• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

greenhouse New Project.....11-08-08...portable greenhouse

Looks great AJ. That should work out great for your climate there in Fort Worth. BTW, you had me giggling about being in Fort Worth and not Dallas. Boy, I miss Texas...

I have several options for heat up to and including butane heaters...our first freeze is coming this Saturday night/Sunday morning and the first thing I am going to have to do is close up the gaps in the corners...visquene and duct tape...I have even thought of making a couple of holes in the ground and putting about 10 pounds of charcoal in each hole to use for heat on extreme days...

AlabamaJack said:
I have several options for heat up to and including butane heaters...our first freeze is coming this Saturday night/Sunday morning and the first thing I am going to have to do is close up the gaps in the corners...visquene and duct tape...I have even thought of making a couple of holes in the ground and putting about 10 pounds of charcoal in each hole to use for heat on extreme days...

Butane heater would have extra benefit up upping CO2 levels, too bad it would be at night lol. I really like that idea about charcoal pits though, that's cheap and would put off a lot of heat. How did the weather treat yall tonight? We just barely got any rain down here, and looks like only getting to 38 on saturday night. Good luck this week man lets see if we can ride this out til december :clap:

almost lost the roof...not to wind but to water collection...we have gotten 3 3/4" of rain in the past 1 1/2 hours....got it propped up from the inside now with 2 X 4's to make sure the rain runs off and doesn't collect...just looked at the radar and we may get another 1-2 inches before this front passes thru....this is the most rain in the shortest amount of time I have seen here in Fort Worth (where I live) in the past 20 years....my raised area looks like a lake and is running down the steps.....

wordwiz said:
Brian,

AJ's plan gave me an idea - to build a temporary greenhouse to harden off plants in the spring. Plants that I want to sell in early May would go out there in the middle of March and we still have lots of cold nights here in Cincinnati during that month and even April. What I am thinking about doing is to fill the bottom of the greenhouse with the foliage I will trim from 1000 sq. ft. of wheat I am growing now as well as lining the walls with 2-liter bottles of water (like AJ's idea of using milk jugs). The composting of the wheat will give off some heat and the water bottles will too. If a frigid night is forecast, I can stick a couple of 100 watt light bulbs in the coldframe also. The idea is to have about 60 sq, ft. of space to keep above freezing, which is not that much.

Mike
Thats a pretty good idea. I know that I would need something to keep it warm especially in the really cold months here.

awesome little greenhouse and space you have there AJ !

nice brick work as well leading up to the greenhouse..lol

600 for the greehouse eh ?...did you come across anything a little smaller and cheaper

thanks Hotpeppa,

there are some 8 X 10s on the net that are about 300 or a little less..

Josh,

I don't know - geez you need to ask these questions during daylight hours so I can check! But it probably is Schedule 40.

My plans are to make it about 20' long and 3' wide. One side will be about 5.5' tall, the other 4.5'. I've got a bunch of tobacco sticks I can drive in the ground inside the vertical posts so I won't have to worry about it being blowed away and as long as I don't glue the PVC together, I can take it down once warm weather arrives.

Mike

WW,

If you are concerned about wind on the frame, if you have a portable drill, you could try screwing through the pvc joins. Easy enough to remove when needed, strong enough to hold it together.

AJ,

I shoulda mentioned it in my earlier post, but cross bracing the roof sections with a light nylon 'guy wire' may prevent the pooling of the water

ring sting said:
AJ,

I shoulda mentioned it in my earlier post, but cross bracing the roof sections with a light nylon 'guy wire' may prevent the pooling of the water

Thanks RS...I am planning on doing something like that just as soon as the area dries out...it is very muddy at the present time...also, I can adjust the width of the structure and if I make it a little wider, there will be more tension on the roof...

first freeze predicted for Saturday night/sunday morning so my season is quickly coming to an end...

ring sting said:
Also, would cross bracing the sides be helpful in strong winds in keeping the entire frame rigid? I noticed that there is none on the roof sections or the walls.

These things are monocoque and the skin is stressed.

:rolleyes: had to go look up the word monocoque...

I think that was the problem willard, I did not have the "skin" loaded enough..

I will work it hopefully tomorrow after the "mud" dries so I can walk on it...

found out something about the retaining wall system...it holds water too well...got to figure a way to let it drain better than it did...running over the top cap isn't acceptable...

I don't think the retaining system itself is holding the water, it's probably the soil they used and it was tampered, too.

Getting the tension right will take a while A.J the trouble with that type of ply is that it shifts and really need to e very taught indeed,Unfortunately you don't no till like you have get some of the right weather to fully test it..Didn't look taught enough to me and the way it goes round the frame seems unusual..:)

AJ - the finished blockwork looks great! the carport thing is a good idea, in fact this whole thread gave me an idea (as well for others also)

AlabamaJack said:
found out something about the retaining wall system...it holds water too well...got to figure a way to let it drain better than it did...running over the top cap isn't acceptable...

thats why you add drain tile behind them or any kind of retaining walls ;) at least thats what we folks do up here.
I wish I took a picture of this retaining wall that collapsed several years ago (at a gas station) it must of been about a good 30FT-40FT high & we had plenty of rain, the wall collapsed the 30FT-40FT high & about 40FT wide also. not 1 drain tile in sight :violin::lol:

Back