• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Naga Bhut Jolokia Morich

OK so for years the typical mainstream hot pepper fan has always considered either the Hab or the Scotch Bonnet as the king of heat. Evey once in a while somebody would tell me to check out something new like a Tepin or something, but not once has anybody mentioned or even heard of the Jolokia family. I only discovered them after finding this forum. Then I did some intense research but I still don't get how these peppers are a more recent emergence. How were they kept a secret all this time? Did they grow in some unpopulated area of India and were not discovered until recently? Or were they concocted in some laboratory. Most of the Scoville lists I've seen have the Red Savina as hottest so even they're not up to date. I checked Wikepedia but even there I don't see the origin.

It wasn't tested. that simple.
The Bhut Jolokia is the current record holder, and the Red Savina never should have been. 577,000SHU? BS, someone made a serious mistake while testing it.

Im with Omri, they knew it was hot and didn't worry bout it.

they have been growing bhuts/bih's/morich's for yonks, and nobody really cared untill the hype it got after the US grew and took to guinness.

and the Savina is yes Overated

Hmmm. That's interesting. So it was ignored until the US got their hands on it. I wonder if there is any other pepper currently undiscovered by the US that's even hotter than Naga/Jolokia.

Diabolus said:
Hmmm. That's interesting. So it was ignored until the US got their hands on it. I wonder if there is any other pepper currently undiscovered by the US that's even hotter than Naga/Jolokia.
According to many people, the Trinidad Scorpion.

Diabolus said:

A lot of interesting pods coming out of Trinidad lately. I can't help but wonder whats on all those other islands there.

Want to create the meanest chile ever? take 5 of the hottest chiles (many of each) and plant them side by side at the hottest place on earth, supply enough water to survive and leave.
*ten years later*
Ta-da! the hottest and scariest chile to ever exist!

Omri said:
Want to create the meanest chile ever? take 5 of the hottest chiles (many of each) and plant them side by side at the hottest place on earth, supply enough water to survive and leave.
*ten years later*
Ta-da! the hottest and scariest chile to ever exist!

I don't know about the hottest place...i think it needs regular rainfall & high humidity. Rains every night & evaporates by midday.

bentalphanerd said:
I don't know about the hottest place...i think it needs regular rainfall & high humidity. Rains every night & evaporates by midday.
Not enough water is the cause for the heat. just the right amount of generations without any water and you get a chile named "Rectal Burn".
Tough environment is everything. :)

Well trinidads anual rainfall would be a good head start.... superhots to look at from that region Scorpion, 7 pot, douglah, then there is the chance of multiple phenos etc etc not to mention home of the chocalate hab. heat and Humidity is the key, certainly for the chinensis varieties.

yep they seem to have the perfect weather conditions for chillis as does the rest of the carib,going to cuba in september and cant wait to go looking for unusual varietys as its been stated they have lots of crossbred vegtables..so could be fun:)

Don't mind me, I'm trying to get in proper naming habits lately. I used to call any C. chinense a hab but have learned a lot since.
Omri said:
Most are from the Caribbean area. now start debating on which chile is a hab and which is a bonnet. :lol:

What is the chocolate scotch bonnet? real bonnet or not?;)

Congo peppers are a league of there own. All some of my favourites especially trinidad congo, large and unbelievably "fruity".

Back