• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

NO TILL GARDEN--ANY THOUGHTS?

so, ive been researching no till gardening methods and have found that most reccomend putting down 4 ply newspaper over existing grass/weeds. then putting down compost in rows to be planted, and mulch in aisles that will be walked on. when plants are ready for transplanting to outside, simply place in rows of compost and let em go. i have also read that instead of newspaper, lots of folks use black or silver plastic. any thoughts? anyone used methods like these? this if first year for large garden and would love no tilling. existing soil is nice,rich,black....., no clay or hardpan. ph is right on at 6. thx for feedback!
ps: when should i start the cover? thanks again!

If you already have rich soil, anything else you do is gravy. I would throw newspaper down. It serves three purposes: weed block, mulch, and worm food. Plastic can be used as mulch, or to kill disease in your soil before you plant. I don't know much about using plastic.

I have burried newspaper and coffee grounds all around my garden to add organic matter. I have clay soil. I also plan on using newspaper as a mulch in my pepper patch.

It might be useful to call your local newspaper to confirm that they use soy based ink.

make sure you set up for drainage.

the chilis will most always grow better with better drainage

the newspaper is used because water will get through it if you switch to a poor drainage film you are likely doing it bass ackwards

if you can "super" compost before you dig no more it probably is worth it

you may try a little side by side test with any experiment
your results are important and you may 'stumble onto' something cool

good growing

I've read some articles about no till gardening, and I'm far from sold on the idea. I agree a side by side experiment would be cool. My guess is the tilled land would produce bigger plants, and more produce, but who knows...

I am going to attempt planting clover under all my peppers this year to see if I can keep the weeds out. When winter comes I can till them in for some good organic content.

Worth trying imo. I might do the same this season. personally I wouldn't use any plastic because of the chemicals (If I can avoid using plastic, I will).

Edit: I also have huge trenches around my garden plots. These are needed for when we get heavy rain and tropical storms. They also help with weed control (still have to weed a lot though). I dug some really deep ones last year because a hurricane was headed directly at us (shifted directions and didn't hit us straight on).

No till is using the microbes in the soil to "till" for you. Topdressing an area with compost for a good while you will increase the life in the soil and create aerated breathing soil without the need for tilling. You have to feed the micro life in the soil and it will pay you back.

What you are talking about is lasagna gardening or layering- not technically no till gardening. No till gardening means not ever tilling- not just when starting a garden. Lasagna gardening can be done fine in spring and planted into as long as you are planting transplants- nothing that gets seeded. Layering can also be done really nicely in fall to have a ready to go garden in spring. In fact, I never recommend to till in lawn to start a garden; it doesn't die very easily!
I have mixed feelings about the literal 'lasagna gardening' (there is much written about this subject!) and planting in directly right away. The best thing I have ever read about starting garden space is in Gardening When it Counts by Steve Solomon who is the original founder of Territorial seeds. His method of making heaped beds is the ultimate IMO. If you are starting a new area why do a big rectangle when you have just as much square footage doing say 4 foot wide rectangles with grass in between?

To layer in fall put down cardboard and/or newspaper, grass clippings and scraps, leaves, manure, straw in layers. Cover with a tarp if desired. In spring it will be ready. Keep it awesome by having permanent paths with mulch and permanent beds that you just dump more compost on and never walk on. Work the soil without tilling and it is the ultimate. Not that I have this; I have a field.

Back