• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Need some easy recipes for a LOT of peppers!

I have a bunch of peppers and I want to make some sauces while I am off work. I go back friday, so I have a good bit of time on my hands. 

What I have:
2+ gallon bags of Chocolate Scorpions
1 gallon bag of brainstrains
1 gallon bag of mixed scorpions
1 gallon bag of moruga scorpions
1/2 qt bag of reapers

I plan on freezing a bunch, so I am not planning on cooking all of these, but while I have them fresh and right here I would like to use what I can. I want to do 2 different types of hot sauce, maybe a jelly, possibly a "wing", or dipping sauce, and something with smoked peppers. I might as well load the grill up and cook a bunch of them down. Looking to do (on a 10 scale) a 4 and a 7 in sauce, 

My biggest concern...what am I going to do with all of the chocolates???

I saw a good looing recipe on youtube using ghost peppers and some pears, considering that one for sure.

I need great flavor, not just heat. 

I would dry some. Maybe make powder. Best way to store peppers IMO. As far as the recipes go, I'll leave that to more seasoned vets.

I used this jelly recipe the other day (though I used scorpion sweets instead of regular scorps for my wife) and it turned out great! http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34140-black-scorpion-jelly/
I found chocolates make a great smoked powder or sauce as well. 
There's a ton of recipes on here if you search for them. Nearly all the sauces and jellies I've made have come from recipes on here, and none have disappointed unless it was due to my own screw up. 

I have a good bbq sauce recipe feel free to spice it up with your peppers.

Yield: 6 cups.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons American chili powder
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon table salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup steak sauce
1/4 cup dark molasses
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced

Method

1) In a small bowl, mix the American chili powder, black pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.

2) Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and saute until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.

3) Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it. Remember, it is going on meat and will be cooked once again. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic. I prefer leaving them in. They give the sauce a home-made texture. You can use it immediately, but I think it's better when aged overnight. You can store it into clean bottles in the refrigerator for a month or two.

Good hot sauce recipe i have found and made myself on THP is this one check it out.

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/40250-charcoal-grilled-pepper-sauce/?hl=%2Bcharcoal+%2Bgrilled+%2Bpepper+%2Bsauce

Due to popular demand, here's the recipe:

Charcoal Grilled Hot Sauce

Ingredients:

5 ghost peppers
2 dozen thai peppers
1 dozen hot finger peppers
1 dozen scotch bonnet peppers
3 cubanelles (sweet)
2 hot hungarian peppers
half dozen cherry peppers
1 orange bell pepper (seed after grilling)
1 yellow bell pepper (seed after grilling)
1 med. onion thick sliced
1 bulb garlic
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp tex-mex
1 cup pepper infused cider vinegar
1 cup water

Directions:

-Grill peppers, onion, and garlic over charcoal to char, then cut up, add to pot with remaining ingredients.
-Bring all to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes, transfer to blender in small batches and purée. Return to pot and simmer for another hour.  Stir in another cup of apple cider vinegar (1/3 cup at a time) remove from heat and allow to cool.
-Store in repurposed hot sauce bottles or small mason jars.

Here's a bunch more recipes-
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipe_home.html

As far as heat level goes, I use 2 cups jalapeno peppers in about 10 gallons of pico de gallo style salsa to get what the general public considers about a 3 heat level.  That should give you some idea of the ratio of chile:other ingredients.  Of course, using superhots, you'll need to adjust accordingly....

Freezing and drying are also great options when you're not sure what to do with 'em right now.  Also, those VeggieFresh bags work well to keep 'em in the reefer for a couple weeks.

Good Luck and Have Fun! 

2 cups for 10 gallons? Wow! I would have guessed it would have been about a gallon per 10, lol

Thanks for the recipes, I had to push it back till tomorrow. Making a shopping list right now :)

buddy said:

I made a batch of smoked Douglah puree this year.  Very hot but wonderful taste.  One of my favorites that I've ever made.

Flat out the best food item I`ve ever put in my mouth..............

Hope you have a lot of fire eating friends.
Or a big freezer.
I made a quart of Mole and a gallon of sauce, a big pickle jar full of smoked pepper salt, and still have a freezer full of frozen peppers.

I am eating it all as fast as I can, but still get dirty looks from the non spicy contigency about all the room my obsession is taking up.

Tim Vader said:
I have a bunch of peppers and I want to make some sauces while I am off work. I go back friday, so I have a good bit of time on my hands. 

What I have:
2+ gallon bags of Chocolate Scorpions
1 gallon bag of brainstrains
1 gallon bag of mixed scorpions
1 gallon bag of moruga scorpions
1/2 qt bag of reapers

good lord! what you have is a lot of afterburn :)   OK something I have had good luck with, is getting the peppers you want to "process", and blending them up with your favorite salsa ingredients (all raw) adjust salt content to taste then pour the puree into a thin layer in a suitable dehydrator (I cut cloth rings for mine due to the extra moisture) When they were crisp....back into the blender to powderize.  Made one hell of a sneaky pepper.  By the time you got the food just hot enough it would really kick in.

Back