• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Next to My Chair Revival

20210221-102504.jpg

20210221-102235.jpg

Hardening underway. First trip outside yesterday. The Dragon's Breath plants smell scary already. 
:shocked:
20210328-091230.jpg

Something very interesting (I think) going on with the hybrid plant in growing, too. Waiting for a few more ripe pods to confirm. 

CaneDog said:
Looking good E.  Is the hybrid between your NSR and the Bold Badger mystery yellow?

Also, are those little vials on page one the type with the shaker inserts and, if so, do you mind sharing where those can be found?

Correct. That first pod I pictured above ripened bright green - like the color of an immature pod on most any other plant. Waiting to see if later pods do the same thing. 

Yep, those are they. The wife found the bottles on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D2OHBHU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_LR3RqdOswWKMh
I printed the shaker plug dealies to fit them. 

PaulG said:
When are you going to start printing houses?

Lol. Not today. 

HeatMiser said:
Looking good E!

I'm also a bit jealous that you're already taking them out to bask in the sun. We still have at least one more month of gray-ish weather in this corner of the country.

Thanks, HM! I'm cheating a bit - nights are still cold. I forgot them and left them out overnight last night. Everybody seems okay. 

Hey, Unc. How's that NSR x 7PY doing?

HeatMiser said:
Looking good E!

I'm also a bit jealous that you're already taking them out to bask in the sun. We still have at least one more month of gray-ish weather in this corner of the country.
I hope you are right that it's only
a month more, HM!

We seem to be in the last few nights
of freezing weather. The nighttime temps
look to be no lower than 38˚F and only
a few of those in Accuweather's long
term forecast for this area. I'm hoping
for some hardening off in the next couple
of weeks or month.

PaulG said:
Hey, Unc. How's that NSR x 7PY doing?

A bit yellow; I haven't been paying it much attention. I ought to get it in some dirt to go outside if I mean to keep it. Have confirmed that the pods start out purple then ripen bright green. Pretty weird. 
Can see a ripe one just left of center in the shadow. 
20210329-151550.jpg

stettoman said:
Unca Ecc! Nice to see ya sentient and back in that damned chair!

Those Aji Limo seeds you sent last year produced around 273,692 pods. I was more than whelmed...

Luck on the grow!!

Thanks!

Glad to hear the limos performed for you. I haven't been at it too long, but they're easily the most prolific variety I've seen. I've still got jar after jar full of dried pods. 

PtMD989 said:
I’ll second that on the Aji Limo[emoji106]. Once it goes into production mode, I swear that you can hear pump out the pods[emoji16][emoji106].

Daughter went out to take them down every morning. Wasn't unusual she'd come back with fifty. 

The hybrid makes three colors. Pods start out purple, then go green, then finally yellow. Is that unusual? Dunno if I've ever heard of a variety that goes green and then back to a color..

Uncle_Eccoli said:
The hybrid makes three colors. Pods start out purple, then go green, then finally yellow. Is that unusual? Dunno if I've ever heard of a variety that goes green and then back to a color..
Our Trippaul Threat 'White lightening' has some
strains that have a lime green phase between the
purple and white ripe colors.

Hey E.  I think what's happening is you have a yellow pepper with a green immature color that inherited the trait of anthocyanin in the immature pod from the NSR. 

The presence of anthocyanin in the immature pod creates a purple color that masks the appearance of green from the chlorophyll.  Without additional gene mutations, both the chlorophyll and anthocyanin in the immature pod will degrade as the pod ripens.  When both have degraded, the ultimate ripe color is revealed. 

If the anthocyanin degrades faster that the chlorophyll, then you'll see a purple immature pod revert to green before the chlorophyll degrades and reveals the ripe color.  If they degrade in the opposite order, you'd see a pepper go directly from purple to the ripe color.

Peppers that mature green have a mutation that prevents the chlorophyll from degrading as the pepper ripens and they have a mature color lighter than green, typically yellow, which, even though present in the ripe pepper, is masked by the green of the remaining chlorophyll. 

To answer your question, yeah, in my experience that's somewhat unusual.  I don't remember seeing a pepper revert from purple to a strong green color prior to ripening - though some do come to mind that transition through more of a cream color.  The certain pimenta de neyde derivatives and aji ayuyo come to mind.

Back