smokers New Smoker - Which style?

Digital thermometer/meat probes are good, just spend the money on a decent one. E gone through lots of the cheap ones.

Currently using the maverick et-733 I think, the 735 has Bluetooth and a phone app, but I went with the standard model. Very happy and accurate

Welding gloves

Food gloves/silicone or sort

Chimney starter, yet again get a decent one, I've burnt through 3 cheap Bunnings/masters one. The heat bead brand is nice and strong

Good knives, for trimming and skinning

That's about it

Booma said:
Yep that's them, a little more pricey than the $10 ones but I currently have 3 that are completely burnt out
They are built well
I have that one too, 2 years and going strong

Booma said:
Yep that's them, a little more pricey than the $10 ones but I currently have 3 that are completely burnt out

They are built well

Right now my Weber one is going nicely but it is still fairly new so I guess we'll see how long it lasts.

Shorerider said:
Thanks Salty, I have bought the chimney already, and the ProQ Excel 20 Elite will be the smoker I'll get once they are available again. Can't wait!
SR.
Awesome brother!!! Looking forward to many fantastic cooks and lots of pics. Oh will be posting tomorrow a full product review of your sauces and powder you sent me. Had some meatloaf last night with the smoke ad fire sauce.
Don't want to spoil the review but Dddaaaaaammmmmmmm that is one super clean sauce taste like I'm eating peppers out of your garden. Absolutely delicious Heather loved ,it to but was finishing off SmokenFire El Capitan so she's going to review yours with me tomorrow. :) I couldn't take it anymore those beautiful bottles just staring at me. Calling me over here mate have a taste!!!!!
IMG_20150714_205129.jpg
IMG_20150714_205138.jpg

Can't begin to thank you enough. But now I'm addicted!!! You cheeky bastard! :) :)

Thanks for the kind words Salty, I'm glad you liked it. My best pepper haul to date.....
20150530_182148.jpg

......went into that sauce, so yes, you WERE eating peppers straight out of my garden. You got one of only 10 bottles from batch number 19 (http://thehotpepper.com/topic/46946-shoreriders-slog-sauce-log/page-3) ,and you are the only person outside of Australia to have a bottle.

My evil plan was to get you addicted to my sauce, then charge you like a wounded bull for every bottle after that! Dam, you've caught on to me, now I'll have to make my fortune by selling bogus "Carolina Reaper" seeds on eBay.  :rofl:

I look forward to you and Heather giving the review. 

SR.

Hahaha hahaha hahaha yup you've been found out!!! :) But really brother so fresh fantastic just like a garden in my mouth. Killer heat have a great BBQ sauce a tomato based sweet sauce can't wait to add to this to it for the killer kick!!

oldsalty said:
Ok brother I have to say why did you buy a cardboard box?? If you want a real smoker and are hurting for cash ill gladly chip in my friend. Hahaha Nice brother let's see her in all her naked glory!!!
Cheers mate! :)
Ha, ha. I'll have to peel off her (gotta think of a name) clothes and post up some better pics. Don't know when I'll be able to put it to use, working 10-12hr shifts 7 days a week leaves little time for Q'ing. 

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice barbie now where's the shrimp?
Thanks Boss, first up will be a butterflied chook I think, just to get the hang of it.... :P

The store owner said I needn't season it because it is enameled and not painted. Any thoughts on this? 

Maverick ET-733 is on its way. 

On another note, going HERE next month

SR.

Shorerider said:
The store owner said I needn't season it because it is enameled and not painted. Any thoughts on this? 

Can't hurt to put a few pounds (kilos?) of charcoal through it on a test run to see how the temps maintain and get a lesson on how the vents effect air flow.  When I broke in my wsm I smoked a couple big onions and a few pods I had on hand.  All came out great and I felt better about how to control the fire.  :)

I'm thinking I'll fire it up next weekend as I'm working right through this one. In the meantime, I have a question regarding the water pan.

In my research on smoking with the ProQ, I've read quite a few different opinions as to the best setup of the water pan. You would think you'd just add water right? Well, some people have other ideas, here's an example.

http://ukbbqreview.com/smoker-reviews/proq-excel-elite-review/

Others say to put volcanic rocks, sand or even foil balls in the water pan.

Some methods may work better than others depending on what you're cooking, so it may just be a case of trial and error.

Would appreciate input from seasoned smokers regarding the water pan setup.

Thanks,

SR.

Purpose to put something in the water so it does not boil over and the bubbles are smaller reducing turbulence. Lava rocks I would use. If you use regular tap water it can give off flavors like clourine and other crap depending on your communities water system and politics, distilled water would be best so you don't end up with deposits on the pan.
My 2 cents.
:)

Back