• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Noah Yates' 2015 Grow Log

First Wave- Sown December 12, 2014

No star: original seeds
One star * : second generation
Two stars ** : third generation
  1. 7 pot bubblegum
  2. 7 pot douglah*
  3. 7 pot primo*
  4. 7 pot yellow
  5. aji pineapple*
  6. bhut jolokia caramel*
  7. bhut jolokia chocolate
  8. bhut jolokia indian carbon**
  9. bhut jolokia peach**
  10. carolina reaper**
  11. carolina reaper** [SIZE=8pt](ultra thin tale)[/SIZE]
  12. habanero (black**)
  13. habanero (mustard*)
  14. habanero (red savina)
  15. habanero (white)
  16. scorpion (ButchT*)
  17. scorpion (ButchT**)
  18. scorpion (jay's peach ghost*)
  19. scorpion (yellow*)
  20. scotch bonnet 7 jonah
  21. scotch bonnet 7 jonah*
  22. scotch bonnet TFM*
  23. trinidad perfume*
  24. tobasco*
[SIZE=10pt] 24varieties x 12 seeds of each = 288 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]288 plants x 1 tray/72 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Selecion-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]24 varieties x 3 best specimens =72 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]72 plants x 1 tray/18 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]=1 bank of 4ft lights

IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

Over-Winters:

Yellow Scorpion
IMG_9083.JPG

Aji Pineapple
IMG_9084.JPG

I shot the gun a bit early myself. I didn't get any frost, but the temperatures overnights weren't ideal. It was definitely a learning experience. All my plants were definitely stunted, but they're pushing forward now. While it's not what you were hoping for, at least you'll have something. Keep your head up and may the heat be with you.

I planted over 750 peppers and out of that population I have selected 12 plants to over-winter.  This year I began the process extremely early... these plants were uprooted, pruned, and transplanted in late September, when it was still warm and they had a chance to rebound under the warm sun, as opposed to my usual and unsuccessful attempts to uproot and bring in a plant in late October and early November, as the icy wind is already blowing at their roots.  

These plants seem to be extremely happy at the moment.

1 Large Orange Thai
IMG_7261.JPG

3 Pineapple Ajis
IMG_7263.JPG

IMG_7264.JPG

IMG_7265.JPG

2 Ristra Cayennes
IMG_7266.JPG

IMG_7269.JPG

2 Tanjin Jalapenos
IMG_7267.JPG

IMG_7268.JPG

And the labels for my chinenses were washed away by the morning dew.... :-/      

so one of these is a Choco Bhut and the other is a Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion
IMG_7271.JPG

IMG_7273.JPG

and one of these is a Mustard Habanero and the other is a 7 pot Jonah
IMG_7270.JPG

IMG_7272.JPG

Group Shot:
IMG_7275.JPG

The heavenly blue morning glories are stunning this year.
IMG_7156.JPG

IMG_7154.JPG

IMG_7205.JPG

Your OW'ing setup is insane!  I like that you did a lot of the work early.  I think I will try that next year.

Thanks very much for the idea!

bpiela said:
Your OW'ing setup is insane!  I like that you did a lot of the work early.  I think I will try that next year.

Thanks very much for the idea!

You are welcome... today I have actually been spraying them with neem oil... they are all very badly infested with several bugs simultaneously...  However, the bugs arent doing too much damage to the plants themselves.  They fell off by the hundreds as I was spraying... neem seed oil is the bee's knees.  After 4 or 5 applications over the next two months, I anticipate that they will be wiped out... if not I will order some ladybugs.

FWIW, I have done the ladybug thing and it works very well. It is like a scene out of a Natural Geographic movie. Ladybugs eating aphids, mass extinction, awesome stuff. If you do go there, I would be you can get some good bug netting that would fit your area well, just so you don't get too many escaping around the house.

Back