• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair - A Winter One

I prefer to post from the titular chair when I can. So, here I am, having found the gall to start another glog. There are still another couple few months to go before I get to eat my rookie cap, but my experience has been rich - mostly, I think, from taking my first grow way too seriously. And I've suffered for it. And I've grown for the suffering. This plant will not be suffered over, lol.

I'll be growing one plant over the winter next to my chair here in my little library. Pictured below, then, is a tiny death race. The first to slough his seed case and spread his cotys green and true will live on in glorious victory. The losers will be ceremoniously thanked and unceremoniously discarded. One plant.

20191003-182604.jpg

Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings!

That is one impressive plant Unc, I bet you'll be enjoying those pods for longer than it took to make them! Curious to see the final root system of infamous #13 on its final day, how often are you having to water these days?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mr.joe said:
Is that your led grow light with a custom built hood?

Yep, it's an HLG-100 4000K and it's done very well for me.  "Custom built hood" is pretty generous, lol.  It's cardboard wrapped in Mylar and closed with cellophane tape. 

lespaulde said:
That is one impressive plant Unc, I bet you'll be enjoying those pods for longer than it took to make them! Curious to see the final root system of infamous #13 on its final day, how often are you having to water these days?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks! My guess is that we're going to be surprised by just how limited the root system actually is.  Based on the way the fluid goes in it seems that there's no significant mass until you get as close as five inches or so from the base of the stem. I'm topping up three or four times a day, adding between two and three cups of fluid at a time. 

Uncle_Eccoli said:

Yep, it's an HLG-100 4000K and it's done very well for me.  "Custom built hood" is pretty generous, lol.  It's cardboard wrapped in Mylar and closed with cellophane tape. 

Thanks! My guess is that we're going to be surprised by just how limited the root system actually is.  Based on the way the fluid goes in it seems that there's no significant mass until you get as close as five inches or so from the base of the stem. I'm topping up three or four times a day, adding between two and three cups of fluid at a time. 

Shoot, E.  Sounds like you're filling the volume at least twice over each day!   That makes me think I should plan on using larger containers, at least once the plants get bigger.  It sure helps watching you and others so I have a better idea of what to expect, myself.  I think 1 gallon jars may be the right size by production time, as I may not be able to fill more regularly than every other day.  I also think mixing larger batches of nutrient solution, maybe 5g buckets, and then doling it out might reduce the maintenance work.

You do a great job with your Kratky.  Impressive how quickly #13 grew and produced and how good it looks.

CaneDog said:

Shoot, E.  Sounds like you're filling the volume at least twice over each day!   I suppose I am.  Sounds insane put like that.  Growing this plant has left me with the impression that it doesn't really care about the volume of its reservoir, but rather the availability and stability of the supply of water and nutrients.  I bet I could grow a fairly huge plant with decent production (and a lot less flower drop) simply by adding a larger secondary reservoir and a float valve with pump.  

That makes me think I should plan on using larger containers, at least once the plants get bigger.  It sure helps watching you and others so I have a better idea of what to expect, myself.  I think 1 gallon jars may be the right size by production time, as I may not be able to fill more regularly than every other day.  I also think mixing larger batches of nutrient solution, maybe 5g buckets, and then doling it out might reduce the maintenance work.  I'm happy to share my experiences; I've certainly benefited greatly by others' having done so. 
I'm hoping 1G works well, too, for the sake of my rocoto. Can only try it and see. In progress, as you know.  ;)
5G buckets of solution is my plan also. I'm moving my filling and mixing down to the deck this year and building overflows for my Kratky buckets to make things easier. 

You do a great job with your Kratky.  Impressive how quickly #13 grew and produced and how good it looks.  Thanks, man.  That means a lot.  I'm thinking I might hack him off short and stick him in a bonsai tray, maybe..  It's not totally woody-looking quite yet, but it's a mighty stalk he's got. 

Mr.joe said:
Ok cool, I thought you were using an hlg light. It seems to work just fine for what you are doing.  It will definitely grow a strong plant and ripen pods.  Enjoying growing this way is just a matter of setting your expectations responsibly.  This has been fun, but I'm eager for real sunlight. 

Filling up several times a day? Thirsty plant you have there.  It's really something.  The wife thought I was exaggerating when I explained how much liquid she'd have to add and how often while I was away a couple times. 

Btw, my new padawan was by today for a quick primer and to pick out his seeds. I've been trying to convince him to join up and start a glog. 

Wow, E, I'm seriously impressed. It's a stunning plant for such a small root mass. I guess pepper plants are able to be very efficient in uptake of nutrients/fluids in a hydro system such as this given the size of the plant relative to the root mass. This may explain why my float valve controlled hydro setup did so well since there was a continuous replenishment of fluids but also that the rate of consumption gets quite high as the plant gets bigger. I may try an experiment this year with smaller buckets as 5 gallons seems way more than necessary.

I had a hard time getting this guy through the door for pictures.  The plan right now is to cut him way back to make room under the light for my new starts and root the cuttings.  Or maybe I should just cut him down at the hydroton and move on..  That was the original plan, after all.

20200214-120727.jpg

20200214-120834.jpg

20200214-120954.jpg

Thanks, all.  I surely appreciate your praise. 

Okay, this guy will be hacked up and his mutilated stump stuck in here as soon as I can have it printed. I've considered rooting the cuttings, but I'm really not wild about these pods and can't think of anybody nearby who'd want clones. 

pot-and-tray.jpg

pot-and-tray-2.jpg

Back