• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair Again

Baby plants again!  Down on the floor again next to my chair in my little library.  Here's how it looks right now.  I've got seeds in the germinator moving to cups every day now, will end up with another dozen or so seedlings under the light.   

20200222-085909.jpg

I'm scaling back from the 20+ plants I had last year to seven or eight plants, some in Kratky containers of various sizes, others in fabric pots with dirt.  The list: 

10G D - Sugar Rush Peach - WDC
10G D - P. Dreadie - CD
5G D - JPGS - WHP
5G D - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 1208 Red - UE
5G K - 7 Pot Jonah - WHP
32G K - Haskorea - PtMD989
1G K - Rocoto Arequipa Giant Red - CD
Bonchi start - 7 Pot Yellow - BB

Kratky will be Botanicare CNS17 Grow and bottled spring water at first, tap water later.  Dirt will be a mix of pine bark fines, potting soil, and perlite with fish pellets.  Dirt will occasionally be watered with Kratky solution. 

I'll be growing out on the deck again on the north side of my house.  I'd love to have a wide open space with southern exposure, but this will have to do. It works. I've got a decent means of hanging shade cloth ready to go. I'm good. 
Thinking about sticking a plant in the ground over where the ill-fated Siv's Plant once made a valiant effort to survive a completely unfair transplant, too..  Will see.

Any and all comments or criticisms are very welcome and I thank you all most warmly for having me and schooling me and reading my noodlings!

"Found a couple Kratky cups bone dry.  Whoops.  Never had that happen before.  Beautiful roots inside."

Dont feel bad.  I've had that happen a couple times now with my Kratky yellow moruga that I overwintered from a cutting last fall.  I was concerned about it but so far it hasn't affected it at all.  There's even 3 or 4 peppers on it!

One of my Kratky buckets. I'll have two of these this year.  Having trouble deciding whether to poke a hole in one of my 32Gs to do this. 
Looking at the picture now I'm wondering why I didn't just put the Uniseal where I wanted the fluid level..  What's with all the elbows, lol?

20200328-140505.jpg

Haskorea.  He didn't like it much next to my chair.  I expect he'll be happier out here.  The bucket is temporary until he's got enough root to move up to the big container. 
20200404-120004.jpg

Crappy backlit picture, but bonchi is frooting!
20200404-120458.jpg

I moved an extra JPGS to a square gallon jar and the printed net cup a couple weeks ago and he did very poorly, couldn't work out why. I changed his solution and he's coming back now, so that experiment continues. No idea what was wrong with that first gallon of juice. 

Also, I dropped a seed today to be grown solely under a 30W Sansi for a while. I want to see what I can do with a clamp lamp on a table top.  Need to decide whether to start him dirt or Kratky.  I'm a little weary of mixing solution already and I only just moved up from gallon jugs (not a good sign, lol). This is why I'm only doing a couple buckets and one big garbage can this year - I schlepped enough water last year.  On the other hand, I've got a lot more dirt next to my chair this year and I've just had to put down the fungus gnats..  Either way, I mean to keep him small so he can theoretically live long term under this little light. 

Another crappy backlit shot of the bonchi.  He needs a little attention, somewhat disheveled. Guess I should've seen to it before the photo. Meh. Also his trunk has taken on an unwanted lean, dunno about correcting it.  Ah well, first attempt.  I'll need to find him a new spot once that tree fills in.. He might have to go outside.  Ultimately I'm hoping to have him shaped like one of those dragon's blood trees on Socotra.
20200413-103508.jpg

The two pods I posted earlier
20200413-103532.jpg

Haskorea bound for the 32G is happy and budding.  Wish I'd be a little more careful about centering the stems in the net pots..
20200413-140945.jpg

Everybody's been coming inside at night for the last week or so on account of nighttime lows, but it looks like I'll be outside permanently starting in a week or so.  That's when I'll start mixing dirt and moving everybody up.

Back