• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nee's first pepper season. (Australia) Pics, vids & banter.. yey! \\(^o^)//

Hi all! Although i've been into hot sauces / chillies for a long time, a Google regarding "growing chillies in Australia" led me to this site......and onto amazing people here in Australia, who have inspired me to grow my own!
There's not a lot to report as of yet, but here's my story so far! Please feel free to give advice to a newbie, as i really want this human vs chilli relationship to work out!

The story so far....

Pre-soaking my chilli seeds. I have 14 or more varieties to sow: From top left to bottom right....

Habanero Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bhut Jolokia
Macedonian
Pimenta da Neyde
Magnum Habanero
7 Pod Jonah

Habanero White Giant
Hot Fish
Cili Goronong
7 Pod Red crossed Yellow
Manzano
Fatalii
Habanero White JellyBean

429184_10150709710846815_512806814_11810990_1071664776_n.jpg

Cutting the seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod....this time with GLOVES!! lol I have a load of extra seeds saved...just in case the winter grow doesn't work out, and i need to replant in the spring.
icon_smile.gif

430242_10150713853211815_512806814_11823775_1936088613_n.jpg

Week 1....seeds are in a propagator, kept at a constant 25 degree's thanks to the cable modem it's sat on! I don't expect any change for 4 weeks or so....fingers crossed!
429053_10150713858641815_512806814_11823787_310071790_n.jpg

Bet your plants are gonna love that shade cloth nee! I've been saying for years that I'm gonna rig some up but still haven't gotten around to it..... :lol:

As for the other plants in the more solid shade, if they are loving it and are thriving there, let 'em be fo' shizzle! Why try to fix what isn't broke? ;)

If the 7 Pot Red x Yellow is still unstable, which I dare say it is, each plant will be different in some way. Someone might be growing a seed saved from the same pod and end up with yellow, and another person red, and another orange. That's the thing with hybrids... chances are, you won't necessarily get what's in the picture. ;)

And :welcome: to the anti-eco-oil club, BTW. :P

Well, it was such good fun here tonight...

We had a family BBQ and invited all the rellies around....and after a few beers we got talking about the various pepper plants growing at our HQ....

So i pulled a couple of tiny ripe 7 pots and a couple of near ripe Goronongs...which a few people were game to try out! I still maintain that the 7 pot is by far the tastiest of the lot! My pods are still real small currently, but still made an impression.... Bernard still says the 7 pot isn't all that hot...whilst i suffered the burn, as did his wife!! We all tried the unripe Cili Goronong pod, which most of us thought tasted like a normal capsicum, without the heat....but my son found REAL hot and was reaching for the milk!

Good on everyone for giving my small pods a go!

Bernard still says the 7 pot isn't all that hot...whilst i suffered the burn, as did his wife!! We all tried the unripe Cili Goronong pod, which most of us thought tasted like a normal capsicum, without the heat....but my son found REAL hot and was reaching for the milk!

Almost what I said. It is hot, but I was ok eating it, whereas I really struggled with the Macedonian which you guys thought was nothing. Would be interesting to see what the Goronongs taste like ripe.

We tried one the F1 super hots i'm growing today and it is more warm than burning hot and has quite a good taste. It was interesting that it continued to ripen even after we picked it.

Hi all!

I got home from work today and was greeted by a sea of colour from my plants! As you will see from the pics below, the pods that have ripened so far aren't very big at all, but i'm thinking that now the weather is a bit more consistent, that from here-in they should start getting a lot bigger! It was, however, my first little harvest...and it was a great feeling to know that i actually achieved growing something to eat...from seed!

OK....some pics from this evening!

Here's my newbies! I can't remember exactly what's in here at the moment, and to be honest i think i will update and list everything that i currently have growing, as it has changed a lot since i started this back in March.
I kept thinking of how painfully slow the new seedlings have taken to get a few sets of leaves, but then it suddenly occured to me that when i started this grow, everything was getting 18 hours of flourescent lighting!!!! So in comparison, seedlings these days seem to take a long time. But now i'm aware of that i will calm down about it!

THE NEWBIES!

61267_10151303625006815_1013042708_n.jpg

Here's some of my small (but ripening!) Fatalii's (yellow)

75966_10151303624996815_940316750_n.jpg

156790_10151303624961815_560129474_n.jpg

7 Pot Red x Yellow

15125_10151303625031815_1971636906_n.jpg

9678_10151303625086815_1378145863_n.jpg

A shot of the majority of the plants......they are loving life under the shade cloth :)

546795_10151303625126815_906979266_n.jpg

There's still a couple left on the other side of the house..... I have managed to pretty much erradicate the aphids, but these are a few suspect plants that i'm keeping away from the main grow area until i can 100% be sure they're gone.

533526_10151303625146815_137915381_n.jpg

LOL...try not to laugh, but i picked these tonight! Yes....tiny, tiny pods!! But to be fair, i chopped and sprinkled one of the 7 pots on a burger this evening and it was soooo nice! So rather than not eat them due to being so small, they will still go down nicely on my platter :)

405001_10151303625191815_91503434_n.jpg

Thanks for looking and enjoy your day :)

Nice vids- don't stop ridin or you'll get stuffy and dull. We briefly had a spell with the bmx bikes in some of the empty pools where the transitions were cool-insurance pretty much killed that.I never got back into it -stayed skating and mtn biking.Then half pipes started to disappear, and I never cared for the street skating stuff-just not the same rush-to each his own.
You friend Rob can make the bike sing-and you and Neil don't look to shabby yourselves;).Where I live down south now, they see occasional mtn bikes on tv, and just don't know how handle someone flying off culverts or riding up shite they can't walk up!Makes it all the more fun;)

okay-peppers right? You can water with a 10% neem oil solution an supposedly the stuff gets into the plant-and that reduces the suckin bastidges a good deal.I just can't afford that much damn neem oil.
That fish looks like an udder....hmmm see how she grows????;)
cheers/beers
Dave

Reactions: nee
It's all really taking off for you, Neil. The side of the house where the majority of the plants are is the area you recently cleaned out that had the tractor tire, right? Looks pristine and like a perfect grow area, especially with the shade cloth. The tiny pods are cool! I'm sure they'll get larger in the next couple of growth rounds, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in them. The new starts look great, as well.

And I have to say, very original avatar! I had to laugh out loud, literally, when I noticed it.

Nice vids- don't stop ridin or you'll get stuffy and dull. We briefly had a spell with the bmx bikes in some of the empty pools where the transitions were cool-insurance pretty much killed that.I never got back into it -stayed skating and mtn biking.Then half pipes started to disappear, and I never cared for the street skating stuff-just not the same rush-to each his own.
You friend Rob can make the bike sing-and you and Neil don't look to shabby yourselves;).Where I live down south now, they see occasional mtn bikes on tv, and just don't know how handle someone flying off culverts or riding up shite they can't walk up!Makes it all the more fun;)

okay-peppers right? You can water with a 10% neem oil solution an supposedly the stuff gets into the plant-and that reduces the suckin bastidges a good deal.I just can't afford that much damn neem oil.
That fish looks like an udder....hmmm see how she grows???? ;)
cheers/beers
Dave
Hi Dave!! I am already guilty of becoming dull, as i've not ridden in a few years now! I stuffed a jump a couple of years back and tore my leg muscle and could hardly walk for about a week. Luckily back then i was still a stay-at-home dad, so there was no pressure to get back to work or anything, but since then i am now the main earner again, and the slightest fall these days results in about a week of pain!! It's hard to believe how quickly i used to heal back in my teens compared to now :( I do still have my bike and my plan for the summer is to dust the cobwebs off it and at least have a cruise around the skateparks here!

As for the Fish Pepper.. I currently have 2 on the go. The first one produced my very first pod a few months back, but hasn't done a thing since...not even a flower!! The 2nd one is from the same batch of seeds, but produces tiny weird-shaped pods, which don't amount to anything! Cool looking plant though, and i'll persist with it...and maybe one day it will yield something :)

It's all really taking off for you, Neil. The side of the house where the majority of the plants are is the area you recently cleaned out that had the tractor tire, right? Looks pristine and like a perfect grow area, especially with the shade cloth. The tiny pods are cool! I'm sure they'll get larger in the next couple of growth rounds, but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed in them. The new starts look great, as well.

And I have to say, very original avatar! I had to laugh out loud, literally, when I noticed it.

Hi Doc!! Thanks for dropping by :)
Yeah, the 'main grow' area is the old tractor tyre area!! It's so obviously a great place to grow now that i've done it, but at the time all i could see was ivy, grass and an annoying area of our garden that we never used! The plants seem to love it there, especially with the shade cloth...which will help keep our bedroom a bit cooler this summer too, as they said on the news tonight that it appears that we're in for a 'proper' summer this year with a few days over 40 degrees (C)!

Glad you liked the avatar!!! lol

After work today i checked up on the plants and spotted a few more ripe ones. I decided to try a Yellow Fatalii tonight, chopped up finely and sprinkled into some risotto that my wife made for dinner.. WOW, there's some heat in those isn't there? They deffo seemed hotter than the small 7 pot i tried the other night anyway! From the small pods i've sampled here though i still love the 7 pot taste and can see why a lot of people rate it as the best hot pepper. :)

Nee it looks like you have everything under control and just remember no grow will ever be perfect ... although some people come pretty close ... pods will vary in size so the main thing is enjoy them.... I find fatalii pods a different type of heat then the 7pot/pods they aren't hotter I don't think but seem to effect your mouth more which gives the impression of more heat. Well that's my theory anyway

Nee it looks like you have everything under control and just remember no grow will ever be perfect ... although some people come pretty close ... pods will vary in size so the main thing is enjoy them.... I find fatalii pods a different type of heat then the 7pot/pods they aren't hotter I don't think but seem to effect your mouth more which gives the impression of more heat. Well that's my theory anyway

Oioi Trippa! Things here are way more than I'd imagined, due to us having never kept a plant alive for more than a few weeks up until now! I have scored a personal goal from all of this, in the fact that I have grown something from seed and have managed to keep it alive and well....but the whole family have also been part of this grow, with my wife and mother in law checking the plants out when I'm at work and being amazed at the new growth, or new pods ripening etc... Even my 7 year old daughter is becoming a chilli head!

Oh, and the Fataliis vs the 7 pots... Currently I still have to rate my yellow Fataliis way above my 7s heat wise. The 7s will probably catch up as the plants mature, but currently the yellow Fataliis are killing me....in a good way though!

It was a fairly warm day in Victoria today...got to about 34 degrees, and my plants were loving it! Went out to have a peek this afternoon and yielded about 5 Cili Goronong, 10 Yellow Fatalii's and a tiny Red Bhut.

The Goronongs don't seem to have any real heat to speak of....maybe when the plant matures and i get bigger pods? The tiny Bhut Jolokia.....BURN!!! Wow...intense!!

20312_10151307776036815_1760341227_n.jpg

Fatalii.....still producing small pods, but they still pack a lot of heat!

558870_10151307776101815_1549815507_n.jpg

When i went outside i found a Blue Tongue lizard outside the kitchen window! It scared me for a second though, as when i spotted it initially, all i could see was the head...and it looked a bit like a snake!
57502_10151307567666815_1064113707_o.jpg

Well, today i decided to list everything i have currently on the go...as it's grown somewhat since i first started out back in March!

Here's my final grow list for this year, as everything i wanted to germinate has now popped and i have no plans to start any more this season :)

GREEN ARE SEEDLINGS

ORANGE ARE MATURING BUT NO FLOWERS OR PODS YET

RED ARE FLOWERING WITH PODS

​-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

16 X MAGNUM HABANERO
1 X OLHO DE PEIXE

3 X 7 POT MADBALLZ
4 X 7 POT RED CROSSED YELLOW
6 X BHUT JOLOKIA ASSAM
2 X BHUT JOLOKIA CHOCOLATE CROSSED 7 POT YELLOW
3 X BISHOPS CROWN
2 X DORSET NAGA
1 X HABANERO WHITE JELLYBEAN
2 X HOT FISH
2 X MANZANO RED
1 X MANZANO YELLOW
1 X PIMENTA DE NEYDE
1 X SCOTCH BONNET TFM
1 X TRINIDAD SCORPION LARGE
3 X TRINIDAD SCORPION SUNRISE
3 X MYSTERY PEPPERS FROM JUNGLERAIN (HOPEFULLY TRINIDAD SCORPION MORUGA CHOC)

2 X 7 POT RED CROSSED YELLOW
2 X BHUT JOLOKIA RED
1 X CILI GORONONG
1 X FATALII RED
2 X FATALII YELLOW
1 X MACEDONIAN
3 X MAGNUM HABANERO

So yeah, my initial plan of growing a few plants seems to have derailed somehow, and turned into 60 ish...lol I'm loving it though!

A few pics from today....

I potted a few up that have sat in tiny cups for what feels like an eternity...but i think due to the hot weather they are suddenly growing! There's a couple that i've already got going pretty well (7 pots) but the Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise are new additions to my list! Yippeeeeee!

9672_10151312046586815_2075761411_n.jpg

Here's the last of my seedlings for this season. I'm pleased to have an Olho De Peixe on the go :) The Mag Habs i'm just going to shove all of them in one large pot and see what happens. I still had a ton of seeds left and thought i may as well just sow them as it beats just looking at a half empty packet of seeds...lol

198208_10151312046626815_830674940_n.jpg

Another pic of the main grow area. Pics on the net always look underwhelming, but i'm really pleased with all the new growth since the better weather kicked in a week or 2 ago.

374554_10151312046591815_61675035_n.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality pic below... It's of my first 'decent sized' pod from my 7 Pot RxY that is now starting to ripen up. :)

556271_10151312046546815_712260750_n.jpg

Malcolm...

401298_10151312046641815_548876642_n.jpg

Cheers all :)

:woohoo: Looking really good Nee! Your season should begin to really take off now.
I'm definitely going to have to make some kind of shade cloth thingy for the Orange Manzano I'm planning. We're down at only about 210 meters of elevation and it'll need protection when the summer heat really kicks in.

Hey Stick!
Yeah, the Manzano's are a funny old variety from what i can gather?

The 2 mature ones i planted in the soil in the front garden, which hardly gets any sun at all except for about an hour in the morning, and they seem to love it there! As a test i also planted a Dorset Naga and a Bishops Crown in the same area, and although they are still alive they really haven't grown much at all.
The Yellow Manzano has had a few flowers on it these past few weeks, but when i look a couple of days later they are gone, with no sign of pods or anything else going on! I'll just have to be patient with them i reckon :)

Back