• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My new flying DEATH ARMY is on its way.

LGHT said:
Keep us posted on the outcome and if they are worth the cost or not. I found a place here in the states that sell them and i'm considering on getting some also. I don't have a huge problem, but don't want to wait until I do.

No prob ! Will get some more photo too !

newhotstuff said:
Basil wards off spider mites an aphids too.

That's interesting... I get aphids on my Thai Basil, and mites on the Holy Basil. Do you know if there is another type that works better as a repellent?

Well that sounds as if we are alittle confussed?. WHICH BASIL Newhotstuff ????? :)

Marigolds here are meant to work for alot of bugs?
Anyone know of better repellent plants ?

chilliman said:
Well that sounds as if we are alittle confussed?. WHICH BASIL Newhotstuff ????? :)

Marigolds here are meant to work for alot of bugs?
Anyone know of better repellent plants ?

NAPALM AT THIS POINT!!! Basil and nasturtium grow like crazy in our yard. It's not helping. Tried the Lady Bugs. Apparently all their houses were on fire, so they all flew away!

Any update on how they did?

I got 2000 green lacewing eggs for a small outbreak I have been unable to get rid of. I think it was when I brought one plant in to my indoor closet is when it started. Although it's not a lot I've gone through heavily spraying every plant (about 70) and a few days later they are back. I figured it was just easier to buy a package of lacewings instead of spending another hour spraying each plant. I released them today so we shall see how they do! I also released a good amount on some of my outside plants that aren't bad, but I don't want to wait until they get out of control either.

The release was only a few larva running around with armour on ;)... No wings yet.... and my mites seem to be getting worse, I hope these guys do there job......

chilliman said:
The release was only a few larva running around with armour on ;)... No wings yet.... and my mites seem to be getting worse, I hope these guys do there job......

Great keep me posted. I don't have a lot of bugs now, but I know I will if they don't do anything. I got 2,000 because I figured half would either day or not hatch etc so wanted to have more than enough. Plus it was only $8.00 more for the extra 1,000. They arrived in rice hulls and I put them in half cut small Dixie cups and placed a little in each cup and left the cup by the root of the plant. The place I got them from said they will hatch and start crawling toward the plants looking for food and will crawl 24/7 from plant to plant as long as the leaves are touching. I hope they do something soon keep me posted on their outcome.

So do I its kinda important..... I need them out asap ! Other wise I will have to rip everything out and clean with blech.:(

ABurningMouth said:
Yes! That's the coolest ever.
I sprinkled some diatomaceous earth powder on some of the affected plants, then sprayed them with some water with the powder in it. Right now my plants look pretty weird, but I think it slowed them down.
pichur103.jpg

I'll see if it's worth the trouble or if it's just a pain and mess soon.

Use a duster, point it toward the ground so as to send a dust fog under the leaves of the plants, since that is where the aphids live. Oh, and be sure to wear a dust mask.

Your plants look like the have some wierd form of spotted fever. :D

I hope you're having a victory parade soon chilliman and presenting medals to your war heroes. :)

let me know how you go chilliman,
I suffer bad with spider mites ( we live in the same area) I have tried neem oil which works on my pepino and egg plants but tends to curl the leaves on my chilli's, I have sprayed with white oil and condifor and also used malathon which I dont like using. not much seems to help, I am very interested in how the bugs go

Still cant see any of the little buggers.... I will order some more and also some lady bugs I think... I did see the little lava running around ONCE and returned with camera ....no where to be seen. I have been checking the tables and tank alot for sign of any dead ones..... But nothing !
So I guess give it some time for them to grow and lay more eggs etc and I may see some action...

The spider mite dont seem to be getting worse... but still there :(

Well I would pass on ordering more eggs. I ordered 2000 and in over a week haven't seen one egg yet. The problem is your not suppose to spray the plant with neem oil as it will also kill the eggs so the aphids have doubled in that time although I have been scrapping them off the leaves and smashing them by hand. I ordered the eggs to make life easier and it has basically forced me to do twice the amount of work!! I had them almost all gone, but stopped spraying because I didn't see any of them. Big mistake. I think i'm gonna just pass on the "bug army" and bite the bullet and spray daily for a week. That seems to have got them last time. That and a few yellow fly stickers.

hmmmm - I will try the lady bugs first.... As I have alot going on in there it would be hard to see them anyhow...
Speaking to the bug guy again, he said that it will take time to BALANCE the eco system and patients... Because I have only just started the numbers will build to deal with the problem....

HMMMM - mine took 7 days to hatch and I still didnt see many until 10days or so.... and they look NOTHING like a fly when young.... sorta like a BEETLE JUICE characters... :) And run around on the underside of leaf eatting the eggs... They are differently keeping things from getting worse, I am waiting to they develop in numbers enough to destroy them.....

As Bug gu said this is not a CURE but a preventive, But the colony will grow with the availability of food - ie: spidermite. Up to 3-4mths..
As this is long term, I think I will keep on cracking !

I will Spray a 1/4 solution of NEEM as well... supposedly that it will help.. and wont kill the lacewing ?!

So I will press on.... but alittle disheartened at this point !

But I would rather NATURAL than sprays...:)

Back