• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Noah Yates' 2014 Glog

2014 Grow list:

Home Garden:

1. Carolina Reaper
2. Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
3. Yellow Scorpion
4. TSMB special var. (sanchez)
5. 7 pot Bubblegum (pex)
6. 7 pot Primo (sanchez)
7. 7 pot Douglah
8. Bhut Jolokia Caramel
9. Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
10. Chocolate Bhut
11. Orange Habanero
12. Mustard Habanero
13. SB7J (pex)
14. Scotch Bonnet TFM
15. Datil (sanchez)
16. Aji Pineapple
17. Tobasco
18. Park's Jalapeno
19. Pepper Joe’s Jalapeno
20. Pinocchio Cayenne
21. Fresno
22. Serrano
23. Sweet Banana
24. Hot Wax Banana
25. Holy Mole Passila
26. Poblano
27. Green Bell
28. Yellow Bell
29. Chocolate Bell
30. Giant Aconcagua Sweet
31. Trinidad Perfume

Experimental Test Grow in the Bottom Lands:

1. 7pot barrackapore
2. 7 pot brainstrain 1
3. 7 pot brainstrain 2
4. 7 pot brainstrain 3
5. 7 pot primo 1
6. 7 pot primo 2
7. aji chombo
8. aji pineapple 1
9. aji pineapple 2
10. aji pineapple 3
11. bhut jolokia caramel 1
12. bhut jolokia caramel 2
13. bjic 1
14. bjic 2
15. bjic3
16. black habanero1
17. black habanero 2
18. black stinger
19. butch t 1
20. butch t 2
21. butch t 3
22. butch t 4
23. butch t 5
24. butch t 6
25. butch t 7
26. butch t 8
27. butch t 9
28. carolina reaper 1
29. carolina reaper 2
30. carolina reaper 3
31. carolina reaper 4
32. carolina reaper 5
33. carolina reaper 6
34. carolina reaper 7
35. carolina reaper 8
36. carolina reaper 9
37. choco bhut 1
38. choco bhut 2
39. choco scorp 1
40. yellow naga
41. 7 pot douglah 1
42. 7 pot douglah 2
43. 7 pot douglah 3
44. jalapeno 1
45. jamaican choco hab
46. king naga
47. moruga
48. mustard hab 1
49. mystery f1
50. orange scorpion 1
51. orange scorpion 2
52. peach bhut 1
53. peach bhut 2
54. pinocchio cayenne 1
55. pinocchio cayenne 2
56. pinocchio cayenne 3
57. scotch bonnet tfm
58. tobasco
59. yellow 7 pot
60. yellow primo 1
61. yellow primo 2
62. mystery bhut 1
63. mystery bhut 2

So I apologize for my nearly 2 months of silence.  Things have been progressing slowly but surely.  After getting all of my plants in the ground in mid May I kind of took a vacation from dealing with them (except to just water them and pull up the worst of the weeds surrounding the plants.  In the past 2 weeks my dad has helped my to get a good 4 inch layer of mulch on top of most of the home garden (as you will see there are still spots which need mulch and are being taken over by weeds.)  The plants really loved that... they are really exploding now. 

The experimental test grow in the bottom lands isnt doing too hot.  Or... well... it is doing pretty hot and thats the problem... I let it dry out a little too much.... but, hey, this is an experimental grow to find good genetics right!?!?! ---So that a little game of survival of the fittest works out fine.  It took me till the first week of June to get them in the ground too... and they were extremely unhealthy looking by the time the drought hit.  However, once I get everything mulched they should blow up pretty well.  I expect those little guys to finish out at a nice size between 3 and 4 feet tall and the same range of dimensions wide (even though they look to be pretty stunted.

In other news my worm farms are ready to be harvested and rebuilt.  Yesterday I spent about 4 hours harvesting a total of probably over 200 lbs of worm castings from 2 tubs
IMG_8382.JPG
IMG_8384.JPG

whose leftover worms and uneaten foods filled one whole tub completely.
IMG_8381.JPG

Currently I am running 14 worm farms.... 13 at home and one at my grandparents' place (not featured here):
IMG_8385.JPG

Long live the Game of Worms!!!!!
IMG_8369.JPG
IMG_8370.JPG
IMG_8371.JPG
IMG_8372.JPG
IMG_8373.JPG
IMG_8374.JPG
IMG_8375.JPG
IMG_8376.JPG
IMG_8377.JPG
IMG_8378.JPG
IMG_8379.JPG
IMG_8380.JPG

Home Garden Panoramic shot from Southeast.
IMG_8386.JPG

Row 1 (from foreground to background:  Mustard hab x3, Orange hab x2)
IMG_8388.JPG

Row 2 (from foreground to background:  Tobasco x2, Choco Bhut x3)
IMG_8389.JPG

Row 3 (from foreground to background:  Yellow Scorpion x2, Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion x8
IMG_8390.JPG

Row 4 (from foreground to background:  7 pot Douglah x2, 7 pot Bubblegum x3, 7 pot Primo x4, Scotch Bonnet TFM x 1)
IMG_8391.JPG

Row 5 (from foreground to background:  Carolina Reaper x5, Bhut Jolokia Caramel x6, Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Blend Special var. from Sanchez x3)
IMG_8392.JPG

Row 6 (All Pinocchio Cayennes x 22)
IMG_8393.JPG

Row 7 (All Jalapeno x23)  
IMG_8394.JPG

Row 8 (All Sweet Banana 7)
IMG_8395.JPG

Row 9 (from foreground to background:  Hungarian Hot Wax Banana x 4, Sweet Banana x2)
IMG_8396.JPG

Row 10 (Tomatoes alternating between Cherokee Purple, Pink Girl, Pineapple, and Magic Mountain Cherry)  All in desperate need of mulching, staking, and weeding.
IMG_8398.JPG

Rows 11 and 12 All Fresnos (12) except for 2 Holy Mole Passila Peppers at one end.
IMG_8399.JPG
IMG_8400.JPG

And now for some cool pod shots!!!!!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :party: :

Carolina Reaper ;)
IMG_8409.JPG

Carolina Reaper
IMG_8412.JPG

Carolina Reaper
IMG_8413.JPG

TSMB special var. from Sanchez
IMG_8415.JPG

Nearly Ripe Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
IMG_8416.JPG

Bubblegum 7 pot with tail and small calyx
IMG_8327.JPG

Bubblegum 7 pot with large calyx and no tail
IMG_8404.JPG

Mustard hab
IMG_8420.JPG

Mustard hab
IMG_8421.JPG

Holy crap that's a lotta worm poo. I need to start a worm farm this summer. Your garden looks like a great place for a pepper plant to grow up!
     Have you grown mustard habs before? I have two this year but I've never tried one or heard much about them. All I know is they sure are super vigorous plants. Mine are out-growing my fataliis!

dash 2 said:

Have you grown mustard habs before?

Yes... last year I had two plants that were awesome.  Very vigorous... very prolific pepper production, but slow-ripening.  Its an instant favorite of mine.  The pods are really tasty IMO.... especially when caramelized slightly.  This is a pepper that is not too over-the-top hot but definitely packs a punch.  However, last year my pods never looked anything like these do.  This phenotype is really gnarly compared to the giant tennis ball sized globes they grew into last year. (the picture is practically to scale XD)
Mustardhab2.JPG

tctenten said:
Is starting a worm farm hard or time consuming?

No.... its soooooo easy.  There is nothing to it.  People make it complicated when they buy those worm tower type deals.  I just use large plastic tubs.  Its as simple as acquiring some amount of worms (1lb or more), wetting newspapers and/or tree leaves (shred them), sctratch up some kitchen scraps (spent coffee grounds/filter, vegetable scraps,etc) and mixing them together in a plastic tub.  Add time and stir occasionally.  After a month you will notice the level of the materials in the tub start to go down...  This is because the worms are eating everyhting and condesning it into those lovely castings.  I usually harvest my castings when the bin goes from being full to being half full.  Now I will say that, while starting/running a worm farm is not too difficult or time consuming, harvesting can take a while.  It depends on your method.  But I just sieve through quarter inch hardware cloth on the first pass and do a second sieve through 1/8 inch mesh.  It takes a long time and is tedious/monotonous but exhilerating, fun, and rewarding at the same time.  But for someone with only one tub it wouldnt be so bad ;)

Noah Yates said:

Yes... last year I had two plants that were awesome.  Very vigorous... very prolific pepper production, but slow-ripening.  Its an instant favorite of mine.  The pods are really tasty IMO.... especially when caramelized slightly.  This is a pepper that is not too over-the-top hot but definitely packs a punch.  However, last year my pods never looked anything like these do.  This phenotype is really gnarly compared to the giant tennis ball sized globes they grew into last year. (the picture is practically to scale XD)

No.... its soooooo easy.  There is nothing to it.  People make it complicated when they buy those worm tower type deals.  I just use large plastic tubs.  Its as simple as acquiring some amount of worms (1lb or more), wetting newspapers and/or tree leaves (shred them), sctratch up some kitchen scraps (spent coffee grounds/filter, vegetable scraps,etc) and mixing them together in a plastic tub.  Add time and stir occasionally.  After a month you will notice the level of the materials in the tub start to go down...  This is because the worms are eating everyhting and condesning it into those lovely castings.  I usually harvest my castings when the bin goes from being full to being half full.  Now I will say that, while starting/running a worm farm is not too difficult or time consuming, harvesting can take a while.  It depends on your method.  But I just sieve through quarter inch hardware cloth on the first pass and do a second sieve through 1/8 inch mesh.  It takes a long time and is tedious/monotonous but exhilerating, fun, and rewarding at the same time.  But for someone with only one tub it wouldnt be so bad ;)

What's one more weekend project?  I saw the plastic containers you have yours in, what type of ratio of newspaper to kitchen scraps do you do?  Do you leave it uncovered?  Sorry for the newbie questions.

As I say... I dont employ the same approach alot of other vermicomposters use... so everything is improvised.  The basic idea is to provide alot of 'bedding' material. which itself will be edible to the worms, but will also kold moisture and provide a substrate for them to live and travel in.  Newspapers, leaves, some carboards, used potting soil, and unfinished compost are great bedding options because they are readily available in large quantities and cheap (if you make your own compost).  I like to use a little bit of all of them, but leaves are my primary bedding material  Keep in mind that this bedding really will be their main nutrient source.... things like coffee grounds and other vegetable and fruit scraps... yard waste, manure... etc...  will be primarily supplemental to the nutrient content of your finished worm castings.  That brings up another point... worm castings will only be as good as the diversity of foods they are fed.  I even supplement my worm farms with gypsum, organic meals, azomite, fish emulsion and all sorts of other good things.  Oh and that little bit of nasty swill at the bottom of your beer bottle..... thats the shizznits!!!!  ;)  worms love that :cheers: :beer: 

About covering your worm farm.....     you need to cover it... but at the same time allow for plenty of fresh air exchange....  I usually have a lid on that is slightly askew--- so that there are two fairly large openings on the corners.  Recently I have been using old landscaping cloth to drape across them... I like that even better.  Really the only reason you want to cover them is because the worms are averse to light... but they really love to be on the surface of the soil when feeding....

And the smell should be not unlike that of a fresh cool mist percolating from beneath the deep black topsoil of a primordial grove of world trees in an old growth forest untouched by the ravages of man :party:

But sometimes if you over-water there will be a boggy smell... In that case one should just drain the excess moisture, add some dry bedding and churn it all up.

JoynersHotPeppers said:
NY I'd say your pics are awesome as well! Your grow is looking awesome!!!!

Thank you kindly

ColdSmoke said:

What kind of screen is that you're using to filter out your worm castings?

First I run them through a quarter inch mesh.... but there are alot of worms and uneaten foods that make it through that size mesh.... so I further sieve through a 1/8 inch mesh for the really good stuff.  I do not recommend starting out with a 1/8 inch mesh, because it is so much less efficient that way.

This is the famous "bottom lands"... the site of my experimental pepper grow and my melon patch. There is a creek that runs behind the tree-line in the background.  While taking this picture I have my back to a large hill, hence the bottom lands. 
IMG_8423.JPG

The weeds are getting out of control so it's time to mulch.
IMG_8424.JPG

These little guys will be beasts by October... I guarantee it.
IMG_8426.JPG

IMG_8425.JPG

Watermelons
IMG_8428.JPG

IMG_8429.JPG

Honeydew melons
IMG_8427.JPG

Speaking of mulch.... I dont know if we have enough!?!?!
IMG_8489.JPG

IMG_8492.JPG

IMG_8493.JPG

IMG_8496.JPG

And here are some shots of the creek in the bottoms.  We grew up right here.
IMG_8441.JPG

IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8457.JPG

IMG_8456.JPG

IMG_8436.JPG

Back