• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Naga Poll

If you could only grow one which would it be and why?

• Naga Morich

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Dorset Naga

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Bhut Jolokia

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Bih Jolokia

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
I`m not qualified to answer but am growing 2 Dorsets and 4 Bhut`s and boy the Bhuts are growing like mad.Close to 3 ft tall now and starting pods.I`m trying to get pics up now.I guess to me when it hurts like hell what`s the name matter. lol Rich

for all those growing the Bhutt & Bih its the same pepper....

Bhut Jolokia & Bih Jolokia

Species: Chinense
Origin: India
Heat: Nuclear

This landrace chile originates from the northeast of India, particularly Assam, Nagaland and Manipur. It belongs to the Capsicum chinense family and is known by many names in the different Indian provinces. The most common names include Bhut jolokia, Bih jolokia, Nagahari, Raja Mircha, Raja chilli or Borbih jolokia. For example Bih jolokia translates to 'poison chilli' in Assamese. Bhut Jolokia translates to 'Ghost chilli' probably due to its ghostly bite. Raja Mircha means 'King of Chillies'. Reports from Assam growers indicate the typical height of Bih Jolokia to be in the range of 45 to 120 cm. Like other varieties of the Chinense species, the leaf surface has the characteristic crinkle look and the flowers are pendant, with creamy white corollas, often with a touch of light green. Fruits are 5 to 8.5 cm in length, 2.5 to 3 cm in diameter (at shoulder), with an undulating surface. However it doesn't matter what it's called, under the right growing conditions these chiles are blisteringly hot with recent tests indicating a heat level of 1,041,427 SHU! Only its closely related Bangladeshi cousin - the fearsome Naga Morich, can lay claim to such outrageous heat levels.

NAGA MORICH (DORSET NAGA?)

Species: Chinense Origin: Bangladesh Heat: Nuclear
Add to my growing list

Naga Morich meaning 'snake or serpent Chile’ is an apt name for this ferociously hot variety. It is believed to be very closely related to its Indian cousin, the Bhut jolokia (Bih jolokia) and extreme care should be taken when handling these firebombs!!!. The Naga Morich it is the variety from which the Dorset Naga originated. Described by some as like drinking cobra venom, IT IS THE MAIN INGREDIENT IN OUR RANGE OF FEARSOME MAGA SNAKEBITE CHILLI SAUCES and is certainly the hottest variety thechileman has ever come across. In recent tests, one Dorset Naga pod registered a mind blowing 1,598,227 SHU, thats 4 times hotter than the current world record holder - the Red Savina Habanero!!!! The thin walled wrinkled pods have a high degree of variability in shape although they are generally wedge shaped with three locules and average about 2 inches long by 1 inch wide. They ripen from a rich green through to yellow/orange and finally to a rich red approximately 120 days after transplanting. The extremely long, curved and annular constriction of the Calyx at junction with the peduncle is also a notable feature of this variety. Plants are large and bushy, with ours growing almost 3ft tall. Leaves are ovate in shape and pale green in colour. Plants also display multiple flowers per node and corollas possess the characteristic greenish tinge of other varieties in the chinense species. It is used sparingly (and with great care!) in Bengali cookery and is thought to originate from Northern Bangladesh.

This is my favorite Naga type...new this year to me. Nice sized pods too.

Chris

P1060641.jpg

cmpman1974 said:
This is my favorite Naga type...new this year to me. Nice sized pods too.

Chris

P1060641.jpg

Chris you are on fire my friend you have so many great super hot variety, this one is bumpy like that picture from Pepper Ridge Farm just I can't say enough just awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:hell::lol:

I wouldn't know which ones to pick. I've got a new bhut starting from seed. (Accidentally killed it a while ago.) I also have a Naga Morich which is actually doing quite well and starting to load up on buds. Honestly I'm excited about ALL of my peppers!:D My Purira and Cayenne are starting to get some actual fruit now too!

Back