• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Noah Yates' 2015 Grow Log

First Wave- Sown December 12, 2014

No star: original seeds
One star * : second generation
Two stars ** : third generation
  1. 7 pot bubblegum
  2. 7 pot douglah*
  3. 7 pot primo*
  4. 7 pot yellow
  5. aji pineapple*
  6. bhut jolokia caramel*
  7. bhut jolokia chocolate
  8. bhut jolokia indian carbon**
  9. bhut jolokia peach**
  10. carolina reaper**
  11. carolina reaper** [SIZE=8pt](ultra thin tale)[/SIZE]
  12. habanero (black**)
  13. habanero (mustard*)
  14. habanero (red savina)
  15. habanero (white)
  16. scorpion (ButchT*)
  17. scorpion (ButchT**)
  18. scorpion (jay's peach ghost*)
  19. scorpion (yellow*)
  20. scotch bonnet 7 jonah
  21. scotch bonnet 7 jonah*
  22. scotch bonnet TFM*
  23. trinidad perfume*
  24. tobasco*
[SIZE=10pt] 24varieties x 12 seeds of each = 288 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]288 plants x 1 tray/72 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Selecion-[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]24 varieties x 3 best specimens =72 plants[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]72 plants x 1 tray/18 spaces = 4 trays[/SIZE]=1 bank of 4ft lights

IMG_9073.JPG

IMG_9074.JPG

Over-Winters:

Yellow Scorpion
IMG_9083.JPG

Aji Pineapple
IMG_9084.JPG

I am already thinking about investing in something like that this season.  Possibly cheap soaker hoses inside/protected by corrogated plastic tubes with holes poked in them in just the right places running down each row.

Corn, beans, and squash.... and cucumbers.
IMG_1297.JPG

Phoenix rising from the ashes!
IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

These purple jalapenos are already one of my new favorite varieties in terms of beauty.
IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_1313.JPG

IMG_1315.JPG

IMG_1316.JPG

Looks like the first chinense will be a scotch bonnet!
IMG_1317.JPG

Watermelons are up!!
IMG_1321.JPG

That fat old sun in the sky is falling... summer evening birds are calling... distant bells, new mown grass smells so sweet...
IMG_1322.JPG

IMG_1323.JPG

IMG_1324.JPG

IMG_1325.JPG

IMG_1327.JPG

Well, the peppers are coming along slowly but surely.  Yesterday I began the process of removing premature peppers and flowers that are forming on the all too underdeveloped plants.  I applied some 12-12-12, which has really helped to improve the peppers' condition.

I have almost everything in the ground... all that remains to be planted are gourds, ornamental and popping corn, and beans.
IMG_2180.JPG

I like your plan for companion plants for your peppers. And white clover ought to be a good choice for cover for your alleys. Attracts pollinators and other beneficial insects, fixes N2, prevents compaction and erosion etc. It requires very little water, too. So it should help keep your soil cool even when it's hot and dry out. 
     Beautiful shots of irises and sunsets, too!

Well, the peppers look exactly like they did, maybe even a little worse...  I planted too early and they were frost bitten within days of planting (unforecasted).  From then on they were stunted... it doesnt help that I made the mistake of essentially planting them into mulch.... which has resulted in them not ever being able to have enough water, and the mulch itself uses up all of the nutrients I feed... resulting in pale, yellow stunted peppers that think they are dieing so they are only wanting to grow little mini peppers and no vegetative growth.  The tobacco horn worms have had their fill of several plants as well... overall its not a pretty picture.  Frankly, I have not updated because I am embarrassed.  As I said, if you take a look at the pictures from April... you will be seeing a more healthy and robust garden than I have now at the end of June....................................................... :mope:

On the other hand, my watermelons are looking decent.  :rolleyes:  The tomatoes are also coming along slowly, because I made the same mistake with them as I did with the peppers... planting them into mulch without enough accompanying soil... so the tomatoes that should be the size of large refrigerators at this point are only like 3.5-4 feet tall.... and skinny. :tear:

I am sorry for the let-down.  It sucks, because i was saying "oh they arent doing well now, but by september we will have more peppers than we can eat," but at this rate I dont even really believe that.

I am very sorry to hear that.  You had done so much excellent work.  I know that you will bounce back and if anything, the "Noah Yates 2016 Grow Log" will be incredible!

Yes, I am going to continue to work the land and amend the soil.  I have yet to apply my vast quantities of worm castings, which will be instrumental in helping to break down the mulch. :party:

Currently, I am just hoping to be able to harvest enough peppers to have seeds for next season...

Yike! Sorry to hear about the troubles. I hate a freeze sneak up on me last year that nearly took me out of the game. Luckily it wasn't a hard freeze and I had my beeds on asphalt that held a bunch of heat.

I am sure you'll have a banner grow with the seeds you save. And I'm sure the watemelons will kick ass.

Oh no :( Really sorry to hear that, I hope you'll save them.
They always seem to spring back to life when they look dead from lack of water. Maybe this will just take a little longer.

Good luck sir!

Its a leanring process for sure!!! Thank you all for the support!  Chocolatecotchbonnet, the offer is much appreciated... we shall see how things go.  I think you are probably correct that the sheer numbers plants will work to my advantage, and when I apply these worm castings I expect them to really improve.

Back