• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Need a little advice on a sauce I made today.

I made a Reaper sauce today and the flavor kind of sucks honestly. I tried the reaper for the first time today to see what it tasted like and what would compliment it's flavor. I like to make bare bones sauces only adding acids/salt/sugar so I can enjoy the base flavor of the pepper. Anyways I decided since the reaper is one of the sweeter super hots I would use lemon juice instead of vinegar and add nothing else. The result is a very hot(expected) and VERY bitter(unexpected) sauce... I am now regretting not adding some sugar. 

Is there anything I should add to enhance the flavor profile of this sauce? As of right now it is just HOT and Bitter not much floral notes or chinense flavor coming through. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

hot stuff said:
I really prefer lime juice if using a citrus to lower the ph. But I usually use it mostly because I like lime.
Ya I was going to use lime juice but lime has a bitter hint to it barely, so I figured if reapers already have bitter notes I probably shouldn't use lime. But here is me with a crappy bitter sauce anyways.

DrUnK said:
Ya I was going to use lime juice but lime has a bitter hint to it barely, so I figured if reapers already have bitter notes I probably shouldn't use lime. But here is me with a crappy bitter sauce anyways.
You should try fresh squeezed orange in that reaper sauce instead of lime. Also honey makes a great sweetener in a sauce.

SavinaRed said:
You should try fresh squeezed orange in that reaper sauce instead of lime. Also honey makes a great sweetener in a sauce.
Oo wow that does sound good.. I really need to get a pH meter though cuz it seems the flavor of my sauces really depend on it as well.

DrUnK said:
Oo wow that does sound good.. I really need to get a pH meter though cuz it seems the flavor of my sauces really depend on it as well.
And I use apple cider vinegar as I really like the flavor. Some people do not like carrots in sauces but I really like it so I buy organic carrot juice at Costco. A 3 pac costs $.6.99 and can make allot of bottles of sauce. Carrots add sweetness to a sauce as well.

Back