or lemon juice also lowers pH and can add sweetness.
I think i am going to order this ph meter. I got one from another place and sent it back. Which buffers did you get to use to calibrate, all 3? And did you get a solution for the tip of your meter or just use one of the buffers? how often do you calibrate? And how long have you had this one? Sorry for all the questions :lol:

I think i am going to order this ph meter. I got one from another place and sent it back. Which buffers did you get to use to calibrate, all 3? And did you get a solution for the tip of your meter or just use one of the buffers? how often do you calibrate? And how long have you had this one? Sorry for all the questions :lol:
I calibrate with 4 and 7 and I use a drop or two of 7 on the sponge in the cap for storage.

Ditch the liquid smoke. If I bought a hot sauce called "Where There's Smoke, There's Fire" and the smokiness was liquid smoke, I'd feel cheated. Sounds like a chipotle sauce. Smoke the peppers.

If you don't have the means to actually roast/smoke the peppers, you could always buy some Chipotle peppers in adobo and just use some of the sauce in the can. Stuff has some great flavor that is derived from the smoked peppers.... not just smoke in a bottle.

my .02 cents

I do have a stove-top smoker, guess i'll give it a try.

There a wood preference for flavoring a habanero? And how much should I smoke them?
Obviously use a hardwood- oak,mesquite,pecan,apple,peach wood, I find hickory too strong.A little goes along way.Indirect heat- I roast over coals, till almost leathery, then dose with wet wood chips(I use a small black iron skillet on thr coals)2x ...then can , or toss in the blender...or dehydrate completely for flakes.
I realize this is not a specific answer for the stove top smoker, but it should give you an idea of the process. I have had good luck using dehydrated pods also, but I think the roasting/smoking gives a better flavor.A concern with a stove top smoker would be the degree of smoke containment-ie over smoking!My process if the peppers are fresh(I rupture the pods or half them first I forgot to mention)takes about a 6-pack
start to finish, dried pods that you only smoke about an hour.Just don't burn the peppers(you can get away with some slight char spots, otherwise you will get a burned taste in the sauce).....Goodluck, and remember trial and error is part of the process/fun!

Fruit woods work well Habaneros, I've lightly smoked them and also blackened them for some intense flavor, also I'll make a smoked "Bonnet" sauce using Pimento wood in an outdoor smoker with my Scotch Bonnets.....a very unique taste!

Back