smokers New Smoker - Which style?

Hey Brother I usually put rocks or brick in water pans to help with heat control. As far as liquid you can use ANYTHING you like. Depends on the cook. In my experience it varies depending on the protein you cooking. Large cut with lots of fat like pork butt create lots of moisture in cabinet. So using heat bricks in the pan helps extend cooking time and works great to help control temp. I tend to dry cook these type cuts. Smaller cuts like ribs or chicken do much better with liquid in the pan to keep moisture up, slows cooking time allowing for longer smoke better smoke penetration and a moisture finished product!! :)

I think dragonsfire has a great suggestion about using cleaner water unless you have a filter. Are water is great here never had a flavor issue. I'm also in the school of adding flavored liquids really does nothing. I've eaten a thousand beer can chickens. And can never taste any beer flavor. More about retaining moisture.
But that's just an old salts opinion! :)
Cheers mate

Well here she is. 
20151116_184613.jpg

Q'ing pics to follow soon.

SR.

Wow THE UNBOXING!!! Hahaha spell check fought me the whole way on that word!! Hahaha All right!!! And I've got to say She's A Beauty Shorerider!!! Standing there in all her naked METAL!!! I think I'm getting the vapors!! Somebody bring me a mint julep!!!!

Looking forward to those Q PICS MY BROTHER!!!!!! :) Nice purchase!! Are you going to season it!!! Any ideas on first cook!!! Oohhhhhhh Boy!!! Sorry get overly excited around BBQ equipment!! Hahaha

Cheers Mate!! :)

Thanks O.S and Ozzy. I fired her up this Arvo with a 1/3 full basket of charcoal briquettes and some Hickory thrown in on top.

I'm glad I did this because she was as leaky as a Colins Class Submarine. Between stacks, and around the doors. BUT, I was prepared for it. Had some heatproof 2mm or 1/8" thick material and double sided tape on hand to seal the problem areas.

Between stacks. 
20151121_174529.jpg

Around the doors.
20151121_174541.jpg

Worked great, now only have very small leaks coming through the hinges that I'm not sure how I'm going to seal, but I'll think of something. 

I was pressed for time (Damn work), so couldn't play with temps much at all. With the fuel it had,  and the vents all open,  it only got to 180F. There wasn't any where near enough fuel, and I was using very cheap briquettes which wouldn't have helped at all.

Tomorrow is another story, I have good quality charcoal, and some nice Apple chunks.

On the menu tomorrow:

×4 Chicken Maryland (whole leg and thigh)
×2 "American style" ribs. (Is that what they're called in the US? :rofl: )
×1 Lamb leg.

If all goes well, I may post pics.

SR.

Shorerider You made a good choice in cookers, in my opinion. It'll serve you for many years. When they first started making the proQ there were quite a few positive posts on several of the BBQ forums about how well they work, there were a few concerning the paint burning off too, as I recall, but I believe they went to a more durable finish since then . A few the guys were doing local competitions with them etc. In general the BBQ community seems to have confidence in the proQ. I'v never handled the ProQ personally but I have used a fairly wide variety outdoor cooking equipment, including the WSM. 

It wouldn't hurt to season the cooker a little, although its not neccessary, but I'd start by washing it with soapy water and rinse it (cold water is fine). It dont need to be sterilized but id wash any manufacturing residue off. I doubt it'll kill you if you dont though. A light coat of cheap veggy oil, or whatever you have, applied to the inside works best  (just a real quick rub down), then a short test fire for a few hours, so as not to be wastefull with fuel. A test fire will help get you familiar with setting up, running the temp within your target temperature range, and shutting down the cooker before you throw a big hunk of meat in it. 

Dont get to worked up over what to do with the water pan or anything else, just drink a few beers, relax and take it easy. Youll get it all figured out and find out what works best for you as you go. 

Most important thing to do is have fun playing your food & fire.
Looks like you were all over it while I was doing the hunt & peck on keyboard.

Have a great day. 

Thanks for the info HFG. The reason I chose this smoker, and in particular the "Elite" series, is because they are Enamel coated (1mm thick steel) and not painted. I have an Enameled Beefeater Grill and the finish is as tough as nails, so hopefully it will hold up well. It also has Stainless steel handles, grates and other bits and pieces for piece of mind. 

It seems very well made besides the leaks (but they all do) .

I gave it a quick season yesterday as I mentioned earlier. I plan to smoke today, so I will clean things down before I fire it up. I also have a Canola spray I could use for seasoning the inside.

Can't wait. 

SR.

Pretty sure every commercial cooker is porcelain enameled inside, paint would be toxic. If not it is raw metal like barrel cookers or custom smokers, and you season. But never paint inside, only out.

In my OP, I was tossing up between the ProQ and the Hark offset. The Hark is painted, the ProQ is Porcelain Enameled. 

SR.

Nice choice, but grills are not painted on the inside it's an enameled coating, like your oven inside, that's not paint, if it was, that would be toxic. It can look like paint.

The Hot Pepper said:
Nice choice, but grills are not painted on the inside it's an enameled coating, like your oven inside, that's not paint, if it was, that would be toxic. It can look like paint.

You can use this link and ask Ian or Bill if thats paint or enamel yourself, like I stated above "I believe they went to a more durable finish since then".

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21972

Getting back to the OP. The leaks might be able to be fixed with a bear hug on the stacker and over time the more its used, and muck builds up, the better it'll seal. Rotating the parts might help find a spot where they fit together better too. Works on Webers anyways.

I was talking about the inside not out... but anyway.

Today's Q'ing. 

Chicken and Lamb leg.
20151122_173602.jpg

Ribs.
20151122_175623.jpg

20151122_180155.jpg

20151122_183659.jpg

20151122_181745.jpg

Struggled to maintain 210F. The charcoal I used didn't seem all that volatile. Vents were all left open for the entire cook and the water pan was  kept topped up. 

I didn't think this cook would have worked out as well as it did,  but in the end it was delicious and cooked well.

I'm knackered!!!

SR.

Wow nice first cook on the new smoker brother!!! Everything had beautiful looking bark and nice smoke ring on the lamb!!!
Was that Australian style lamb? Because those ribs looked American to me!!! Hahaha Great job my Brother!!

I'd jump on my board and paddle over for lunch but I'm busy today!! Damn!!! :)

What was the temp outdoors during your cook? I'm sure you'll dial in your temp issues with a few more cooks!!
Temps were a little low but your cook looks stellar!!

Cheers Mate!! :)

Back