beer November Brewdown - New England style IPA

grantmichaels said:
At a glance, and being unfamiliar with brewing that style - it looks like an ass-load of wheat and cinnamon, and half the pale malt ...

Yanked it off of HBT forum. The Kolsch recipe was from the same user. Hopefully Wheebz will look at it.
Ozzy2001 said:
I'd just raise the flakes around 10%

50-40-10 is Wheebz's rec for Blue Moonish clone. I've done it a couple of times and it's good.

His is 10% flaked oats though.
Interesting. The 50/40 is close to what I have. I rounded up on the pale malt and rounded down on the wheat.

wheebz said:
alright then

ozzy your brewing a spiced belgian, everyone can brew whatever, january we do RIS, which you can start as soon or as late as anyone wants

What is going to be the POL for the 'everyone can brew whatever' beer and for the RIS?

I used the same POL as last time, since I brewed on Sunday, and there wasn't a response on what the POL was at that time. Also, WLP 400 takes a while to fully attenuate, based on my experience from the last time using it.

Three days of fermenting with a giant krausen.

Blew a ton of stuff from the blowoff tube into this jug. I've switched out the water twice already.

wheebz said:
drank Jbeers NE IPA last night

pretty baller

ide stick with that recipe minus 10% of the wheat and add your 2 row back in to it

cinnamon and orange are good

i used 8 ounces of cinnamon for 7bbls in our Cinnamon Toast Brunch beer, so you are good

Nice work Jbeer! 

So, I think I'm out of this one. I didn't hit the bittering level I was aiming for and produced more of a hybrid beer somewhere between a west-coast and NE IPA, not highly bitter, but enough to be out of style for an NE.  It's way turbid though, so I hit on that aspect as I see everyone else did!  I think I'll take another stab at this with a half-batch and see if I can come off the bittering a bit and get that strong hop-forward taste on a sweeter malt profile.

In the meantime, I brewed a porter this week that I plan to bottle and gift out to friends for the Holidays. 6g's that I'll rack 3g's into toasted coconut and 3g's with a coffee addition.  Hopefully I'll hit on this one!

Also since wheebz has not responded yet to the POL, My 'whatever beer' for this month is my experimental attempt at a smoked rye pale ale and will be using the 10 cents again as my POL

HKb6Srt.jpg

Well yesterday was one of my longest days in recent history as I brought my neighbors to the airport early morning having to be up at 3:40 and did not get to bed until close to 1 in the morning the following day (up for over 21 straight hours) because I had the bright idea of brewing not one but two beers yesterday.  Here is most of my brew day for this beer.  One of the challenges was it was a balmy 0 degrees outside and the coldest day I have ever brewed outside

kwMobLT.jpg

Mash Temp good

pp62VNb.jpg

Wort collected in kettle and heating up

RdL7k3n.jpg

Wort beginning to boil

6Bc9WYn.jpg

Hot Break achieved

UAayAe2.jpg

First Hop Addition

wJuAHUm.jpg

Second Hop Addition

xayitWw.jpg

Third Hop Addition

When I got done brewing this batch, it was -2 degrees outside so I let it chill naturally in the freezing weather which it did nicely.  Also, in the chaotic cold, I forgot to take a picture of the OG again but it clocked in at 66

cmGJBDt.jpg

In the fermenter ready to start.  It was going pretty good this morning when I checked it.  Brew on everyone!!

Back