• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Nee's first pepper season. (Australia) Pics, vids & banter.. yey! \\(^o^)//

Hi all! Although i've been into hot sauces / chillies for a long time, a Google regarding "growing chillies in Australia" led me to this site......and onto amazing people here in Australia, who have inspired me to grow my own!
There's not a lot to report as of yet, but here's my story so far! Please feel free to give advice to a newbie, as i really want this human vs chilli relationship to work out!

The story so far....

Pre-soaking my chilli seeds. I have 14 or more varieties to sow: From top left to bottom right....

Habanero Chocolate
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bhut Jolokia
Macedonian
Pimenta da Neyde
Magnum Habanero
7 Pod Jonah

Habanero White Giant
Hot Fish
Cili Goronong
7 Pod Red crossed Yellow
Manzano
Fatalii
Habanero White JellyBean

429184_10150709710846815_512806814_11810990_1071664776_n.jpg

Cutting the seeds from a Yellow 7 Pod....this time with GLOVES!! lol I have a load of extra seeds saved...just in case the winter grow doesn't work out, and i need to replant in the spring.
icon_smile.gif

430242_10150713853211815_512806814_11823775_1936088613_n.jpg

Week 1....seeds are in a propagator, kept at a constant 25 degree's thanks to the cable modem it's sat on! I don't expect any change for 4 weeks or so....fingers crossed!
429053_10150713858641815_512806814_11823787_310071790_n.jpg

Hooey! Katy bar the door! You're going for it ain't you. Good thing you have an understanding wife. Does she eat chiles too?

Funny enough Rick, she doesn't!!! Although on saying that, she has been adding my srichacha sauce to bolognese for the last few years, and saying "that without it it's lacking flavor"...so i'm quietly hoping that it's a good sign! I reckon she'll secretly miss the plants if they aren't in the house too!!
Yesterday i moved them out of the kitchen window overnight, as the temps were dipping to 1 degree! (33.8 degs in Fahrenheit!)....i left for work in the morning and was going to phone her to ask if she could put the plants back in the windowsill during the day to catch precious sunlight, but i forgot to phone.......but i was stoked to find on my return that she'd done it for me anyway :) She's amazing!
Also, my 7 year old daughter asked for a couple of drops of Grant's (Jungle Rain) Inquisition 7 pot sauce to mix into her meal the other day too! It was a special moment as you can imagine!

Isn't that a form of child abuse Nee? "mummy mummy my bottoms on fire & its daddy`s fault" :P

Start there taste pallet young i say, i was lucky my dad was Hungarian so i was introduced to spicy home cooked foods from day one. Try Masterfoods BBQ sauce Nee with added Bhut Jolokia, its divine.

Mezo.

Reactions: nee
AHAHAHAAAA Mezooooo :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: !! Isnt it great when they come around Nee?!?!?!?!?!? I dont think my oldest daughter will ever eat spice. As she should due to a hemangioma on her tongue. The younger one on the other hand, is a spice head like her mom ;)

I dont think my oldest daughter will ever eat spice. As she should due to a hemangioma on her tongue.

Im not so sure? read up on the subject Sanarda, from my reading capsaicin has been used to relive the pain of a hemangioma. Maybe it can fix it? certainly worth trying it to see if she gets some relief, failing that its laser surgery.

Mezo.

She had her second laser surgery today because it returned (albeit not to the same degree as it was pre-surgery) on the tip of her tongue. I may try to introduce some mildly hots to her once she is completely healed. She is 20 and pretty much set in her culinary ways but she may be opened to it.

Thanks Mez

Hi guys!! Got a little bit of an update, will speak more of that in a sec...

I've had a mad couple of days here! Not sure if any of you venture into the 'lounge' area on here, so i'll repost whats been going on!

OK, last year i posted a vid of my son when he was 8, doing ping pong ball tricks on youtube, and after a while the vid gained momentum and had a mad flurry of hits, settling down to around 14,000.
Tom was stoked, and set about doing another video with newer tricks etc.

I posted it on youtube late last year, and it got a couple of hundred hits, and about 2 comments.....

So on a whim on Thursday night, i decided to have another go, and reposted in to Youtube......Well, i woke up on Friday morning and checked my emails to find 200+ emails from youtube notifying me that somebody had made a comment....yey!

I looked just now, and the vid has had 152,000 hits since late Thursday night....it has appeared on the MSN homepage....as well as on the Daily Mirror website in the UK....i've had emails from ABC America, Nickelodeon, CBS, ESPN and a few others asking if they can show it....plus the marketing company that made that "charlie bit me" video go viral on Youtube have offered to take it onboard....it's all a bit mad really!

Here's the vid on the Mirror site if interested.. http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/video-watch-9-year-old-perform-incredible-945655

ANYWAY....amongst all this i still managed to build my new grow-box!! And here she is.....

426168_10151050434611815_1423372830_n.jpg

I'm now running 2 x 6500k / 1 x 4200k / 1 x 5000k tubes.....plus i have fans mounted on each side, but not hooked up yet! (thats a sunday type job!)

524248_10151050434951815_40808718_n.jpg

I'm a little bit guilty of underwatering lately....but they'll be fine :)

376500_10151050435221815_1688187050_n.jpg

So that's all for now.....
cheers for having a gander :)

Neil

Now if he could hone them skills with a bat in his hand we would have a real life Forest Gump.

Grow box looks the part mate.

Mezo.

Hey Nee, just came accross your Glog. Good stuff!

I'm down in Melbourne and are pretty much doing the same thing as you with it all.

It's so fun isn't it! Did you have troubles with your yellow 7 pots? Seem to take me ages to germinate.

I've got a CFL setup in my spare room, works a treat! I like your set up. How long now do you have your little guys in the lights for?

And another quick thing. Just after reading through your glog, i went and double checked the colour CFL that I'm using.. I was using a 2400K for this whole time.

I thought it was the 6400K. So thanks for helping me out! I have them under the lights for 12 hours.. but just have recently upped it to 15hours. Hopefully I see a big change!!

Chris.

Wow Nee. Thats great about your son. Hopefully he can take it to the next level. Very Cool. Your grow box looks fantastic. I am inspired to pull out my hubby's drill..hmmmmmmmmm

Hey Nee, just came accross your Glog. Good stuff!

I'm down in Melbourne and are pretty much doing the same thing as you with it all.

It's so fun isn't it! Did you have troubles with your yellow 7 pots? Seem to take me ages to germinate.

I've got a CFL setup in my spare room, works a treat! I like your set up. How long now do you have your little guys in the lights for?

And another quick thing. Just after reading through your glog, i went and double checked the colour CFL that I'm using.. I was using a 2400K for this whole time.

I thought it was the 6400K. So thanks for helping me out! I have them under the lights for 12 hours.. but just have recently upped it to 15hours. Hopefully I see a big change!!

Chris.

Hi Chris!
Currently i have the lights on for about 18 hours, but i'll probably cut it down to around 15 now. I read somewhere that 18 hours is ideal, but i guess everyone has their own theories etc
There's a great post on here somewhere regarding the light spectrum and what plants need etc...will see if i can find it, as it's pretty interesting!

As for the 7 pots, the only ones i have so far are red crossed yellow, which seemed to germinate without too much trouble. Where have you got your seeds located?

Oh, and which end of Melbourne are you Chris?

Neil

Hi Chris!
Currently i have the lights on for about 18 hours, but i'll probably cut it down to around 15 now. I read somewhere that 18 hours is ideal, but i guess everyone has their own theories etc
There's a great post on here somewhere regarding the light spectrum and what plants need etc...will see if i can find it, as it's pretty interesting!

As for the 7 pots, the only ones i have so far are red crossed yellow, which seemed to germinate without too much trouble. Where have you got your seeds located?

Oh, and which end of Melbourne are you Chris?

Neil

Hey Neil.

Thanks for the info. We will see how they go on for 16 hours under the 6400k cfl.

Ive got the seeds on a heated propogator

Works really well. Usually germinate in 5-7 days.i think the previous yellow seven pot seeds weren't too good. I have about 50 plants in my grow room and another 20 larger ones in a greenhouse in my back yard.

I'm from south east Melbourne. My work friend lives in Geelong too. I should start a tread about my growing.

I start them in jiffy's like you aswell.

How often are you watering your babies in those large pots? And how is your temp and humidity under the lights?

How often are you watering your babies in those large pots? And how is your temp and humidity under the lights?
The temp under the lights hovers around the 20 - 22 mark.
I *was* watering every 4 or 5 days, but i'm finding that i when i check on them on day 5, some of them have wilted really badly...so i've gone down to every 3 days now. I don't mind a bit of wilting, but sometimes i feel they've been a bit borderline as to whether they'd come back!! So just to be safe i upped it....they seem to be fine on every 3 days.

Im having major issues with those daft fungus gnats again...going to flush them with hydrogen peroxide again this week i think!

Been a busy old day here...my son had an interview with a local paper ref his ping pong video, and it's on the front page of all the big news websites here in Aus...plus we have Channel 7 coming here tomorrow morning...the phone's been non stop.. been fun though!

Set him up a basket ball hoop Nee, one day he could be collecting a gold medal at the Olympics. :party:

I was reading through the comments on YouTube, god there are some negative wankers out there, its just a bit of fun.

Have you Googled "Tom Ping Pong" yet Nee?

Mezo.

Back