• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

New Bay Leaf Trees with Air Layering

Air layering is when you scratch off the outer bark of a branch, covering it with moist peat moss or something similar and then wrapping it up until it grows roots from the exposed inner bark. Root tone is often used. I used some branches that were close to the ground and then covered it with a layer of dirt. Finally after about six month I have enough root growth to cut off from the main plant and put into the ground. Fairly similar to cloning, but doing it while still connected to the plant.

Now I have two more Crispa/Pie Crust Bay leaf plants. At $15/4" plant, this a great way to multiply established plants cheaply.

That is one herb that I want for my garden/ back yard. I would put one in a 15 gallon container to keep it smaller and bushier. I'm going to acquire one this spring. Allot of recipes I like call for Bay Laurel leaves and they are really expensive in the stores.

I have most of mine in 5 gallon frosting buckets but I have transplanted one into a 10 gallon. I think they are pretty hardy so if you don't think you're going to move you can just plant it in the ground.

SavinaRed said:
That one herb that I want for my garden/ back yard. I would put one in a 15 gallon container to keep it smaller and bushier. I'm going to acquire one this spring. Allot of recipes I like call for Bay Laurel leaves and they are really expensive in the stores.
Mines been going strong for about 4 years now.... i love it.... very low maintenance plant....

SavinaRed said:
That is one herb that I want for my garden/ back yard. I would put one in a 15 gallon container to keep it smaller and bushier. I'm going to acquire one this spring. Allot of recipes I like call for Bay Laurel leaves and they are really expensive in the stores.
Almost all my Creole/Cajun recipes call for bay leaf. This particular variety is very aromatic.

hot stuff said:
Almost all my Creole/Cajun recipes call for bay leaf. This particular variety is very aromatic.
is yours different from a Bay Laurel and if so whats the taste difference, thanks !

Back