• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking need jalapeno smoking advice

I am thinking of smoking a batch of jalapenos and a few other thick peppers but what then??
I will eat a few but generally what do you do with smoked peppers??
can I then put them in the dehydrator?

The other option is make chipotles in adobo.

I smoked a stringer of green jalapenos with my gas grill earlier this year. It was tough to keep the heat down enough, it put a great flavor in them but it wasn't the same as if I vine-ripened them.
Next year I'll try it right- A temporary 2-chamber brick smokehouse and vine ripened jalapenos.

I make salsa out of them. Yummmmmm. Only smoke them for a while though, not the whole way. They still need to be kinda crunchy.

Ooooh yeah, chipotle salsas are nice.

Here's what I've been doing lately-
I've been experimenting with smoking peppers as well. I'm of the opinion that damn near every food should be smoked, grilled, pickled, or canned- or any and all of the above. You can just smoke the peppers and use them in whatever salsa recipe you already have to make a chipotle salsa- vary your smoke to vary the amount of flavor you want. What I've been honing in on lately is a form of Salsa Borracha (drunken salsa)- basically, I smoke the hell out of the peppers, half of them I leave whole and the other half I halve (that sounds confusing!). I smoke those for three or four days until the halves are completely and totally dehydrated- the whole peppers are still somewhat hydrated. This is a cold smoke, so they don't cook, they dehydrate. Once smoked, I rough-grind the halved peppers (just run a rolling pin over them until they are broken up into coarse chunks) and put all of the peppers and other ingredients into a saucepan filled with beer on low heat, and let them reconstitute in the beer. Once that's done, make your salsa.

Peppers, beer and smoke- how can you go wrong?

Hinky said:

I've even had a smoked beer, Stone Smoked Porter that kicked all kinds of ass with grilled chicken.

My smoker is in hibernation back at my parent's house, you can't smoke things in an apartment/balcony. :(

I smoke the whole with hickory for about 8 hours (cold smoke), then put them in a dehydrator for about three days, the bag them in zip bags or grind them into powder.

Hinky said:

Truer words have never been spoken... :clap:

Back