• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest November Throwdown - Comfort Food, 2 Sides!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's past midnight, time for the Austrats (Aussies breeding like rats) to post.

SumOfMyBits said to post my effort anyway.... & JayT said it wouldn't count. I can live with that for sure. So here's my no get a vote FAIL plus "Comfort Foods ". There's no need for a lot of photos but I'll post some and try to not clog this up with my stuff.

Here’s my entries the “Comfort Food “ Throwdown. I picked simple foods , a Meat Loaf , Potato Soup , and simple greens. My meat loaf is "Dreadie's Bad Bowy Meat Loaf " , the soup is "Not Moms Potato Soup " and the greens are "Simply Dreads Greens "

Meat loaf is often something people love or hate. When people hate it I always think “They need to taste mine !! “

Some meat loafs are simply a little chopped onion and bell peppers topped with catsup. Maybe a few spices . I feel this one kicks things up a dozen steps.

I simply love this meat loaf !! That’s why I make it 3 times as big as the basic recipe. The first servings hot from the oven are wonderful. Warming it up the next day for a left over meal is always welcomed. And just taking a slice and making a sandwich is something I look forward to. Toast some slices of bread , slather some mayo on them , some head lettuce , and a slice of the meat loaf ...... Dang !! Now that’s comfort ...... I cut some of this meat loaf into slices and bag them as servings for two and freeze them. They are always a great meal later when I don’t feel like cooking.

I do things a bit different for my meat loaf ..... Here's my act .....

Seasoning Mix Use 3 x meat 4 x spices

2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon white pepper

8 slices bacon , diced
1 1/2 cups onion chopped
1 cup celery chopped
1 cup chopped bell pepper. Red or green
4 bay leaves
1 cup tomato juice ( I used Redneck tomato paste ... catsup )
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs .......* I used quick oats and the amount seems to vary a little every time I make it.
For some heat .... I added 2 Antillais habanero type peppers. Use what you like . Peppers or hot sauce.

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees

Mix seasonings ingredients thoroughly in a small bowl.

Cook the bacon in a 10” skillet until brown and crisp. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.You are going to cook the onion and other items in the bacon fat. If there’s too much remove some.

Add the onions to the skillet and cook until the onions are golden. About 5 minutes , then add the bell pepper , celery , bay leaves , and 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and cook , stirring and scraping occasionally , for another 4 minutes or so. Add the remaining seasoning mix , tomato juice , evaporated milk , and cook for another 3 or 4 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the bacon. Let this set and cool down. All the flavors will blend during this period. You want it cool enough it won’t start cooking the eggs in the next step. Remove the bay leaves when you’re ready to move on.

Gently combine the meats , eggs , and bread crumbs in a large bowl . Add the vegetable mixture and combine until well blended. Be careful to not over work everything and pack it to tightly.

Spray a 13” x 9” loaf pan or rectangular casserole dish with a cooking spray. Put your meat mixture into the pan and mold it into a thick loaf. Bake for 30 minutes , remove from the oven and cover with catsup , turn the pan around , and bake another 15 minutes or so until it’s done.

This is what my spice and veggie mixture looks like.

MeatloafMixture.jpg

And after I got done I was rewarded with this lovely too big loaf.

MeatLoaf1.jpg

Cut into 3/4” to 1” thick slices, serve and amaze you friends.

On to the Potato Soup ..........

Seasoning Mix
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

7 large potatoes in all
12 tablespoons unsalted (1 1/2 sticks ) butter in all
1 cup grated onion ( grated on large holes of hand grater )
1 cup chopped celery
5 cups chicken stock in all
6 cups milk
2 cups sliced onions , cut in half
1 cup heavy cream

Combine seasoning ingredients in small bowl and mix thoroughly

Peel the potatoes and grate enough on large holes of grater to get 3 cups. Cut 3 of the remaining potatoes into small dice and dice the rest into a medium dice. There should be
about 8 cups diced potatoes in all.

Place a large heavy pot on high heat. Add 8 tablespoons (1 stick ) of butter , the shredded potatoes , grated onions , and celery , and cook, scraping the bottom of the pot when the mixture begins to stick. 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons of the seasoning mix and cook , scraping up the potato/onion mixture when it sticks to the bottom of the pot. The mixture will start to stick hard , but don’t let it get to dark brown or the soup will end up to dark. Add 1 cup chicken stock and scrap up the crust on the bottom of the pot.
The mixture should look like a paste. Add 3 more cups of chicken stock , scraping the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil and stir in milk , the remaining stock , and spice mixture. Cook for 2 minutes then add the diced potatoes and sliced onions. When comes back to a boil turn heat down and simmer. Cook for about 30 minutes stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan. The potatoes should be getting close to done, test a larger piece for doneness.
When potatoes are tender add the remaining butter in small pats and the cream to the pot. Whisk until the butter is well blended in and cook another 5 minutes.

Here's part of my steps .....

The Paste for not Mom's Potato Soup

PotatoPaste.jpg

This is a close up how the soup gets thick and rich ......

SoupCloseup.jpg

There is really no reason to say much about my "Simple Greens " because that's what they are . A little green onion , yellow onion , garlic , lime juice and a pepper of your choice. Collards cooked for a while then spinach added.

And now my money shot ......

DinnerPlate1.jpg

That's bacon topping the potato soup .......

I've learned a lot from you big guys ...... so next time I'll add humor shots , BOOBS , and a shot of everything I may use. My best wishes to you all !!

Peace ,
P. Dreadie

well, my best buddy and I planned a menu....and then we started planning times and.....our availabilities didnt match. We had friday night in common...but I couldnt get there till eight- and she had to get up early today to go to a conference.....so she made me comfort food and margeritas, was calling me at 7:40 to say "where are you? dinner's ready and I'm squeezing limes!" It was yummy.:lol:

To jes cook for myself, my comfort foods are one-pot meals with a side of corn chips and an apple. The pot gets used once a week, and the individual portions go in the rubbermaid.

we'll try another time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back