• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

fertilizer new member general question re: fertilizer

Greetings from Wichita, KS!

I have 13 plants that i transplanted about 18 days ago from pots to normal soil in my garden. Within a few days, I noticed their leaves starting to yellow a bit. I have kept them watered well and was lucky to have mild and shady weather for the first week or so, but they don't seem to have recovered yet.

What type of fertilizer would everyone recommend? There are six different species, and all are 8-10 in. tall plants, except the orange habs that are only 3-4. Is a different type of fertilizer (and a second application) recommended later when they start to really put on pods?

Thanks very much.

I use a combination of fish emulsion and epsom salt. I alternate every two to three weeks. THe epsom salt is two tablespoons dissolved in a normal sized spray bottle with water. Then soak the plants well. Also, make sure you have good drainage and also aren't watering them too much.

When you say watered well, how often are you talking about? Sounds like you might have overwatered them.
I'd say to stick your finger in the soil, if the top inch and a half or so isn't dry or if the leaves aren't wilting, stop watering them and see if things get better.

Mild and shady plus a lot of water could be a lot of the problem. I agree with SkyD and SY above, just give them a break for a while. They should stabilize before you give them any ferts. Always fertilize on the light side to be safe, peppers don't need much at all.

Your soil may need some nitrogen. Try to use some organics in your garden like compost or aged manure. It will help your garden soil as well as feed your plants
I also agree with the others and don't overwater

Thanks very much, everyone, for the advice. I think transplant shock may have been most of the problem for that first week or so. All the plants are now looking much better, and today I added a little tomato and pepper, low nitrogen fertilizer. The point about not overwatering is understood. Thanks!

I use a combination of fish emulsion and epsom salt. I alternate every two to three weeks. THe epsom salt is two tablespoons dissolved in a normal sized spray bottle with water. Then soak the plants well. Also, make sure you have good drainage and also aren't watering them too much.

I've seen posts with people talking about fish emulsion but I know nothing about it. So without searching can someone give me a quick lesson about it? Can it be bought in stores? If so where, because I haven't noticed it around here. What is so good about it. Thanks, I'm loving this board because of all the info you can learn in a short amount of time.

It can be bought pretty much anywhere that sells plants. It is a great all purpose fertilizer. Like potawie said, also use good compost and composted manure to top dress part way through the season to help build the soil up and feed the plants. I top dress my containers with composted cow manure every 6 weeks or so.

It can be bought pretty much anywhere that sells plants. It is a great all purpose fertilizer. Like potawie said, also use good compost and composted manure to top dress part way through the season to help build the soil up and feed the plants. I top dress my containers with composted cow manure every 6 weeks or so.

Thanks! When you say "top dress" do you mean just spreading it around the top?

Thanks! When you say "top dress" do you mean just spreading it around the top?

That and watering it in. I generally bottom water my containers all throughout the summer but when top dressing, top water for about a week to make sure the nutes go down.

Sorry, one more thing. I know you said pretty much anywhere that sells plants, so can it be bought at Home Depot or Lowes?

Ok I got a bottle of the fish emulsion today. How do you all that use it apply it? Also how much do you use? My plants are all about 8-12 inches tall. Also I'm going to spray with Epsom salt also. Can I do both at the same time or should I wait on one or the other?

Back