• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

New Mexican Food

I figured I would create a thread for New Mexican food. Please share your delicious New Mexican dishes and recipes here.

I'll start this off with a classic southern NM dish. Chile con carne.

You don't need many ingredients, but good roasted hatch green chile is a requirement. I used about 20 roasted big jims for this. De seed the chiles, remove the stems, then roughly chop them. Cube up your beef, rough chop an onion, and a couple of cloves of garlic. Throw all that goodness in a crock pot for about 5 hours on low, and serve once tender with some refried beans and a tortilla. I also like to serve a fried egg with it, but it's not necessary. Simple and delicious!

Attachments

• 20160119_143201.jpg
    20160119_143201.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20160119_215437.jpg
    20160119_215437.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 134
Thegreenchilemonster said:
Start off by making the NM red chile sauce that I have detailed in previous recipes.

Where? I looked at every recipe and didn't find it. Am I just blind?

I REALLY need this recipe! I want it over eggs like in your post in the breakfast thread!!!!!!!

Scoville DeVille said:
So this then (minus the pork shoulder, obviously)? I really appreciate this!

1 8lb pork shoulder
12 oz. dried New Mexico chile pods
15-30 dried pequin pods
1/2 head of garlic
1 Tbsp. Marjoram
1/2 Tbsp. coriander
1 tsp. cumin
3 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup vinegar
48 oz. chicken stock
Exactly. Make sure to use legit NM red chile pods. Guajillo, ancho, de arbol, etc. will not cut it, if you want the authentic New Mexican flavor.

Also, make sure to salt to taste. I didn't include salt in the ingredients, because it is up to your salt preference as far as how much you want to add. As you are getting close to done with the sauce, taste frequently to determine your desired saltiness.

Thanks for the tip! I have all of them peppers. How do you think I make my Molé? LOL

NM chiles are tho most versatile IMO next to California Chiles (with zero heat).

I am gonna be aaaaalllllllll over this sauce man! Thank you!

Exactly. Make sure to use legit NM red chile pods. Guajillo, ancho, de arbol, etc. will not cut it, if you want the authentic New Mexican flavor.

I was going to ask about possible substitutes but had a feeling this would probably be the answer.

Was very interested in trying some of your recipes... specifically the carne adovada and your smashing looking soups....  :mope:

Thanks for the Carne Adovada recipe. Never made this before. I will plate up tomorrow. Marinating over night in the fridge. Marinade tastes great.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.1 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 63
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    120.5 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 64
Tinnie said:

I was going to ask about possible substitutes but had a feeling this would probably be the answer.

Was very interested in trying some of your recipes... specifically the carne adovada and your smashing looking soups....  :mope:
There has got to be a way to get them in your country. Are you allowed to have dried chiles to be shipped in, or maybe the powder from dry pods?
OCD Chilehead said:
Thanks for the Carne Adovada recipe. Never made this before. I will plate up tomorrow. Marinating over night in the fridge. Marinade tastes great.
Looking good!

There has got to be a way to get them in your country. Are you allowed to have dried chiles to be shipped in, or maybe the powder from dry pods?

Not sure tbh. Id be leaning towards probably not.

Did a little more digging and found one company that sells them..... but at $6.50 for 30g it would cost me nearly $80 just for the peppers!!...  and thats even if he has that much in stock  :rofl:  :high:
Will be heading down to my Latin grocer next week sometime.... they're not on his website but he may have some in store.... if not i'll have a chat to him... see if i can put in an order for the next shipment of products they get in....

holy sh*&!

That looks so awesome. I need some green, maybe some avocado slices and pico but damnnnnn!

Back