• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My New System; on Loan From Rachapat University, Chombung, Ratchaburi.

Thanks to the generosity of Ajarn Pathara, I just received the system today. It's all ready to go except for a few minor glitches; to wit, my water is PH 7.68 and I don't have any hydrochloric acid. The other minor hassle is my sprouts are in coir plugs and they get way too wet in the constant flow system. So, my sprouts need a more developed root system (they're only 3 days sprouted). Ajarn Pathara will bring the acid and meter on Monday or Tuesday and we'll adjust the PH.
Any and all advice is welcome as I'm a genuine baby newbie at this technology. Here's a picture;

HydroponicSystem.jpg

:cool:

wow you weren't kidding when you said it was cheap option! and looks like a bloody good one too. Good luck with it mate, hope the plants thrive for you

Grimus & kiddc; thanks for the positive comments. We were very lucky to have found out about the local hydro growers. It was by chance my wife spotted a sign about hydro and she followed up on it and one thing led to another. And here I am.

I'm not sure this is the best set-up for Habaneros, but I'm going to give it a go and take it one step at a time. An enclosure is in the works (Ajarn Pathara) and should be here Monday or Tuesday. This will be an outdoor set-up with a plastic roof and very fine net sides (keep insects out) and a plastic sheeting floor. The net will allow for a free flow of air. The plants will be supported by a suspended cord. I will inter-crop as much as I can. Cheers.

That's pretty freakin cool Arjun! Congrats. Can't wait to see the final setup. Good luck on your growing season and the new system. I think it may belong in the Grow Tech section.

It's a great idea, but it has a tiny reservoir for so many plants. I would also shade the reservoir because the temperatures will be sky high in the Thailand sun. I use plain white vinegar to adjust the PH. Coir works perfectly in any hydro application. Can you post a pic of how the water gets from the res to the top run of PVC?

That is just cool. Looking forward to seeing it all loaded up with plants. Best of luck to you AjarnV.

ZanderSpice said:
I think you what phosphoric, nitric or even sulfuric acid before hydrochloric.

I don't know; the professor is the one who said hydrochloric acid. Apparently there is more than one that will work.

treemanjohn said:
It's a great idea, but it has a tiny reservoir for so many plants. I would also shade the reservoir because the temperatures will be sky high in the Thailand sun. I use plain white vinegar to adjust the PH. Coir works perfectly in any hydro application. Can you post a pic of how the water gets from the res to the top run of PVC?

Yes definitely will shade the reservoir. As to size; I have to trust that the Uni knows about these things; The reservoir holds 30 liters and 10 liters are going through the pipes when it's running. So there are 20 in the tank at any given time (that's a little over 5 gals.). We did a test run and it worked perfectly. I'll post a picture of the "cups" that go in the holes. The bottoms are about a 1/16" off the bottom of the pipe.
Yes, I'll post a pic of the delivery pipe.
Question; we put in a cup with a seedling and coir; the coir gets very wet because it wicks up the water. I worried it would drowned the seedling. I have read coir is perfect but what about the saturation with water/solution?

ABurningMouth said:
Did you do ok with this system?

About 2 weeks from getting it going. It'll be outside so I need a structure over it to keep out rain water. That will be finished next week. :)

Back