• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Not-so Hot talk

most assuredly, the sheepnose pimento is a great not hot, the anaheim or new mexico is fabulous, i get nostalgic for Santa Fe everytime I smell them roasting in the oven, and rellenos mmmmmmmm, However it should be noted that the new mexico chile can reach pretty decent heat levels, when sun scorched, and underwatered, at least some of the ones that used to come out of hatch were on the thai hot tobasco scale, which is not hot per se, but to someone expecting a very mild pepper it can be a bit of a shock!

Jimmy Nardello
Once you have these, no sweet pepper will ever compare.

^^These are REALLY good. I sound like a broken record, but my current favorite sweet/non-hot is the Kaleidoscope (baccatum sp.). Prolific, VERY sweet, crunchy, good roasted, and hung on very robust plants. Set in all but the worst heat and continue to survive fairly cool temperatures as well.

No doubt about it, the C. baccatum variety Guyana PI 199506 has one of the most savory mild chile flavors I have ever experienced. The plants produce an insane amount of what looks like Aji Limon on steriods—They get up to 6 or 8 inches long, and are so juicy and crunchy that right now I'm salivating as I type this! Let me see if I can find some pix from my 2011 Grow...

Okay, Gary. Now we gotta know more. Or at least I do. You're making me want to add this to my grow list. Probably too late this year (unless someone has plants), but next year...

I was sort of dissapointed with the Nardellos. In what way do y'all like them, fresh, cooked?

Fresh, stir fried, roasted. They have always been candy sweet for me. I guess you either don't like the sugar content or aren't getting the same brix as the rest of us. :)

I never found them as sweet as advertised, and I know of others who have shared this feeling. Maybe there is some lower quality variants going around, or maybe they should be grown specifically for high brix with specific conditions/environment for peak sweetness and/or flavor.
Mine were all in pots, so maybe a garden environment would provide sweeter pods. Maybe next year

I never found them as sweet as advertised, and I know of others who have shared this feeling. Maybe there is some lower quality variants going around, or maybe they should be grown specifically for high brix with specific conditions/environment for peak sweetness and/or flavor.
Mine were all in pots, so maybe a garden environment would provide sweeter pods. Maybe next year

Jimmy Nardello's are my favorite. Potawie, they are very sweet and flavorful. They are delicious raw or cooked.

0 warning points, that good, but why is it only on my username?

My favorite way to eat Nardellos is to slice them in 1/2 the long way, remove seeds, put on cookie sheet, and pull off a little string cheese and put on the pepper. Bake in the oven at whatever temp you want and when the cheese gets a little bubbly and brown then they are ready. And they are frickin great.

I was sort of dissapointed with the Nardellos. In what way do y'all like them, fresh, cooked?

I love them fresh, fried and stuffed. I tend to get some big ones that handle light stuffing. In ground is the way to go I find the sweet pot for picking to be as soon as the whole pod is red. They are also a great complimentary pepper to mix in with the hots. When picking and eating supers in my garden I like eat a nard or two to mellow the burn when needed.

My favorite way to eat Nardellos is to slice them in 1/2 the long way, remove seeds, put on cookie sheet, and pull off a little string cheese and put on the pepper. Bake in the oven at whatever temp you want and when the cheese gets a little bubbly and brown then they are ready. And they are frickin great.

oooh I am going to have to try this. To the freezer I go.

Okay, Gary. Now we gotta know more. Or at least I do. You're making me want to add this to my grow list. Probably too late this year (unless someone has plants), but next year...

Eric, sorry I missed your post...I reckon I need to start subscribing to threads I post in...

Thanks for asking about the Guyana. I'm not growing it this year, but my brother has an overwinter that's real pretty. I've got seeds if you need some...

Like I said, it produces an insane amount of 6-8 inch pods that look a lot like Aji Limon, but taste nothing at all like them. The only adjective that I could ever come up with was "savory." That is to say that there's a ton of flavor there but it's not the typical fruitiness one associates with the C. baccatum types. Heat level is variable, from quite low to around Jalapeño strength.

This is a great chile, and, in my mind, an excellent "food type." The next time I grow it I will use tomato cages to support the plethora of skinny branches. Here's a pik from my 2011 garden—I wish I had better, but this is it for now:

PA230017.jpg

Wow. That's impressive! Gary, I'd love some seed in the fall for next year. Then again...there *will* be room in late summer for some fall-only plantings after the spring tomatoes fry.

Hmmm....

:D

Gary, what are you doing to supplement your beds? I see you're mulching, for sure. And I'll be doing that with both my bed and my pots this year.

What do you amend your garden with/fertilize with?

This question might be better posed in your glog, but either way, I can clearly learn from you.

You got 'em, Eric, whenever you get ready....

Thanks for asking about my beds—You may regret it, because here I go—That particular bed is a couple of 6-plant rows I keep at my house in town. It's in the Red River valley, but a couple of miles from the main channel, so the soil is damnably dense, sticky, red-brown clay. The reason I'm telling you all that is because it took a heck of a lot of shredded hardwood mixed in with the clay to achieve the porosity and permeability that chile plants like. On top of that, as you noticed, is a 3-4 inch thick layer of straight shredded hardwood. The first year I had hell with nitrogen starvation caused by so much rotting hardwood, but once I figured out how to properly water and feed, the plants really took off, as you can see from the photo. My primary "base" food is Osmocote 14-14-14, but I just noticed on this bag I have here that they have changed the formulation to 19-6-12.

IMG_1403.jpg

Hmmm....I'll see how that works...Anyway, it's not cheap, around $25 for 10 lbs, but you can see from the Guyana plant what excellent results it gives. What is critical, also, for these beds is the "watering channel" I finally learned how to build into the crowns of the beds. It's just an extra-thick layer of shredded hardwood along the entire crest of the beds, formed into a longitudinal channel. This allows for nice, uniform water distribution to the entire root system. It also makes it very easy to work in the Osmocote pellets. Before I built those channels I was watering twice a day, but the plants were still struggling with nitrogen starvation and dehydration.

Because it sometimes takes a couple of weeks for the plants to begin taking up nutrients from the Osmocote pellets, I often supplement with Miracle Grow Liquid. This stuff is great for a quick "nose hit" of nitrogen, which the C. annuum and C. baccatum types seem to really enjoy:

IMG_1405.jpg

Thanks again for asking about my beds. Have I ever mentioned the Canadian study that turned me onto shredded hardwood in the first place? A real eye-opener...

Thanks, Gary. And no, I haven't seen that study. If/when you get it handy, I'd love to read it.

Also, I think I'm understanding your "watering trough" as, essentially, an "M" (with a shallow top) to help hold the water long enough for it so slowly sink in instead of run off at the surface. Is that correct?

As Pepperguru says, "I thank you and the Earth thanks you."

I believe Prof. Lemieux's work will one day be seen as crucial to our understanding of not only agriculture, but also to the very way man interacts with the planet. I know that sounds hokey, but I don't say it lightly. The first paper I'm linking to is academic, but absolutely fascinating in its vision:

http://www.hydrogeoc...gcbr/doc140.pdf

The next one must have been written by one of Dr. Lemieux's students. It gives a more practical perspective on the subject:

http://dl.dropbox.co..._2007_11_27.pdf

Yes, what you said is exactly what the watering troughs are like. I could not grow my chiles as I do without them...

Back