• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Noah Yates' 2015 Grow Log

First Wave- Sown December 12, 2014

No star: original seeds
One star * : second generation
Two stars ** : third generation
  1. 7 pot bubblegum
  2. 7 pot douglah*
  3. 7 pot primo*
  4. 7 pot yellow
  5. aji pineapple*
  6. bhut jolokia caramel*
  7. bhut jolokia chocolate
  8. bhut jolokia indian carbon**
  9. bhut jolokia peach**
  10. carolina reaper**
  11. carolina reaper** [SIZE=8pt](ultra thin tale)[/SIZE]
  12. habanero (black**)
  13. habanero (mustard*)
  14. habanero (red savina)
  15. habanero (white)
  16. scorpion (ButchT*)
  17. scorpion (ButchT**)
  18. scorpion (jay's peach ghost*)
  19. scorpion (yellow*)
  20. scotch bonnet 7 jonah
  21. scotch bonnet 7 jonah*
  22. scotch bonnet TFM*
  23. trinidad perfume*
  24. tobasco*
[SIZE=10pt] 24varieties x 12 seeds of each = 288 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]288 plants x 1 tray/72 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Selecion-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]24 varieties x 3 best specimens =72 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]72 plants x 1 tray/18 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]=1 bank of 4ft lights

IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

Over-Winters:

Yellow Scorpion
IMG_9083.JPG

Aji Pineapple
IMG_9084.JPG

Your pepper patch has come together really nicely it looks great.
Nice scenic shots too it looks like you have an awesome area there.

Organic soil amendments, well-water spread by sprinkler, and the occasional dose of miracle gro all purpose for now and miracle gro bloom booster later when they are more mature.  Also, I have vast quantities of worm castings that I need to seive.  Once I do that and rebuild my worm farms, I will spread those over the garden and water it in with several hundred gallons of AACT.  That will be a fun day.

.                                                                                                                                                                                                 .

Irises
IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1101.JPG

Wildflowers
IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Snowball Bush
IMG_1104.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

Gigantic Mushroom displacing Cabbage Plant
IMG_1106.JPG

Flowers and various other odds and ends that need planting
IMG_1111.JPG

Phenomenal ... what an incredible area to plant in ... so much space and all I have is a typical quaint English garden where I would struggle to get even a row in ... so jealous Noah ... a picture of your "bonnets" would be greatly appreciated

Noah thank you ... your SB7J have that "mushroom" shape mine in 2014 were more like Patrick's "grass hut" ... looking to have pods like yours this season ... great pictures will be watching these SB mature

Quite a glog Noah! It's amazing you can keep it all going. Stunning plants. And you seem to have developed good growing practices. Here's to keeping steady and happy growin!

On a side note, do you ever actually have to buy produce?

I do have to buy produce... this is my biggest year yet, and its my first time growing many of the things I am growing this season.... so we will see how things go, but my goal is to be able to go a month only having to buy meat.

I have to admit that many of the peppers arent looking very good at all right now.  Most of the larger peppers that were started in december have lost all of their old leaves, but luckily they are attempting to shoot out new leaves.  I dont know whether it is due to the cold temps/rain they were exposed to, the switch to 8+ hours of sun from 5 solid hours of sun, the soil I transplanted them into, or some disease.  Oh well.  I think they will be fine by the time pepper season really gets going in Aug, Sept, and Oct.

I love the power of numbers.  Although it spreads my resources thin, it increases my chances of having success in the end, because I can afford a loss here and there. 

Speaking of the power of numbers.... jesus...

I decided to hand water all of my peppers and tomatoes yesterday just to see how long it would take and how many barrels of water it would require.  1 full barrel will hit a little over 80 plants with a coffee can of water.  So thats about 9 barrels or 450 gallons.  Between the tomatoes getting 4 gallons each and the coffee can a peice for the peppers, it took 9 hours to do the jobs.  Let me tell you it was grueling to do all that watering by hand during the hottest day of the year (94 F.)  But I am glad I did water, becuase some of the plants probably would have died if I hadnt. 

I planted my watermelon seeds on wednesday afternoon.  I was surpised to find out that I will be growing two extra varieties (two packets of seed packs came with a couple of the varieties... the seeds I ordered and a pollinator)  Who knew!?

Unfortunately, the fact that I decided to water yesterday delayed the corn.   I was planning to till the spot for the three sister mounds (corn beans and squash.)  I need to get the corn in the ground, because apparenbtly I cant plant the beans and squash until the corn is 4'' tall.

How is this for a plan?  I am going to plant basil, marigolds, carrots, petnuias, and onions in amongst my peppers as companion plants.  I am also going to till between the rows and then sow that space with white clover as a cover crop/living mulch/companion plant.

Back