• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense naga jolokia questions

Thats about the only one she'll eat of "Daddy's peppers" and she asks first because it hurts when you assume in this case

Ive ripped my PC-1's out and binned them to make room for something decent.

2 plants i have are different and ive kept them. they are thinner fleshed but have a good heat. The others are thicker fleshed, no heat bitter to taste.

out they go.... peppers and all!

cheers

wordwiz said:
A rose by any other name is still a rose, but calling a dandelion a rose doesn't make it one.

Both Wikipedia and Frontal Agritech identify the Bhut, Bih, Naga Jolokia and Naga Morich as the same chili depending upon the region it is grown in. If you check the Dorset Naga site they say that they got their source chilis from a UK Banglasdehi food store:

http://www.dorsetnaga.com/ (Click "Developing the Dorset Naga".)

Leena of Frontal Agritech says in that Fiery Foods aritcle:

"We fully agree that these are of the same species and type which might have migrated to other nearby states and countries including Bangladesh and Srilanka where this chilli continued to be known as Naga Mircha ("Naga Moresh''). The original seeds of Dorset Naga were sourced from Bangladeshi community of Britain who might have taken the fruits of this chilli from Bangladesh for culinary purposes." Makes sense huh?

What Leena told me about the world record holder in an email: "I have seen some photographs of the fruits that Dr. Bosland has claimed to be bhut jolokia. Those do not really represent the actual shape of bhut jolokia. We also occassionally harvest fruits of that shape. But when we select fruits for seed extraction, we always reject them as off-type. Our farmers are also following the same practice.
In our growing condition, we usually harvest about 100-150 fruits in a season from one plant. That too using cowdung manure without any fertilizer."

It will be interesting to see for myself. I have 5 seedlings each growing. I suppose I will have some fire from somewhere huh...

i have been wanting to ask phillipperv if that video with the peppers is real?

because in my oppinion the first pepper looked kinda weird for a naga... ?

cap lover said:
i have been wanting to ask phillipperv if that video with the peppers is real?

because in my oppinion the first pepper looked kinda weird for a naga... ?

Refresh my memory. What video is that?

rainbowberry said:
Well if Darlochileman's reading this he might want to amend the species on his site.

Hi Guys,

Its been a while since Ive been on this site (been too busy with the day job :( and have read this thread with interest.

I totally agree with the comments on Naga Jolokia/Tezphur PC-1, in my experience these seeds are overhyped and under deliver. I have grown both the Frutescens and Annuum versions and they are no hotter than a standard cayenne pepper. If you want to grow some firebombs, stick to NAga Morich/Bhut Jolokia/Bih Jolokia.

Are the Naga Morich / Bhut Jolokia / Bih Jolokia the same pepper?
Well that is a debate!! Again in my experience they are slightly different but Im convinced (after speaking to Leena and others that they are very very closely related.

Im hoping to add another 300 or so pepper pictures to the chileman database in te next few days to make it even more comprehensive.

I hope you still find the site useful and its worth all the effort.

PS Another batch of Naga snakebite PR is now availble.

darlochileman said:
Im hoping to add another 300 or so pepper pictures to the chileman database in te next few days to make it even more comprehensive.

I hope you still find the site useful and its worth all the effort.

PS Another batch of Naga snakebite PR is now availble.

I have my growlist on your site Mark as others here do...I love it and it helped me on my selection of plants to grow this year.

If we have pictures of Plants/Flowers/Fruit that you do not have on your site, would you be interested in receiving a few of what you don't have after this years harvest?...

Before the chileman site was up, every second question on these forums was "can you identify this pepper." Nowadays I can relax my ID skills. The database is such a great tool for us chileheads, keep up the great work Mark.

Back