• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Naga Jolokia? (photo)

AlabamaJack

Extreme Member
While I was in Key West, I took Sickmonts advice and visited Peppers for Key West...great little shop with a good selection of sauces...thanks Sickmont...

Tasted a bunch of sauces too...the owner (Tom I think his name was) had a jar of fresh peppers someone had given him and told me they were Naga Jolokias...

I was wondering if these were the real deal chinense Naga Jolokias and he gave me one...here is a photo...

060408a007.jpg

umhuh....I just tasted a piece of the placenta about the size of a seed and let me tell you...this baby is HOT HOT HOT...didn't get to taste the pepper itself because it was buried in mashed potatoes and gravy but when I crushed it...man, the fire shot all over my mouth....

wondering now if the seeds are mature enough to save...

looks like a jolokia/morich. Seeds would be fine from those. A pic of the stem from the top would help. Easy to tell if you just take a bite. :)

The seeds are normally mature in the pod by the time it turns red. I'd definitely save what seeds I could from it.

Alan

rainbowberry said:
I'm growing Scotch Bonnets myself but still buy them, it's nice to compare your pods with others.
It's just a one jar and he gave just a single pod. I was referring to the seeds.

The seeds are good once pepper ripe true color always are good to compare different variety or same variety from different sources to see for favor & heat of each so next time you would know witch one you grow again next year.

AFAIK, the Naga Jolokia can be the same type of pepper as the Bhut, Bih, etc. It picked up a bad name because of people selling other seeds as the Naga Jolokia.

Mike

Sorry Omri

Omri said:
You're growing Nagas yourself, what do you need those for?

I didn't mean to overlook your question...I definitely am growing Nagas...bunches of them...but from what I have read there is a lot of speculation that the Naga Morich, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Jalokia (true chinense naga), and even the Dorset Naga are the same basic pepper just raised in different parts of the world and climate...I have all but the Naga Jalokia growing right now and will grow all of them next year to see for myself the difference in pod shape, taste, heat, etc...

AlabamaJack said:
I didn't mean to overlook your question...I definitely am growing Nagas...bunches of them...but from what I have read there is a lot of speculation that the Naga Morich, Bih Jolokia, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Jalokia (true chinense naga), and even the Dorset Naga are the same basic pepper just raised in different parts of the world and climate...I have all but the Naga Jalokia growing right now and will grow all of them next year to see for myself the difference in pod shape, taste, heat, etc...

Hey AJ, you have almost answered my question before I even asked...LOL

I wanted to know what the difference between all of the Jolokias. I have just received my Bhut Jolokia seeds from NMSU and was just curious if all of the other ones are just different names for the same pepper and if not, can a person really tell the difference between the other Jolokias by taste.

As you may have guessed, I have never had a Jolokia before and am excited to grow these next year. :lol:

I surely am not an authority but was just repeating what I have read...all I know is they are danged hot...nuclear..

heres Harald Zoschke article on the nagas if you havent read it is very intresting...:)

myself growing dorset naga,morich and a variant african naga which lookd virtually identical to bhutt..having seen and tasted all the nagas the morich seems a little smaller with more heat..but thats just me..as potawie said give higher yields in my cousins case he saw significant extra year 2 and even more this year on the dorset & bhut.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/jolokia_compared.asp

That is a great article and definitely shows the differences..I wonder why they do not address the Dorset Naga and Naga Jalokia...

The Dorset is a selectively bred Naga morich which means it has the same genes although it has a slightly different shape. The Naga Jolokia is not a seperate type of pepper, it either refers to the Naga morich(or Bhut Jolokia) or most often the crappy pc-1(tezpur) type.

so the true chinense naga jalokia is really a naga morich or bhut jalokia?

Back