• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Need guidance on fert for bloom stage

Greetings...I'm seeking a fert (preferably liquid soluable to mix in a water pitcher, not granules) with a 10-15-10 type of setup, to juice the plants now they the are blooming and blossoming. I lean a bit toward organic, but truth is, I'm not a picky organic gardener. I'm not trying to improve my soil over time; I'm trying to give my plants a kick in the a$$ now that they've got flowers and are on the cusp of getting it in gear. I would like to find a simple water-soluable 10-15-10 or similar fert that is known to specifically help pepper plants get off the dime when their first flowers show up, and get it in gear to give me many, many nights of cheese and bacon stuffed jalapenos in August. Any thoughts on an appropriate product?
Thanks
Larry

Everybody has their own ideas about this so, here's mine. My plants don't seem to care if I feed them "bloom" formula or "growth" formula. I try to keep them actively growing from the beginning with a balanced fert. I think getting the plants big enough to support a large crop has the best payoff for me. When they are ready, they start producing pods no matter what I feed them (as long as it isn't grossly out of balance). If the plants are large, they will support more fruit.
I don't use too many water soluble ferts except in hydro, but have used Miracle Grow tomato formula. Seems to work OK. Have heard good stuff about the Chili Focus Nova recommended but don't know where to buy it here.
Happy growing. :cool:

Peppers bloom and grow simultaniously. So you can use a peters/miracle grow "bloom" type water soluble, and mix by the gallon. But to use it for daily watering dilute it 1:10, add a 1/4tsp of epsom salt per gallon.

Go to you local Home Depot or Lowes and look in the pool chemical aisle, they should have a water hardener, Calcium chloride It runs about 5lbs for $10.. It is water soluble. Ad, 1/4tsp per gallon to your mix.

good luck.

I don't change to any high P for fruiting, I keep with the same NPK ratios for the whole time.

Trying to kick a chile plant's butt with fertilizer will bite you in the butt.

Chiles are not very engineered and can't use lots of fertilizer.

If you want a quick fix for your plant try some CNS17 bloom formula, along with dutch master gold and foliar feed them every other day for a week. Then start them on a regular soil fertilizing feeding.

i use chilli focus but it gets expensive when watering many plants. i also make bat guano tea and found a little goes a long way with pepper plants

Personally I've never found that flowering fertilizers help much with chiles, which continue to grow and flower at the same time
If need be, 15-30-15 is a popular water soluble fertilizer which should be easy to find

I ended up using Miracle Grow TomatoFood (something like 18-18-21), just because it was the only other thing sitting in the garage besides Neptunes Fish/Seaweed, and I felt like trying something different. I mixed it up with some Calmag and applied at full strength. That oughtta cover it for about 3 more weeks.

From what I have read, peppers and most if not all plants keep roughly the same nute ratio requirements throughout their lives, maybe more or less of said ratio at certain stages. Supplying more than the desired ratio is useless because plants do not absorb extra nutrients, only the maximum amount that they can use. If anything you might try limiting Nitrogen to promote fruit size/quality. I have also read that tissue analysis of chili peppers shows an NPK ratio of ~3:1:2 (18/6/12 most commonly in ferts, sometimes 9:3:6).

Plants use nutrients as they are needed. If you attempt to boost them with fertilizer then the unused nutrients will either run out of the bottom of the containre or buildup in the soil which can present absorption of other nutrients.

So many different fertilizer philosophies out there, this one seemed the most legitimate to me.

I like organic or guano teas. Try some jamaican bat, anything high in P/K. Even try a bit of potash. You'll be happier with taste, heat, aroma, virility of fruit set, fruit size, color, etc etc dude trust! :cool:

Greetings...I'm seeking a fert (preferably liquid soluable to mix in a water pitcher, not granules) with a 10-15-10 type of setup, to juice the plants now they the are blooming and blossoming. I lean a bit toward organic, but truth is, I'm not a picky organic gardener. I'm not trying to improve my soil over time; I'm trying to give my plants a kick in the a$$ now that they've got flowers and are on the cusp of getting it in gear. I would like to find a simple water-soluable 10-15-10 or similar fert that is known to specifically help pepper plants get off the dime when their first flowers show up, and get it in gear to give me many, many nights of cheese and bacon stuffed jalapenos in August. Any thoughts on an appropriate product?
Thanks
Larry
jeese, i didn't even read this the whole way through....yikes dude...there are plenty of "organic" choices that will not only meet your "kick in the ass now" requirements, but will surpass them...you prob have the stuff in your back yard for free. :)

Peppers bloom and grow simultaniously. So you can use a peters/miracle grow "bloom" type water soluble, and mix by the gallon. But to use it for daily watering dilute it 1:10, add a 1/4tsp of epsom salt per gallon.

Go to you local Home Depot or Lowes and look in the pool chemical aisle, they should have a water hardener, Calcium chloride It runs about 5lbs for $10.. It is water soluble. Ad, 1/4tsp per gallon to your mix.

good luck.

Does a mix like this store well? If I were to make more than I needed, would it work if I were to :dance: shake before using??

Back