• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

My West Oz grow

I like the idea. What is the practical purpose of this though unless you are selling plants or want to overwinter lots of the same plant.

Dale

thepodpiper said:
I like the idea. What is the practical purpose of this though unless you are selling plants or want to overwinter lots of the same plant.

Dale

:stop:
:think:
:doh:
:shh:

I cant think of any practical purpose watsoever, apart from being bored and wanting to ty something new. If I do it, it would be on something which probably wouldnt make the winter anyway, at least try and get something from it.

I notice the pic with extra pots for roots has no peppers on it

I used them for my baby's bedtime milk bottle. Im starting her young...

Novacastrian said:
"I saw something a while ago on 'air rooting' where a lady would attatch cups of soil (or some media) to the main stem of a plant, it looked to be 3 or 4 pots over 3 feet of stem. Come spring time, she chopped them off just below the cup, and planted the new additions. Anyone done this?"

It's called layering, or more specifically, air layering; and yes, I have done this. I usually use this technique for plants that can be difficult to root, or if they have a low hanging branch that I can just pin to the ground.

Peppers root so easily, and grow from seed so easily that it never really occurred to me to try it with them.

I've never had pepper cuttings root very easily for me. I've have lots of success but it always seems to be a challenge.

POTAWIE said:
I've never had peppers root very easily for me. I have success but it always seems to be a challenge

Really? I've taken broken branches inside and stuck them in a glass of water mostly to get the peppers to ripen a bit, and the silly things root on me.

Well, have had a few things happen recently, looks like all those seeds I planted are starting to come up, which makes me think something along the lines of 'crap', as there is nowhere for them to go right now. I did just promise a friend with a new house I would give him some, so might not be too bad. He didnt want super hot chillies, but at this stage he is geting Thai hot, Goatsweed, Goats Horn, and Big Jim. Goatsweed is only mild, right? :P

Noticed something interesting with growing conditions today-when I planted seeds on the 12th for the fatalii comp, I planted a whole heap of others to fill up the seed tray, Goats horn being one of them. I also put some goatshorn into a jiffy pellet. The seedling tray went to the stairs, where temps go from 22-29 C over a week, and up and down a bit every day. The jiffy pellet went into a mini greenhouse, inside the hot water cupboard, temps of 28-30 C, day and night. For some reason, both sets of seeds germinated at the same time, which I didnt think would happen, or could happen for that matter. Am now curious to see what happens with the other seeds that have been split up as to when they germinate.

Bought some rockwool the other day, and have started trying to germinate in that, just to see how it compares to jiffy pellets. Have also dunked one into a weak fertiliser mix to wet it, will see if that helps or hurts the early seedling.
Made a hell of a sauce last night, I needed some for burritos, and I wanted a little heat, so in went 6 birdseyes, 2 red cherry, and 3 mature but green scotch bonnets. Frist time I have cooked with the scotch bonnets, awesome heat coming from them, and th delay in the onset is nice as well. Used them as much for the heat as to make the plant kick out another round of fruit before it gets too late.
Knocked all the fruit off the red savina a few days ago, decided that it would stay too small if it fruited now. Hopefully it grows another 5-10 cm, and gets bushier, as I think I could get a lot off of it.

icked up on something funny the other day-over christmas, one of my orange habs got knocked over for a week, as the guy who was watering the plants didnt think to pick it up. As a result, the plant threw out a whole heap of side shoots i nthe new upright direction. Not, it looks like this:

Chilli017-1.jpg

It used to be symmetrical, no prizes for guessing which way it thought was up. It got me thinking about the effect doing this has on plants, when I stumbled upon this piece from World of chillies:
Your chilli plants will produce flowers and then chillies on each of its sidestems so the more sidestems you have, the more fruit your plant will produce. If you want to increase the number of chillies your plant produces, you need to increase the number of sidestems.

You can do this by tipping your plant onto its side once it is a substantial size. The chilli plant will try to grow upright by throwing out a number of sidestems.

Once it has done this, turn the pot around so that the new sidestems are facing down and it will throw out another series of sidestems, reaching for the light.

Give the pot a quarter turn and once another set of sidestems have been started, turn another half turn. You can then return your plant to an upright position and wait for a bumper harvest of chillies.

Am now thinking I might try this next season, as it definitely worked on my plants. Anyone else done this? I guess its like topping your plants, without removing anything.

Have just come back from a morning happily spent looking at things I cant afford, and dont want to buy. Thats right, hydroponics! I have been thinking about going to a hydro grow for a while, and thought I would take the chance to have a chat to the hydro shop people while I was out this morning. Long story short: a hell of a lot more money than I want to spend to make it worthwhile, so Im staying away. I asked about cutting corners, and the guy said while he is happy to see people get into it anyway they can, he hates to see people do things doomed to failure, and said I was better off doing it properly, or not at all.

One good thing I did learn though was that I could buy a 20 watt 6500K cfl light for throwing light at my seedlings until the whole tray germinates, and they are ready to go outside. I dont want to have an indoor grow set up, and I dont need one anyway with the weather here. In the end, I paid $7 for the bulb, $4 for the holder, and $2 for the plug. Im going to massacre an extension cord to complete the setup soon, as soon as I can work out how to get having a light in the closet past my wife.

Just blindfold her! God i can see the thumbprint on your forehead from here!!! j/k

Your right about the price of Hydro at stores, its insanely high but that only because they sell to weed growers. You can get a lot of good stuff cheap if you either make it yourself or buy online.
My main concern with Hydro is the price of electricity, unless of course you include a money tree..

Novacastrian said:
Just blindfold her! God i can see the thumbprint on your forehead from here!!! j/k

Your right about the price of Hydro at stores, its insanely high but that only because they sell to weed growers. You can get a lot of good stuff cheap if you either make it yourself or buy online.
My main concern with Hydro is the price of electricity, unless of course you include a money tree..

I asked about making my own stuff, and the guy said it would work with a smaller plant, but apparently the root system of a chile is too big for the channel what I can get easily. To be fair, he had a vested interest in making sure I bought from him, but he seemed pretty genuine. The electricity cost doesnt bother me too much at the mo, as it would be using approximately two-thirds of bugger all to run the light for those few weeks.

Yeah he probably was genuine about the stuff that he knew about. The problem is that he may have never made anything for himself.
May i ask what your manufacturing skills are like? All you need is a light a pump and a timer, the rest you can make yourself. :)

Pretty handy when I get around to it, I grew up on a farm for my first 20 years. Only problem is lack of time and resources right now, and a lack of capital.

McGoo said:
Pretty handy when I get around to it, I grew up on a farm for my first 20 years. Only problem is lack of time and resources right now, and a lack of capital.

Yeah lack of capital always seems to suck, but then again it always seems to get the creative juices flowing:)

What you would normally not think twice about paying for from a store can sometimes be built for less than 25% of the price, tanks for example can be made from old plywood or plastic tubs.

Time may be a factor too but if you don't try you will never know!

*Rant over*

P.S. I like beer..

McGoo,

How would a complete hydro system (sans lights) for about $15 fit in your budget?

We have cats so Linda bought the litter in those buckets rather than bags, but most people have a 5-gallon bucket laying around (or knows someone who does). You need an air pump ($9), air stone ($2), net pot (50¢), tubing ($1) and hydrotron, perlite or something similar - perhaps even gravel that you wash off.

I added two units in my office window for about $22 total (Used one air pump for both of them).

From what I've seen, hydro stores can be a real rip off on some items. The net pots and airstones were as low as I could find anyplace on line, but he wanted $32 for one pump, I bought two of the exact same model for $30 and that included shipping.

Mike

wordwiz said:
McGoo,

How would a complete hydro system (sans lights) for about $15 fit in your budget?

We have cats so Linda bought the litter in those buckets rather than bags, but most people have a 5-gallon bucket laying around (or knows someone who does). You need an air pump ($9), air stone ($2), net pot (50¢), tubing ($1) and hydrotron, perlite or something similar - perhaps even gravel that you wash off.

I added two units in my office window for about $22 total (Used one air pump for both of them).

From what I've seen, hydro stores can be a real rip off on some items. The net pots and airstones were as low as I could find anyplace on line, but he wanted $32 for one pump, I bought two of the exact same model for $30 and that included shipping.

Mike

Hmmm, interesting. I might have to look on ebay for some bits now. I havent given up o na hydro grow yet, maybe just delayed for a while. What type of hydro is yours?

Deep Water Culture. The easiest to learn and practice and also the safest. Our power went out for six days this summer thanks a a very wide-spread event. The plants in the DWC didn't suffer at all, the ones in an aeration unit were hardly worth adding to the compost pile.

Mike

Back