• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Needles First Grow Log (of sorts)

A bit of background.....
I make chilli jam and had been buying the super expensive here in Aus Coles Carolina Reaper pods to add to spice up the habanero base. I collected seeds from various pods to try my hand at growing them when time permitted.

Started late after noticing in Masters (local hardware/garden supplies store) the Chilli Factory "Pot n All" range.
Grabbed a TS Cardi Yellow as I had a spot in the garden it could go. Mentioned it to a few other chilli heads at work (a bunch of us bring in various sauces etc to try) and they also visited their local stores.

One store had Carolina Reapers, so I grabbed 2 of them and also added to the garden.
Since that time I found here :dance:  and have been catching the bug. None of the habanero seeds I put in the garden came up (so will be trying to grow more as recommended in future as i learn here).
Have some seeds in trays at present from various collected pods, although I have no idea on viability etc, so the seedlings may be it for this season.

In the meantime I have bought some Red and orange habanero plants, and a TS Chocolate. These were planted yesterday.

Below are pics of the new grow and I will track that closer. There are a couple of pics of various stages of the TS cardi and reapers but I had not thought of doing this so they are not the greatest.

Enjoying the journey so far. :P

Reapers at first pic time not too long after planting (far left and right at front of garden). Apologies for poor pics.

Reapers 2 weeks ago

Reapers now.

Time for another update...

Have lost the majority of the crop so far to bugs. At least the summer heat is done, so hoping Autumn will allow some extra harvest.
New plants from Seed are all going well, first flower are starting to appear.

Reaper Pods and Plants

TS Cardi Yellow

Aji Pineapple - First flower

Yaki Blue - Flowering and getting tall

Not Red Habs - Look just like Orange ones....Which is annoying

Bishops Crown's - Hard to believe these 2 are the same variety, 1 grown from seed (left) and right a Chilli Factory seedling

Interesting end to the weekend...
Found what has been killing my plants.Curl Grub
[
Removed about 50 of these from around the roots of my plants.They are happily eating all roots and killing everything in the gardens.
Moved the Choc Scorpion into a pot.

Have done multiple neem soaks of the garden beds. Lets see what happens.

Todays Pods - The organza bags are helping!

Needle99 chicken love those, nasty fuckers tho eat on everything you will need to dig up around or use some kind of soil poison to get rid of them :D or get chicken and let is dig around xD collateral damage imminent but oh well.

Nice harvest man, what are you going to do with the peppers?

I did dig up around them, that is how I ended up with 50 or so of them.
They have been killing my tomatoes/eggplants/rocket/silverbeet etc.
The magpies/kookaburras also love eating them.

I have used a neem (azamax) drench of the soil, to kill what I missed digging up.
Hopefully the habaneros in that garden will now have a chance to grow some roots back.....

I am thinking a sauce. Just need to work out what type will suit the TS cardi Yellow flavour

First Bishops Crown pod is ripe

Lots of flowers on the plants I started from seed. So at some point I will see what shape the mystery Hab is growing out, and what the Coles Reapers grow out as!

Not pepper related.....

I think this fly trap may work.....

Emptying it out every few days. Soon there must be no flies left in the neighborhood. I just wish the fruit fly trap worked as well.....

Fly trap photo is hilarious!!  Nice looking BC.  Envious you have a perpetual season ahead of you, I need to think about cutting and composting mine soon, save for a select few overwinters.  

So here is a quick plant update......

First Pod from my plants grown from seed - Aji Pineapple

Yaki Blue is producing lots and lots of pods. I had it isolated for a while so some of the organza covered pods are for seed saving

Newest sprouted seeds

TS Chocolate in its new home away from the Curl Grubs

Plants all startig to go OK

Mystery Orange Thai

Here is a weekend update. Everything going relatively well. Still Nuking Curl Grubs and fighting Fruit flies, but plants are growing OK.

Yaki Blue First Ripe Pod

Yesterday mornings harvest (with a helper)

First Aussie Bruce (or whatever it is) Pods forming

First Mystery Red Hab Pod

Unkown Orange Thai

New Sprouts starting to grow finaly (now they can go in full sun)

Jays Peach has its first isolated POD

Pest damage

TS Choc recovering and starting to flower

First aji Pineapple pod is almost ripe

Peruvian White habanero with lots of pods

Bishops Crown from seed is doing well

Jays Peach is podding up really well

Orange Hab

Orange Thai is going to be a fantastic producer

Yaki Blue

Mystery Red Hab - Both plants producing slightly different shaped pods, so assume a cross of some variety

Both reaper plants still producing well.

Cayenne - Ever reliable
[

Sugar Rush cream is still the fastest growing of the batch of seeds from GIP

Mystery Capsicum

Back