• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling No More Pickle Crisp????

It seems that Ball has stopped making their Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride).

I just ordered some calcium chloride from Bulk Foods...

anyone have any experience with this?...all my pickled peppers are not as firm as I would like them...

Sorry AJ, pickle crisp is a thing of the past..have to order from somewhere like bulk foods to get calcium chloride. Why I have no idea but none was available for pickling this year. Big discussion on harvest forum over at GW. I tried pickling the pepperoncini, cooking only a very few minutes in vinegar and freezing them. We had some for Thanksgiving, only change I'd make is to use less vinegar next time. I have 3 pints of canned peppers but haven't tried them yet for crispness.

From what I understand you can get Alum at the grocery store to keep pickled vegetables crisp.I plan on getting some this yr so I will let you know if it works:)

I opted for Calcium Chloride from Bulk Foods...

I opted not to use Alum because of its make up...Potassium aluminum sulfate dodecahydrate. Calcium Chloride is what Pickle Crisp was anyway...if you opt for Calcium Chloride, make sure you get food grade and not what you use for melting the ice on your driveway..

Back