• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

New to sauce making

Hi all, as the topic states, Im new to sauce making, but have loved hot sauces for years.  I figured it was time to give it a go.  This year a friend and I planted a variety of hot peppers in our gardens, but above all we got an enormous crop of Habaneros.  We have been freezing them in large zip lock bags to stock up for when we go to make our sauces.  We are thinking of trying multiple kinds.  We will be making some fresh, some with fermented mash, some using applewood smoked habs, some with chipotle, etc.  I have been collecting links to sites with recipes, some of which I got from here.  Since we dont exactly know which ones we will like the best, Im thinking of making some small taster batches to see how the recipes turn out. 

Now on to my first question.  Looking through all these recipes, one ingredient keep recurring, carrots.  And usually the recipes are calling for a significant amount of them.  I just cant see it though....carrots?  Im interested in people experience with using carrots in sauces....with and without them, and what they think it adds or takes away from the sauce.

Thx.

Some people like the carrots, I don't use them. Think of them as a thickener that adds a touch of sweetness. Think carrot baby food. The puree of pure carrots and water. That's the profile you'd be adding to your sauce.

The Hot Pepper said:
Some people like the carrots, I don't use them. Think of them as a thickener that adds a touch of sweetness. Think carrot baby food. The puree of pure carrots and water. That's the profile you'd be adding to your sauce.
Curious, do you just eliminate them or do you use something else for body?

I don't consider it eliminating them because I don't consider them standard. It's more of an alternative ingredient, and there are many. Including peppers! Peppers bulk up just fine you just need enough of them.

Back