smokers New Smoker - Which style?

Looks bangin' ...

I'd have a hard time maintaining 210F too, unless it was a very small fire (like one made in a SS basket inside) ...

Shorerider said:
Well here she is. 

Q'ing pics to follow soon.

SR.

You pushed the button on the Pro Q, congrats mate.  Looking forward to your food threads this year! 

Thanks guys, the temperature on the day of the cook was 20C or 68F. Not the warmest of days, but the sun was out. I'll explain my temperature issues a little better. I couldn't get the temperature any higher than 210F, and it would drop to around 196F until I gave the charcoal a stir where it would then rise back up to 210F. Even moving the smoker in to the sun didn't help much.

Lamb was on for 8hrs and the chicken and ribs 6hrs. It was all cooked fine as I checked internal temps before pulling it all from the heat.

The only thing I would've liked is for the Lamb (yes it was Aussie Lamb O.S, Kiwi Lambs run too fast for the farmers to catch :dance: ) to have been a bit more tender. But, that is the nature of Lamb, it needs a longer cook to dissolve all the connecting tissue for it to become tender. As it was though, it sliced perfectly, and tasted great.

The charcoal basket base has a grate with gaps that could possibly be too large, letting smaller bits of lit charcoal fall through. This leaves only the larger charcoal pieces to light each other.

I'll try a few things on my next cook to help get the heat higher.

I have officially been banned from taking leftovers to work unless I have enough for everyone.  :rofl:

SR.

Did a smoke today for Christmas eve dinner. 
20151224_170723.jpg

Bolar blade roast. Trying to hunt down a Brisket a few days before Christmas is impossible. Still, I was quite happy with the end result.
20151224_174607.jpg

Merry Christmas to all. 

SR.

Cheers guys, I must say that this kind of cooking is downright addictive, and the results are well worth the long cook.

SR.

So a few weeks in and knowing you I'm sure you've done several more cooks on your new rig.  How are you liking it my friend?

:)

I'm loving it mate, and kinda a little disappointed I hadn't done this sooner. The roast above was actually a tiny part of larger cook up I did for my extended family on Christmas eve. I didn't post pics because they were an afterthought and didn't get any decent cooked pics.

Roast bottom middle (had been on for two hours here), chicken breasts beside it, ribs above.
20151224_105446_1_edit_1452917131337.jpg

Chicken Maryland, you can just see the ribs below the chicken. 
20151224_105832.jpg

All done, ribs (-1). 
20151224_170042_edit_1452916720655.jpg

The "whole" cook consisted of the roast, six racks of ribs, two chicken breasts (halved) and ten Maryland chicken  (thighs w/drumsticks). I had honestly bitten off more than I could chew, but somehow I pulled it off and my whole family loved it. This cook wasn't ideal, I'd rather have had the ribs on top to get more of the smoke, and the Maryland below as they received too much smoke. All in all, it wasn't ideal, but it was still delicious. There were only two pieces of chicken left over and I thought I had made too much!

I've found the hardest part to be sourcing good meat here, especially ribs, for smoking. I have found a new local butcher that seems promising, so we'll see what happens on my next cook. I've still got a lot to learn, but I learn a bit more with each cook. 

SR.

The lid fit was fine because it was above the chicken thighs, I probably could've fit more on this level. There's no way the lid would've fit over the ribs/roast/chicken/breasts which is why I did it this way.

I used two oven racks bulldog clipped together to create another level above the roast.
20151224_104338_1.jpg

Like I said earlier, it wasn't ideal but it worked.

SR.

Back