• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Non Pepper Seeds

I am seeing what people have that are non pepper related seeds.
I am not sure what type of plants I want, that is why I am making this thread to see what everyone has and figure out what I would like to grow.
If people could post a link to what plants they have, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks.

I've grown thai basil and coriander a couple of times, the seeds are readily available online, and they make for good additions when cooking spicey food and are relatively easy to grow.
I could probably hook you up with some belgian tomato seeds from my grandfather if you'd like, i've seen him harvest 1kg tomatoes from his greenhouse before.

Spices- I grow sweet basil, marjoram, oregano, rosemary(going to buy a Bay Laurel tree), walla walla onions, garlic, chives

Berries- strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, lingonberries(going to buy goji berry plant)

Trees- 2 types of Avocado and adding a 3rd next month, Fuji apple, granny smith, sumatra mandarin orange, meyer lemon, lime, dwarf navel orange, plum, peach, nectarine.

Vegetables- tomato many varieties, 3 types of lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, swiss chard, carrots, various types of beans, spinach, cauliflower, cucumbers, zucchini, 

I am not interested in medicinal seeds or any of that sort sorry.

Thank you for your replies so far! I see a few things I may be interested in; I will wait until I get more responses to make my mind up.

hogleg said:
I would like to plant the seed of love in your heart, you are cordially invited to my drum circle in the redwoods (no shoes or colognes allowed) upon the next full moon. A Djembe drum will be provided for you, upon your arrival.  :P
and we shall burn the midnight oil !     :high:   ooooh yeah !      :onfire:

What do you want to grow? (Edible, decorative). How much space do you have?

I think fruit trees are very rewarding, especially plums or apricots. Though not grown from seeds, this is the time to plant them. They're not that expensive either.

Some rewarding vegetables are;

Tomatoes
Zucchini
Bell peppers
Okra
Eggplant
Squash
Ginger
Leek

Nice fruits are

Watermelon (mini - Sugar Baby)
Strawberry
Lichee (takes up to 6 years to fruit)
Banana (same story, big plant)

Herbs;
Basil
Mint
Chives
Thyme
Oregano
Lavender

And if you like something, Google it! There are thousands and thousands of varieties. Some are a billion times better than supermarkt stuff, as those are bred for shelf life, bulk production and consuner esthetics. An ugly tomato usually easily beats a store bought one.

There are so many different things you can grow!

In the same vein as growing peppers you can grow plum tomatoes, there are a ton of different varieties and you can preserve them by canning or process them into your very own tomato paste to use in a sauce! I can't think of something more rewarding than growing everything to make your own home made red sauce! Grow some basil, oregano, and parsley on the side and you're all set!

You can also grow your own dill and cucumbers and make your own pickles.

If food doesn't interest you there is always carnivorous plants which are fun to grow or any type of vivarium plant really.

Lastly, you could do something floral like a night blooming jasmine... Which open there flowers at night

So many options!
Can't wait to see what you go with... Make sure to update.

Some of the things I have grown are: mint, pumpkin, watermelon ( they didn't produce much maybe one tiny watermelon ), carrots, swiss chard, kale, lettuce, horseradish, sunflowers, peaches, cherries, apple, pear, and grapes.

I have tried to grow lemons and limes, but the plants didn't make it through the winter. Although I got a lemon about the size of two handfuls out of it.

I would be interested in these if anyone has seeds for them: strawberry, telegraph plant (Already messaged Cruzzfish), pumpkin (about 40-100 lbs.), sunflower, tomatoes, something carnivorous, and something decorative .

Thanks to all who have posted so far, I appreciate your time!

Watermelon needs quite some warmth and time. If you look for the variety Sugar Baby you might have more luck. I got tennisball/baseball sized very sweet melons. They are also relatively mold resistent to other larger varieties.

Pfeffer said:
What do you want to grow? (Edible, decorative). How much space do you have?

I think fruit trees are very rewarding, especially plums or apricots. Though not grown from seeds, this is the time to plant them. They're not that expensive either.

Some rewarding vegetables are;

Tomatoes
Zucchini
Bell peppers
Okra
Eggplant
Squash
Ginger
Leek

Nice fruits are

Watermelon (mini - Sugar Baby)
Strawberry
Lichee (takes up to 6 years to fruit)
Banana (same story, big plant)

Herbs;
Basil
Mint
Chives
Thyme
Oregano
Lavender

And if you like something, Google it! There are thousands and thousands of varieties. Some are a billion times better than supermarkt stuff, as those are bred for shelf life, bulk production and consuner esthetics. An ugly tomato usually easily beats a store bought one.
I am looking for some exotic fruits, decorative plants, and anything odd.

Back